Fender Natural Ash tele questions

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by UPtele, Jun 30, 2020.

1. UPtele

UPtele TDPRI Member

What's the finish like? Is it mirror smooth?

I'm pondering trying to maybe do something similar with an Ash body

I guess the real question is. Do you think they use grain filler and sanding sealer, and all that jazz? Or is it a little rough?

Perhaps this should be in the finish section , but posted it here being it's about a specific guitar

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

U P, that's got grain filler, then a heavy catalyzed undercoater, then the top coat.

They do their best on that model and most models in Ash, to make those pores invisible when you sight across the finish.

So, not a thin finish and tends to be very smooth - the opposite of the home brew ash finishes you may see.

LAPlayer likes this.
  3. UPtele

UPtele TDPRI Member

The reply is appreciated Boris

boris bubbanov likes this.
  4. UPtele

UPtele TDPRI Member

Nitro or poly?

5. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Poly for sure. It's durable as hell, lays dead smooth, and cures in hours as opposed to waiting weeks for nitro.

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got an '06 American Series natural ash. The finish is ridiculously thick clear poly. Came with a couple of dings and it looks like someone hit a piece of glass with a hammer.

7. UPtele

UPtele TDPRI Member

Appreciate the replies

8. boris bubbanov

Some of the bodies, then, were no longer "sandwich" and so I think FMIC started laying it on too heavy. Also, FMIC was getting over some of the changes imposed on them by the California Air Resources Board. I have an '06 "60th" variant, pretty alder body with the small gemstone thingie in the headstock, and I went to take the bridge plate off and the whole section of poly (leaving the sunburst wood finish underneath intact) came off with the bridge. I guess I won't be selling that one! :^)

Dismalhead likes this.
  9. Chief_Nobody

Chief_Nobody TDPRI Member

This is natural ash finish on my MIK lite ash fender tele (poly) hope it helps

00V0V_gX3pNzKbj69_600x450.jpg

UPtele and Mike M like this.
  10. boris bubbanov

Yeah, that finish is more satiny, but what makes that model stand out, is the increased chamfer of the edges of the body. And the 22 fret "heavy lip" neck that doesn't interchange easily with other Teles from other places. And the slab, figured maple board with the pearloid markers. And the mellow A2 Seymour Duncan pickups. Nice guitars!

South Korea permitted Cort to use a poly finish that could be applied thinner, and considerably more precautions were needed to spray it. I don't think California would've let us use that finish, at least not in the Los Angeles and surrounding areas.

11. Chief_Nobody

Chief_Nobody TDPRI Member

Thanks for the details, I didn't know about the neck size difference. Amazing birdseye on the neck tho, one of the nicest Iv seen outside of CS stuff. The bodies are actually thinner too than modern ones, it was thinner than the 18 RW tele I had. That picture was from a few years ago from the guy i got it from, when he posted it on CL. It has since darkened a bit I think. There's a big chip down to bare wood by the input jack where i can get a good measurement, you're right it is pretty thin 2mm (maybe that's why its chipped).

12. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

For the tone freaks out there, some guitars actually sound better because of a thick poly finish. My Suhr Pro Series 3 sounds more like a Strat than any Strat I've ever owned. It has poly over basswood and maple. Unbelievable tone.

13. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Honestly, Leo used nitro because when he set up his business it's what car companies used and readily available/economic to get a serviceable finish. As cars went acrylic due to aging on cars, checking, fading Leo followed suit. If he was setting up today he'd be 100% water based poly. Nitro is nice, but other than appearance has no impact. I've built a guitar for a friend using thin nitro Looks great, relics nicely. No more resonant than my 69 Thinline with smooth poly. IMG_20200628_100333.jpg

Chief_Nobody likes this.
  14. UPtele

UPtele TDPRI Member

Anybody have a recommendation for a good grain filler for ash?

15. boris bubbanov

I'm actually mostly still using Bartley's, an oil based grain filler, but usable cans of it have to be really rare by now. You're going to be looking at a water based filler.

[​IMG]I've used some of this, couple projects but they are not guitar related projects. I like it. You can buy pigmented versions of this product (smaller cans) and test blend 'em to get the end result (when dried and coated with clear) on test pieces of ash scraps similar to your guitar body. The "Chestnut" color is pretty cool.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.