Fender new real tube series effects

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by rze99, May 22, 2020.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

The tube tremolo is interesting.

The tube overdrive/distortion pedals, I'm not sure about them. Do they really bring $200 worth of value to the table as compared to similar, usually less expensive, overdrive and distortion pedals?

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  3. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Darn.

Just when I'd decided on the Walrus Monument v2...

Pax/
    Dean

4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

It remains to be seen (heard, actually) if they can make that tube do what's needed with only 150 VDC available from the switching power supply.

5. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

VMax is 165V so quite probably with 150V

EDIT!

I've just had a look on the Fender website, which I should have done first. The tremolo kicks the voltage to 55V

Still out of the region of starved plate, and the video above does make it sound quite good.

Attached Files:

PhredE likes this.
  6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Has there ever been a tube-driven distortion or overdrive pedal that actually sounded any more tube-ish than solid state pedals? I had a Chandler Tube Driver and it sounded no different than other distortion pedals I had. I mean, this goes back to the "it's the circuit, not the tubes" thing people talk about. Conversely, I've had solid state pedals done right that sounded like tube amps (Tech 21 Sansamp, for example). The guy who designed that pedal, I forget his name, once said in an interview that there is something in a tube amp circuit that he's emulating to get that sound, and it's not the tubes. He did not say what it is.

Vox made a few tube-driven pedals that sounded no different than solid state also. I'd love to hear the new Fender products to see if they found it.

PhredE and bgmacaw like this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I have a Bk Butler/tube works “Real tube” that sounds GLORIOUS! And its more popular bigger brother the BK Butler/tube works “Tube Driver” gets very high praise from lots of professional players

Do they get enough voltage to even affect the tone? I don’t know
    It may be all psychosomatic but they sure sound good!

PhredE, 3-Chord-Genius and Wally like this.
  8. 3-Chord-Genius

My Tube Driver (it was the rack-mounted version) didn't sound bad, but to my ears it sounded like a good solid state distortion when played through my old Bandit 65; it took on an entirely different character through my Music Man combo which was a hybrid (S.S. preamp, tube power amp), which tells me that the power tubes even when not driven hard is where the magic is.

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Tremolo...this is a circuit that does not need tubes since it is concerned with manipulation of signal strength rather than tone processing.
    As for overdrive/distortion or reverb, if one can not discern the difference then it matters not how the distortion is done. If one hears the difference, then there is a reason to choose one over the other according to what one prefers. as for Fender selling pedals that function in the tube domain while they are moving away from tube amplification in the ‘Tonemaster’ series, that is a somewhat humorous situation from my perspective. If tubes are not necessary, why build circuits that use them???? Oh yeah, I forgot....this is not an excercise in rationality but rather financial Reality....whatever it takes, they have to get paid, right?

Treehouse and Fretting out like this.
  10. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I love my SurfyTrem and the burn channel on my Supersonic 100! Sorry Fender!

11. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie TDPRI Member

Not a pedal guy only in order to lessen confusion in my small brain...but....these are visually beautiful looking pedals! I know looks shouldn't matter with effects pedals but they really are nice looking. Also, Fender did a great job with each pedal's demo.

frettchen likes this.
  12. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I built the Valv-E-Tiser pedal, which uses electronic trickery to kick the voltage up to tickle levels. It's like adding an additional gain stage to a valve amp. The Blackstar HT series sound fantastic ( I have the vanilla boost pedal ). There's magic in them tharr hills ( pedals )

The Behringer VT999 gives a different character than any solid state pedal I've tried in terms of overdrive, but that is a hybrid pedal. So, yes. Valve based pedals can work very well. So can MOSFET pedals, and they don't need heaters.

I will freely and openly admit I am a sucker for valves, even where a FET does just as good a job for half the price and electricity bill. I suspect the Fender range is aimed at those of us bitten by the bewilderbeest. Pity they don't show the damn valve though. Vox, Blackstar and I'm sure others ram the valve in your face 'L@@K! VALVE! GLOWY'

StevesBoogie and PhredE like this.
  13. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

We're just coming full circle on pedal insanity.

- You gotta have a tube amp, the way tubes distort sounds best!
    - You should probably have one that's way too loud
    - You shouldn't turn that tube amp loud enough to distort, clean pedal platform is best
    - Now stack a whole bunch of solid state distortion/gain on top
    - Hey wait, if we put tubes in the pedals they sound better and cost more!!! WTF?@#$

I am trying to be humorous/sarcastic here.. the whole thing is hilarious in a wag the dog sort of way.

I have not owned any tube pedals, I like to get my dirt from the amp when possible though, so I actually would believe a tube pedal ought to sound better.

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Even if the glowing comes from a red LED behind the tube and not the tube itself.

Gardo and PhredE like this.
  15. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Indeed. I like mine too. Won't ever part with it (willingly).

..comes to life with a 12au7, especially an NoS type. More musical, defined, 'Fender-ish' tones with more headroom -- not buzzy, farting distortion. If one wants to stick with new production ax7s.. I have found the new production TungSol work reasonably well in it.

41144 likes this.
  16. 3-Chord-Genius

I love Vox products, but yeah, that Tonelab units which sound great have an orange LED behind the 12AX7 to light it up.... Ain't no 12AX7 that bright unless it's on fire!!

17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

True. I swapped out the stock one on mine as well. The stock one did do a buzzy, fuzzy, almost Satisfaction like tone pretty well though.

PhredE likes this.
  18. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Two that might make the cut:

Mesa Boogie V-Twin

[​IMG]

The Kingsley Page

[​IMG]

Wally and That Cal Webway like this.
  19. 3-Chord-Genius

We'd have to hear them. Maybe they're great but while most hybrid amps I've heard that have tube preamps and S.S. power amps seem less "tubey" than hybrid amps configured the opposite way - leading me to believe the power amp is where it happens. Who knows. Right now I play through a Night Train that I think sounds great but some people hate that amp so what do I know?

20. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I built a Madbean tube overdrive last summer. It looks like the Fender pedals use a submini 6205 dual triode, which can be used in the Madbean build (Uber Tuber) as well. I used a 6111, it sounds great!
    Tuber_Top.jpg Tuber_Complete.jpg

The tube is underneath the board, with LEDs to light up the tube from behind.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.