Fender neck tenon thickness variation

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by omlove, Sep 22, 2019.

1. omlove

omlove Tele-Meister

I have two necks here.

One is from my classic series 50s strat and the tenon measures 0.9" in thickness while another one from classic player 50s strat with tenon measures 0.95" in thickness. The latter has bigger frets and the resulted difference in total thickness at 17th fret is about 0.06" or 3.8/64th inch. The latter needs a lot of saddle raise to achieve same action when swapping necks.

I asked here before and I thought necks all have the same tenon thickness regardless of back profile. I am wondering if this 0.05" (3.2/64th ) difference in thickness is within factory tolerance? And what is your experience with other quality after market replacement necks? Are the tenons all the same? All is there caution to be had?

As said above, regardless of pitch of the tenon, the added thickness alone can cause drastic saddle raise - given the set screws are only 10mm (0.39") tall for inner 4 and 8mm for outter 2, they could easily max out. Thanks for your advice.

2. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Unlike metal, wood is far from a precise entity. What it measures one day can be different with a humidity swing the next. Add to that, a couple swipes with the sander from an employee at the factory and you have a different thickness neck.
    The neck thickness at any given fret is also variable for the same reasons. And that is with today's CNC made necks. Just imagine in the old days when fender made them by hand, or any custom hand made neck built today.

In the case of a maxed out saddles, that is where neck pocket shims come into play.

Eric

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.