Fender Ought Regularly Visit the Parallel Universe

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Veeseaczar, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

I'd straight up buy a hardtail strat tomorrow.

t guitar floyd and Fiesta Red like this.
  2. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

Guitarists have no real room to be conservative with an instrument developed mostly by accident for the last 70 years. The violin by contrast is 400 years old. That luthiery community has reason to be conservative--they perfected the sound of the instrument in response music hall design, orchestral arrangement practices, and its role as a solo instrument.

The electric guitar is not even close to being an optimal instrument yet, because its role and usage is still changing, and so is its very important second half--the amplifier.

Honestly the cantankerous adherence to orthodoxy is so tribal and pointless. I don't think most people on forums even think or believe the slogans they throw around, they just know youre supposed to. We hit upon some stuff from 57 to 78 that sounded pretty good, and we're just sort of now figuring out why thats the case.

There is literally zero reason to be religious about anything other than maybe some very distilled basics when it comes to the electric guitar, and those would be something like:

1) Overdrive is Pretty. 2) Longer Instruments are Brighter, Shorter Ones are Warmer. 3) Stable Intonation is Preferable to The Opposite 4) Cutting Through The Mix is Usually Good, Except When it Isn't.

Other than that, the whole modern history of the instruments deployment has been mostly story of heroes and their idiosyncracies. To insist on things like objectively bad bridge design and resist well thought out changes and design experiments is like insisting music was only good before 78.

End rant.

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

O
    Ok I'll play your silly game. :rolleyes:

What's innovative, really, about a Fender looking like a rival brand's instrument? The Cabronita Tele was an interesting take on a guitar with Gretsch pickups but still a Tele. These are not some big innovation - no new electronics, or engineering, or really anything much.

What's innovative about a Les Paul Tele or Gretschocaster? Or for that matter a Jazzmastercaster when you can buy a very similar instrument that's the real thing.

Innovative marketing. Not revolutionary. They'll sell a bunch to guys who are committed Fender buyers. Then they'll dry up.

Clever, and cleverer than Gibson. With the cheapo M2 and Firebird Zero which probably lost money - you don't make much on really cheap guitars but I bet most of these Fender-Pretenders are dearer than their normal MIM or MIC or MIM compatriots.

They'll scatter these through some endorsees and sell a bunch which is great for Fender's bottom line . But net contribution to guitar universe - any one - not much. Good for Fender - meh for most people.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    NWinther likes this.
  4. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

These are ugly bassturds! I don't recognize the tele-Strat as either one of those. And the price? Ridiculous!

5. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

tumblr_o6fec8zR3r1v0j948o1_500.png

hellopike and Veeseaczar like this.
  6. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

A period-correct, relic-ed block of wood.

7. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Limited runs like this are a great way to test the market before releasing regular production models.

8. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

This is all my point. Its not very innovative. That they see it as a big risk to change it up only sometimes with only nominal design differences is frustrating.

You could equally say the majority of differences between most Telecasters and Stratocasters in Fenders lineup are even *less* meaningful than these new ones.

t guitar floyd and Jupiter like this.
  9. R00STER

R00STER TDPRI Member

Maple or roseweood?

10. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

I kinda like the White Guard Stat. But I already have a Tele and a Strat. I've spent years getting my small six guitar collection together. Lots of buying, trading and selling. Unfortunately, I don't want/need another guitar in my collection. I see these as an, "in addition" to what I already own. For collectors, they look like a fun addition.

If I we're to get one, it would probably be the White Guard Strat. But then, it would be the first one to go, if I saw something else I liked better.

11. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Tele-Meister

There are people over there who think a Jazzmaster is some sort of horrible abomination, never mind these things. Whatever.

12. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

I want block inlays on the Tele Troublemaker. And a Tele Strat. Need more money:)

13. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

To me these models are offered to blunt the sales of Fano guitars. Since the Fano company let their founder go, they are edging into high volume sales. They are Fender's 'Alt De Facto' series.

I just yawn as I don't like Fano guitars, and most of these are the same pickup offerings as the Tele, Jazzmaster, and Jaguar.
    Fender is just changing bodies and headstocks, which to Fano is innovative change, and to Fender is underwhelming. Both are ho hum.

14. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

Looks kinda sweet but Jaguarillo is short scale. I stuck a Strat neck on a Mustang body once and moved the bridge. It worked but this thing turned into a really long guitar...

15. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hey you forgot 5) Tonewood is vitally important and it's irrelevant; 6) Rosewood fretboards are mellow and maple are bright and snappy! :p

Veeseaczar likes this.
  16. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Re: Troublemaker Tele

To me, that large Strat headstock looks horrible.

Otherwise, I could be interested.

MonkeyJefferson likes this.
  17. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

61523927-C251-4D4C-A7AD-0D201CA57228.jpeg Man, someone pointed one thing to me that I can’t get over on the Jaguar/Strat-

The switch is *so* close to the pickups and is really looks like it will interfere with strumming.

18. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

True. Dumb move. Maybe mustang style switches would have been a better move.

19. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

I’d want either of the Tele models, but have no interest because of the headstocks not being Tele-style.

I got to play a real 50’s hardtail Strat in Louisville in 1988. Unless you’ve played one, I’d reserve judgement. That Buddy Holly guy was pretty ok sounding.

20. Mike L

Mike L TDPRI Member

I'm not sure what your main point is but I like the Tele with 2 humbuckers. What I don't like is the price which is around $800 more than a similar Les Paul. I used to have a LP that I liked but I prefer a longer scale. This Tele meets the demand for people that like me prefer a 25.5 scale.

Last year Fender came out with a similar model in the Pro line only available in Crimson Red. I don't think they sold very many of those, probably because of the ugly pickguard that covers half of the body. You can buy the Pro for around $1400 and it's basically the same as the troublemaker which runs around $2000.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Crobbins likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.