Fender P/J Neck Issue

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Flynztone, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

Someone help me GuitarBuilder are you still around? I have a Fender P/J bass here a dear friend of mine brought to me for some work. He had removed the frets on this bass back in the 1980's whilst going through a Jaco phase of his playing career. Well he did a terrible job and chipped out the fretboard real bad. He brought it to me to fret the damn thing so I said no problem but this bass needs a new finger board. Well I got the old damaged fingerboard off with no problems and bought a pre-slotted rosewood fret board from StewMac. Got the new fretboard ready to glue up and noticed the neck has a bit of back bow. The truss rod was loosened all the way and still the back bow remains. I don't want to glue this up in this condition and introduce un-necessary stress on this beautiful fret board. What to do? Take the neck to my jointer and flatten it out very carefully? Install a 2 way truss rod? Try a card scraper to get the hump out? I don't know what to do but I know I don't want to glue it up with un-necessary stress.

Someone please help and thanks in advance

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm here..... where have you been? Last we knew...down South...

I'm not a repair guy though, and that is who should be giving you advise, somebody that does that kind of repair on a regular basis. The only thing I can think of is to clamp the neck to a dead flat surface and force it straight for a while, then add the fretboard back on.... The little time I worked in the repair shop, necks with backbow still retained the fretboard, but got heated on the neck side, and the fretboard was " slipped" within clamps and cauls to help correct a back bow, allowing the glue to harden again. I'd advise against taking wood off, but that's me. Good to hear from you! I bet you miss the city tap water, eh.....:).

3. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

Ha on the city tap water and I'm in the township so that didn't affect me but what a mess that still is. I'm still going back and forth from Michigan and Georgia. I've been around and knocked out (3) Tele type guitars but my heart is in acoustic guitars and I'm about to embark on a Benedetto style archtop. I think you knew that was my ambition as a luthier wanna be.

Yeah I don't know what to do here and I have a call in to the repair guys at StewMac and waiting on a return call. I'm very tempted to take this damn thing to my jointer though as it's just a few thousands and I'd barely have to scratch this neck with the jointer. I wish it were a forward bow that would be an easy fix

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.