1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Pickups for Telecaster - OV or Nocaster?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Hadlander, May 8, 2019.

1. Hadlander

Hadlander TDPRI Member

Hello all,

I'm looking to swap my Harmonic Design (Super90-Bridge, Vintage+ - Neck) out of my telecaster fore something more traditional. My amps tend to be warm/dark, and I'm chasing something clearer in sound/tone.

I've been looking over Fender's official tele pickups, and I go back and forth between the Original Vintage and the '51 NoCasters (and sometimes the PV 64s, but I go back and forth on those).

I've fond some clips online of both pickups and action, but I'm still having trouble deciding between the two, and I don't know if the Nocasters will lack the clarity I'm looking for, or if the OVs will be too thin. Any experience with either set?

If it helps, I've been playing a lot of 50s/60s era rock and roll, soul, blues and rockabilly-type stuff lately, if that helps. No OD/Distorition effects (I really on natural breakup with my guitar/amp), some delay/reverb.

2. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

The thing is, there's no way to know which one will sound better in your guitar with your hands and your amp... A lot of us have learned that the hard way. You'll just have to try them out for yourself. You can always purchase them used and sell whichever one doesn't work for you

In my experience, the Nocasters are a little "thicker" in the upper mids and have a touch more "snarl" on the lower strings. The Nocasters sound a little more "50's" and the Vintage a little more "60's". The Nocasters have a bit more of their own sound, the Vintage seems to be a little more of a pickup that can change tones based on attack, amp, etc...

3. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I never tried the "Nocasters". Love my "OVs"

4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

^^^ same here.

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

For clarity the OVs win. They still have some grind if you crank it, can do blues and most styles bar 90s pointy headstock and metal. I love the Nocaster bridge, and the Twisted Tele neck pickup is a big clanging clear bell of a covered neck pickup - combined they're a bit fatter and will overdrive most amps sooner. You can't pull that extra furriness out, you can boost the OVs to the same. I'd have the Nocasters - but if you want clear bitey with a bit of woody grind the OVs are great. The staggered pole 62 set is rarer but worth seeking out if you have a vintage radius neck.

1revcapps and Ricky D. like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.