Fender Performer vs Fender Vintera

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Wijnand, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Wijnand

Wijnand TDPRI Member

I want a Tele with humbucker in the front.
    i'm confused cause the new MiM 70's Vintera with humbucker are here while the USA performer tele's just been released some months ago.

Different specs, just a few bucks more for the USA tele.

Which should i get and why ?

2. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I haven't played either, but the USA will have much better resale value if you ever want to sell.

3. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

The spec has some features closer to the professional line. The satin neck, overall fit and finish and circuitry should be a bit of an upgrade, but it's probably down to personal choice as to how much that means...

4. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

Play'em and see which speaks to ya.

NewKid likes this.
  5. Wijnand

Wijnand TDPRI Member

Not possible here buddy, we have nog guitar shops which have them both, only online webshops which have destroyed almost all little shops that's why it's hard for the little shops to have those new models in stock. wouldn't make sense to have them in shop cause fender doens't make MAP prices. so online shops beat them all to death with low prices.

6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I don't like the pale look of the Performer headstock,, which makes it look cheap like a Squier Affinity. not that I'm down on the Squier at all, it is a decent enough guitar. The jumbo frets were fine, but not for everyone. The Vintera is a nice looking neck and headstock and is darker in colour, which for me looks great. It I think has medium jumbo frets, but then I've only played mine once, twice and can't remember exactly.
    Then you've got to weigh up the USA made vs Mex thing, resale etc, but in all fairness you have to put into equation playability for yourself; the most important factor of all. Forget all the aesthetics I mentioned, you personally have to be 100% satisfied as it's a lot of money to lay out on a guitar you may not like. The only way to do this, is to go and play one, happy hunting.

Edit:
    Sorry didn't see your reply before I posted. I can only then suggest YouTube and similar online demos.

7. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

1. I played a blonde performer with a humbucker in the neck position a couple of months ago. Great guitar! In fact, if I hadn't bought a Taylor acoustic right before that, I would be seriously tempted. I haven't played a Vintera, though.

Wijnand likes this.
  8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's hard since you aren't able to play them both - but the guitars will have a completely different feel to them.

The as others have said the American Performer is modern-spec: 1.685" nut width, 9.5" radius, jumbo frets, modern C neck with a 4-bolt attachment. The pickups will be a preference thing - the American Performer humbucker is splittable. The American Performer has traditional Tele controls on the plate - 3-way blade switch, master volume, master tone (push-pull on the tone to split the humbucker).

The Vintera '70s Tele Custom is a reasonably detailed replica of the 1972 Tele Custom design, so it has a vintage-style neck: 1.650" nut width, 7.24" radius, vintage frets, a shape they are calling "thin C" (but they haven't released their target specs yet), 3-bolt micro-tilt neck. Control wise it is like a Les Paul - 3-way toggle switch on the upper bought, separate volume and tone for each pickup. The humbucker isn't a recreation of the original "Wide Range" humbucker; it's a normal humbucker under the cover.

It will come down to personal preference - do you like the vintage 70s style or do you prefer a more modern style.

9. Fendereedo

So the HB is not wide range? Fender are selling it as that. They really want to change that nugget of information, as that really is not on. I may send mine back now I know that.

10. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

It is a wide range humbucker, but they use different magnets than they did in the '70s. I had a WRH Telecaster in the 70s and I have a newer MIM with the new WRH pickups. They're not exact, but close enough for my ears.

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

It's regular humbucker coils under the WRHB cover. There are some naked modern WRHB pics on here but I forget which thread they are in.

The aftermarket has a far better selection of WRHBs ...but none are vintage correct.

Telenator (I think that's the name, of not someone will correct me) made real cunife magnet WRHBs for a period of time but they are no longer in business.

Expect to pay 4-5 Benjamin's for the real deal.

Fendereedo likes this.
  12. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sorry for sowing confusion - so what exactly is the deal with these? Are they wide-range style with more normal magnets? Is it just the covers (like the Shawbucker pickups on the American Professional Deluxe HH Tele)? Something in-between?

13. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Normal HB coils spaced apart to align with the wider spacing of the WRHB.

Idk what magnet Fender is currently using but they sound like A5 to my ears.

Some makers use a combo of alnico mags and others use anything from A2 to A5.

To my ears none capture the essence of WRHB ...but there are some great sounding in clones out there .

There's a couple you tube vids with WRHB comparisons. I'd check those out if you'd like to learn more about the WRHBs.

14. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

FYI, call me crazy, but I think a P90 sounds closer to a WRHB than any HB pickup I've played. I did have an original Custom telecaster back in the 70s, but it's been so long that my perceptions are probably less than accurate regarding what it sounded like...

15. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

If you sit in your bedroom and listen, they won't be exactly the same, but if you're playing live, it'll be close enough.

16. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Vinteras are reissues, some of which are "vintage-modified." You get old-school radius and frets on everything (good things IMO).

American Performers are not reissues, and they have modern radius and frets.

When I go for a reissue, I want an original style finish – i.e. lacquer, so it feels and looks (over time) like what it is "supposed" to be. So I am passing on the Vinteras, as I passed on the Classic Series before them (same thing, only cheaper). If I was getting a urethane finished guitar, I would go with American Performer instead (as I have, in the case of the Mustang Bass).

Both lines are overpriced IMO. They should, at the very least, come with hardshell cases or truly high quality gig bags at those prices. The bags they come with are garbage.

17. Fendereedo

Thanks for the explanation all. I still think Fender should be more descriptive with the product they sell though.

18. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

They are fairly descriptive, and every specs difference I just told you is from their own descriptions.

Fendereedo likes this.
  19. Fendereedo

So you did lol. Ignore me it's late here....zzzzz

20. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

I have the previous generation of American Special and Road Worn 50s - with standard Tele neck pickup.

I like the modern neck, jumbo frets and satin finish of the American Special the best.

My Daphne Blue American Special also has my favorite color. The neck and color combo do it for me. I get the sound I want from the stock pickups by using a great amp and adjusting the tone controls to taste.

I have always wanted a humbucker neck pickup more because they look cool rather than for the sound. I can certainly live without one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.