Fender P-Bass Pickup - Different magnetisation between E+A and D+G sections?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by NeilMcG, Nov 22, 2017.

1. NeilMcG

NeilMcG TDPRI Member

Just got a new P-bass pickup (Fender Original Vintage #0992046000 - alnico 5, "vintage 62" design) and in the process of messing around with it I offered up an allan key to the pole pieces to see how heavily magnetised they were.

It looks to me like the 4 poles in the D+G section of the pickup are more heavily magnetised compared to the 4 poles in the E+A section. (the level of magnetisation appears the same within each section though)

Has anyone else seen this? I've never seen this mentioned before, but it looks like a way of balancing the different string output.

2. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

Never heard of it...

3. NeilMcG

NeilMcG TDPRI Member

Installed it today and it works fine, so that different magnetisation level must be intentional.

I thought one of the pickup gurus on this board may pipe up with more info. I'll try TalkBass, see if anyone knows there. I'm curious!

4. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

For a P62 there is NO NEED for different magnets as each string an be hights-adjusted by the PU.

AND I did a lot of research on Leo's work.
    He made everything as simple as possible for his workers (to keep a qualtiy standard). Different magnets? No...

5. BCbassman

BCbassman TDPRI Member

Well he did not say that the magnets were different, just that one half of the pickup was more heavily magnetized. I suppose that is possible because its probably impossible to make two halves of a pickup exactly the same magnetism. The pickup is humbucking as all P-bass pickups and that is what makes them work so well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.