Fender neck, aftermarket body compatibility?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Billycaster21, May 7, 2021.

1. Billycaster21

Billycaster21 TDPRI Member

Hi, I recently purchased a pre-drilled Fender MIM neck brand new to put on a very cheap body. I should’ve known better… Of course the neck didn’t fit properly. Neck pocket was too wide, too short at the heel (relative to the mounting screw hole placement) and the mounting screw holes were crooked. The neck is a keeper, maple, modern C shape which feels nearly identical to my two Strats.

So I am in need of a new body. I’m pretty sure a new Fender MIM body will fit just right. But I prefer to get an unfinished body and go that route. Are there specific manufacturers or details that I should look for to make sure I get it right this time? I know the standard neck pocket is 2 3/16 wide, 5/8 deep and 3 inches long. But my specific consideration is around the pre-drilled holes.

Any help is much appreciated!

2. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

It's always hit or miss with this kind of thing. Even MIM fender necks can be a smidge different in size, as can fender bodies.

Billycaster21 likes this.
  3. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

I've used Warmoth and love their bodies. All Parts is another good supplier. Most importantly, check the measurements against whatever manufacturer you choose. Then check again before clicking that button. Good luck.

Billycaster21 likes this.
  4. Billycaster21

Billycaster21 TDPRI Member

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I decided to go with a Fender MIM body and keep my fingers crossed. Worst case scenario I return it.

Toadtele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.