Fender Pickguards vs Squier Affinity J Bass...They Don't Fit!

Randypttt

Friend of Leo's
I realized after watching a few repair vids and some sites on Jazz basses that the neck is not flush with the fretboard on the Fender but slightly overlaps.

The Affinity's rosewood fb I believe is the same width but is flush with the neck end.

Also the cut for the pickup seems too small as well.

So the question is: out of all the parts supply places, which have the one's that fit?

All common knowledge I'm sure. Not a bass player by trade just use them for my studio work. Fairly ignorant otherwise.

I've started with the files and sandpaper but it's been a dubious production to say the least :rolleyes:

Appreciate any help you can give.

kodiakblair

Tele-Meister
which have the one's that fit?
This depends on where the Squier was built and when.

With different factories using different suppliers there's quite a variation.

Reason Fender parts are not exact fits on Squiers is both valid and by design , to avoid Squiers with Fender parts being sold as genuine Fenders. You'll find differences from MIM and MIJ Fenders too.

Sometimes there's an easy fix for the pickups , simply change the cover/shell to one the correct size.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
Squier has done a good job in recent years of standardizing the sizes of pickguards and such, but really only among the higher parts of their food chain. Classic Vibe, some Vintage Modified and such can swap with Fender parts more easily.

This generally doesn't extend to the Bullet or Affinity range.

So yeah...files and sandpaper. By the time you get enough material off for it to fit, you'll be better at the process.

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
I realized after watching a few repair vids and some sites on Jazz basses that the neck is not flush with the fretboard on the Fender but slightly overlaps.

The Affinity's rosewood fb I believe is the same width but is flush with the neck end.

Also the cut for the pickup seems too small as well.

So the question is: out of all the parts supply places, which have the one's that fit?

All common knowledge I'm sure. Not a bass player by trade just use them for my studio work. Fairly ignorant otherwise.

I've started with the files and sandpaper but it's been a dubious production to say the least :rolleyes:

Appreciate any help you can give.
I am not familiar with your issue, but I was considering assembling a jazz bass so I'm curious.

What models are you working with?

Is this a rosewood fretboard or maple?

Is it a 20 fret neck? Is there an overhang like on 22 fret Strats and Teles?

Pics would be great!

Randypttt

Friend of Leo's
This depends on where the Squier was built and when.

With different factories using different suppliers there's quite a variation.

Reason Fender parts are not exact fits on Squiers is both valid and by design , to avoid Squiers with Fender parts being sold as genuine Fenders. You'll find differences from MIM and MIJ Fenders too.

Sometimes there's an easy fix for the pickups , simply change the cover/shell to one the correct size.

I mixed and matched up some parts between my 2003 Squier Standard (rt) and a new CV60 just for kicks. I only had to mess with some holes around the pole pieces to line things up. Otherwise all went fine. Since they discontinued the Standard I guess we'll never know if it was just a fluke or what (if you're wondering what a Standard is doing with a maple neck it's a Mighty Mite)

IMG_1168.jpg

Squier has done a good job in recent years of standardizing the sizes of pickguards and such, but really only among the higher parts of their food chain. Classic Vibe, some Vintage Modified and such can swap with Fender parts more easily.

This generally doesn't extend to the Bullet or Affinity range.

So yeah...files and sandpaper. By the time you get enough material off for it to fit, you'll be better at the process.

Thanks to both of you. Had a feeling I wasn't going to hear what I wanted to hear. Just finished with the files. Made a bit of a mess but unless you got your eyeballs stuck between the strings you wouldn't notice. It's all black on black now and the tri-ply white doesn't really glare out around the pickups. As frustrating as it was it worked out okay and, yes, backporchmusic, I acquired some skill. A little anyway ;)
Thanks again guys

Randypttt

Friend of Leo's
I am not familiar with your issue, but I was considering assembling a jazz bass so I'm curious.

What models are you working with?

Is this a rosewood fretboard or maple?

Is it a 20 fret neck? Is there an overhang like on 22 fret Strats and Teles?

Pics would be great![/QUOTE/]

Just replacing the pg on a 09 Indonesian Affinity. Rosewood 20 fret fretboard. No overhang.
Here's some pics
20211226_151037.jpg 20211226_151110.jpg

Last edited:

kodiakblair

Tele-Meister
@Randypttt

"Just replacing the pg on a 09 Indonesian Affinity"

Could be the angle of the photo but I've a feeling that jazz bass may have had 2 bridge pickups fitted , it's not uncommon to see in more affordable basses. There's a slight size difference between bridge and neck pickups , neck is smaller as string spacing narrows towards the nut.

This would explain the PG cutout being tight.