Fender new real tube series effects

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by rze99, May 22, 2020.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Well, they are $200, so I doubt I would ever be tempted - but lots of OD pedals cost $200 nowadays, so there must be a market and it's not me.
    I think that if tube pedals were truly better, they would have taken a bigger market share the first two or three times they came around.
    I also can't really comprehend the "two footswitch buttons in a fairly standard sized housing" approach. I made the mistake of buying a couple of those little Keeley mini-mfx. Just useless for playing live. Maybe there are a lot guitarists around with really tiny feet, eagle eyes and the coordination of a ballet dancer?

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The B.K. Butler units and that Mesa V-Twin, both of which are 120VAC powered, are the best tube pedals I have heard....and beat any SS unit I have heard....bar none. The in-circuit tube overdrive in the Fender Pro Sonic amp will...and has...exhibited superior Sonics in comparison with a few high dollar SS units. That said, little SS pedals are a bit more pedalboard friendly with regard to size.

and...if one is trying to recreate the overdrive/distortion tones that were created back before tube amp designed began to delve into high gain preamps, the vintage SS units might be the only way to get there.......unless there is a modern clone of same which is accurate to the old stuff. Ex: EH Big Muff, Maestro FZ-1.....

and...whadahey....the differences are not going to be heard by anyone except a discerning guitarist, right....or the producers in a studio if they have their ears on.

3. doghouseman

doghouseman TDPRI Member

I have a voice mail from Eric Johnson from about 15 years ago were he was looking for a Chandler tube driver that a friend of mine was selling. THe Chandler is similar to the Butler?? Anyway, EJ likes them.

4. doghouseman

doghouseman TDPRI Member

I played a Mesa V-Twin into a Vintage 1964 Fender Twin at a guitar shop once and it was pretty much the best tone I have ever heard. I couldn't afford either Twin though.

Wally likes this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

and yet we often see pedal boards that never leave home that cost more than the rig you played through that day, right?

6. doghouseman

doghouseman TDPRI Member

Yep.

I can't remember how much that Fender Twin cost, probably around 3k at the time?

I am guessing just about any pedal would have sounded good into that thing, but the guy at the music store really had that Mesa V-twin dialed in for that amp. It was just glorious. Still one of the best tones I have ever heard.

7. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

A really nicely done page (3 pages, actually) on the Butler designs:

http://www.kitrae.net/music/Music_mp3_Tube_Driver_Sound.html

[​IMG]

Fretting out likes this.
  8. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

The perils of social media... I thought a post was being ironic and liked it... Noe I'm not so sure but haven't got the heart to unlike it! C'est le vie.

9. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Cool I’m gonna have to give that a read, I’ve read his writings about big muffs but didn’t know he had anything about Butlers, I don’t even know what that red and the silver one is, I didn’t know there were that many variants either

10. Fretting out

Eric was one of the professionals I was thinking about, if I had an Eric Johnson voicemail I think I’d listen to it in a loop as a bedtime story, he’s got a nice soothing voice

11. E5RSY

The red one is the Dean Markley Overlord. They copied the Real Tube 901 (aka "Black Tube") and released it because they were pissed off at Butler for quitting his gig with them.

The silver one in just a special run of a normal Blue Tube. No differences in the innards, just cosmetics.

The first time I was exposed to one of those units was seeing one of the Chandler's on Bill Davis's board when the college I went to hired Dash Rip Rock one weekend.

I bought a 901 in 1989 and still have it. Just recently brought it out of retirement. :cool:

12. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Be cool to see blind fold test against cheap as chips stars such as American Sound.

13. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

I have these two, they are really good. It's what I used to use for home recording pre all the computer stuff we have now. You can actually make them sound quite different by changing the valves, especially the Muff'n. Stick a cab sim on the end and you have something as good (if not better) as anything around now for silent recording. (imo of course) :D

english-muff-n.png tube-eq.jpg

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  14. Fretting out

Is the 901 the 3rd one from left? I have the same one, I’m not sure of it’s vintage but would assume it was late 80’s early 90’s mines made in maybe Korea?
    I got it because it was reasonably priced compared to the U.S units

The switch on mine is a little finicky

15. E5RSY

Yeah, both of the black/yellow ones are 901s. The one further to the right is the original late '80s/early '90s livery.

Fretting out likes this.
  16. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Some folks use solid state amps and might want to add some tube warmth for a few songs.

Other folks might have tube amps and want to believe sticking with “tube effects” would be tonal purity.

All sorts of people buy gear for all sorts of reasons.

From a business perspective, diverse products reach diverse buyers. From a customer perspective, more choices is always good.

But from our perspectives, as old crusty guitar players, it may seem counterintuitive.

All I know is: I personally ain’t buying a “tube” effect for $200. Especially since I’ve already got an embarrassing abundance of tube stuff.

Wally likes this.
  17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I had the English Muff'n. Tried pretty much all the more common12AX7s/ECC83s currently manufactured, plus others like 12AU7 and 12AT7, including two different ones in each slot, all possible combinations.

Horrible sounds. Sounds nothing like a Marshall. Looking at the schematic I wasn't surprised. Same components and layout as a Marshall pre-amp, but almost all different values. Plus starved plates.

I actually considered modding it (leaving the starved plate though) to have Marshall values, but you have to change so much stuff it might be almost easier to build one from scratch.

Used it straight into a clean valve amp.

18. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Will this make my boss katana sound more alive?

19. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

lol, I guess I love horrible sounds. I especially like what it does to the midrange. I don't have another drive pedal that sounds quite like it, I'll give you that. :D

20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn't put it that way. It probably sounds good the way you do it. You play differently, have different gear.

I once played through someone's rig, Rat going through a JCM800 I think it was, nothing that unusual. I can't get a good sound out of Rats. Note he also used to slam the strings really hard, while I don't.

Si G X likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.