Fender pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Minivan Megafun, May 29, 2020.

1. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

Fender seems to have really upped their pickup game in the last 6 or so years. Especially since they revamped their entire vintage line and changed over to the "pure vintage" pickups. Used to be you would have to go boutique or aftermarket (like Seymour Duncan) to get really good vintage style pickups but I gotta say the newer Fender stuff really goes toe to toe with them. I put a set of '59 Strat pickups in my Highway One and they're awesome. Today I just put a set of '64 Tele pickups into my American Standard and wow they are impressive!

So yeah, I've run through a whole lot of different aftermarket pickups and lately I'm seriously digging what Fender has got going on.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Wobbles, 2HBStrat, black_doug and 7 others like this.
  2. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

I like my nocasters on the Tele and cs 69 on strat neck and middle .

Great pickups.

RodeoTex likes this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

American Vintage and Original Vintage pickups are all fine and always have been.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’ve been admiring the ‘64 Tele pups for awhile. Just don’t have a Tele project to put some in right now.

AlbertaGriff and Fretting out like this.
  5. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

I've got Nocasters in my Tele, and AVRI pickups in my Squire Jaguar. They sound tremendous!

Fretting out likes this.
  6. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

This is a cosmic thread!
    I was just thinking about this this morning , when playing my tele I was thinking how fender pickups are underrated

I have a A.O 60’s tele with 64 pickups and it sounds great, I also have an A.V 65 Strat with the 65 strat pickups and it sounds amazing both are awesome bone stock

7. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

OV tele, 59-62 strat, 62 jbass, and vintage PBass on my instruments.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’ve always liked Fender pickups.

I’ve never been a fan of Squier or MIM pickups. But the MIA stuff has always been great. The pickups that came in the 52 RI Teles and 57RI strats I was playing back in the 90’s and early 00’s were fantastic. And I’ve always really liked the American std pickups and electronics. All the way up until 97 when they went to the delta tone with the no-load tone pot. Before that I never felt the need to change anything out for any reason other than just experimentation for fun. There was never anything wrong with them. Lately they’ve been really good again.

telemnemonics and Fretting out like this.
  9. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

ha ha.... there's a story about Jeff Beck that Fender wanted to build him a signature Strat, and they asked what he would like. he said build me one like you did in 1954.

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. RhythmFender

RhythmFender Tele-Meister

Agreed. My 1996 MIM Strat has Seymour Duncan ssl-1’s in it. It sounds really great. They’re excellent pickups.

Just bought a Vintera 50’s tele and wasn’t sure what I’d think of the pups but I have to say after a few weeks I’m really happy with them. Was all ready to change them if I felt the need but it’s just not necessary. It sounds great to my ears.

gwjensen likes this.
  11. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In strats I had a MIM classic 60's strat and its pickups sounded great, I like 57/62's, and 54's- In teles I like the nocasters, 62, 64 and American standard. They all sound a bit different but they all sound really good

12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I'm a fan of Fender factory pickups, both US and MIM.

13. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

The Fender Original Vintage pickups, especially the neck pickup, are in my opinion, very good indeed.

howardlo and RodeoTex like this.
  14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Having tried many aftermarket pickups from Barden to SD, to Fralin to Lollar, to others. I ended up with Fender SC's in every guitar. They have had plenty of good choices along the way for quite a a while.
    It's not a particularly highly scientific endeavor and there is no justification for boutique prices other than buying a name.

15. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

Love me some Nocasters. The 64’s and 62 customs are also fab.

8trackmind likes this.
  16. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

It's not that Fender pickups are underrated, it's that the boutiques are overrated. A lot of the good vibes has more to do with their good customer service than it does the pickups themselves. When you buy boutique, you're usually interacting the president and CEO of the company.

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I think it's been a little longer than six years since Fender started making good pickups!
    But the rep has been developing again, as Fender hate on the internet (for ruining some model or offering too many models or not getting the finish perfect enough or not getting the finish ragged enough etc etc), sort of ebbs and flows with the fickle market.
    I have the impression that a lot of the "revamped" pickup line is just the same basic pickups with different names.
    At least some of the "Pure vintage" models are the same as the former "Original Vintage", some of which were packaged without the word "Original" and only labeled "Vintage".

To me they have always made great pickups, and I started buying them used in the '70s when the aftermarket pickup craze started.
    During that time when old Marshalls didn't have enough gain for the changing Rock guitar sound, the Dimarzio Super Distortion kicked lots of original pickups out of guitars, and those originals became unwanted trash for a few years.

I have Fender pickups from every decade since the first of them, including one from a '40s Champion lap steel like Keef prefers.
    I also like plain jane US vintage style Fender pickups pulled out of 21st C Jazzmasters.

Sounds great!
    Less costly!

CFFF likes this.
  18. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

I've had good experience with Av64 and OV on Teles, and CS69 on Strats.

19. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My AV58 sounds just fine.

20. Blue vista

Blue vista TDPRI Member

I just put a set of pure vintage 64s in my Telecaster yesterday and there in to stay.

MickM, Rumblur and Minivan Megafun like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.