1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Parts Nerds: What Tele is this Fender neck designed for?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by aguynamedben, Jan 24, 2021.

1. aguynamedben

aguynamedben TDPRI Member

I found this interesting neck on Stratosphere. It looks like an official replacement part, but very specifically says its for a

NECK 62 CUSTOM RW 9.5R LAC B/P
    (part number 7714820821)

It looks like it’s probably:
    * 9.5” radius (“9.5R”)
    * nitro lacquer finish (“LAC”)
    * rosewood (“RW”)
    * some sort medium-high end 62 Tele Custom reissue or AVRI/Wildwood/Dave’s/FSR

Unknown:
    * what is B/P in the part description?
    * neck shape? My guess is some sort of “vintage 60s”
    * frets? Can somebody tell from the picture?

Does anybody know what guitar this neck was originally designed for? It looks like Dave’s had a 62 “thin skin”. The neck seems to be designed for some 62 Tele Custom (i.e. double bound), I’m just not sure which model.

https://reverb.com/item/35851292-ne...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=35851292

2. aguynamedben

3. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I don't think it's an 'AVRI' neck as those were all 7.25" radius, I believe.

SheldonP and aguynamedben like this.
  4. aguynamedben

Oh yeah, good point. Hmmm.

I’m guessing if it’s 9.5 radius those frets are more likely to be “vintage tall” 6105 types than normal vintage frets, but I can’t tell from the picture.

Interestingly there are 2 different listings in their site. Here’s to hoping they dug them out of the back of Wildwood’s or Dave’s closet?

I have a “thin skin” strat from Wildwood that is 9.5” radius and vintage tall frets, that’s kind of why this one caught my eye.

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

That is sweet, very dark rosewood with closed grain.

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That’s all what I’m thinking too, but to be sure why don’t you email FMIC? They can confirm it. No, it’s not an AV, same reasoning. I have vague memory of a 9.5” double bound model last year but not sure (TS at Wildwood is also my feeling).

My guess is it’s a 60s full C, which usually start thin and ramp up to nearly an inch at the 12th, but just a guess.

aguynamedben likes this.
  7. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

What if anything is the relationship of Reverb to Stratosphere? I remember when a user/business called Stratosphere was often seen on eBay and seemed to be parting out lots of guitars, especially teles; and I don’t see that now. And recently I had found Reverb on a web (google) search and from links other members had posted here. Did stratosphere seem to have become reverb?

8. sswoverl

sswoverl TDPRI Member

Stratosphere is a business that does exactly what you have described. They sell guitar parts.

They list their items on their own website, but also on Reverb, like many other retailers.

9. aguynamedben

There are actually 2 of these necks listed on Stratosphere and Reverb. Here’s the other one.

https://reverb.com/item/38458625-ne...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=38458625

However, on this one, the neck pocket area seems to have a cavity (for neck angle adjustment?). I wouldn’t expect one of those on a 62 Custom Telecaster. Plus on that one, the headstock doesn’t say Custom Telecaster.

Stratosphere doesn’t guarantee the pictures+listings line up for certain listings, so it might be kind of a flyer either way.

10. aguynamedben

Just bought it. I had a good experience returning a mystery neck with Stratosphere customer service before.

We’ll see... if it’s what I think it is it will be a great change-up to my white guard super light ash Tele that is 6.3lbs, and I’ve been wanting to build a Custom Telecaster build anyway!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.