Fender Mustang or Yamaha THR10C?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by OwlPants, Sep 29, 2014.

1. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

Yeah, I am really looking for convenience and simplicity right now; I've got a lot to learn. The Mustangs are excellent and perhaps the better value due to the sound versatility and volume potential but I think I will play more often simply due to the fact that the Yamaha is so easy to move around the house and use as a headphone amp. I can see throwing it on the coffee table and noodling around with headphones on while the girlfriend is watching "her" shows, bringing it out on the deck in the summer, and so on. It being a halfway competent iPhone dock/speaker doesn't hurt either. That isn't going to happen with any of the Mustangs.

I will eventually want a bigger amp, sure, but I get the feeling I would still benefit from the Yamaha as a desk amp in or similar in a different room, so I'm beginning to see no risk in picking one up. I would rather go to a tubed Fender if that time comes, so I would still need a solid state practice amp anyways.

Plus, the shop just got back to me and they've got MIM Tele in LPB and the THR10C in stock today...

2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like somebody is going to have some fun today! ;)

Your approach is a very reasonable one, and as you say, the practicality of the Yamaha amp will make you WANT to use it. Let's face it - USING it is the only way you're going to get better!

3. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

the THR10C , which I got, & like very much, is more a guitar appliance than a proper amp.

Viewed from this angle, it will allow you to have hours of fun (just about anywhere, it works even better & gets louder on batteries)

4. Nadany

Nadany Tele-Meister

I just got a Mustang II. Already have the M1. Just got it for the living room, and I haven't been in love with an amp for a long time, but I am now.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Next: a MIII for the garage :cool:

6. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

Maybe a Mini for the bathroom?

7. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

Well, picked up the MIM Tele and THR10C last night. They are both excellent; it will be a while before I outgrow this amp and even then I will likely keep it around.

That said, I am getting a fair bit of buzz through the amp even on the cleanest settings when the volumes up. I know single coil pickups hum along but this seems to be more than I remember...

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Buzz is a very common complaint with the TH Yamaha amps. I was looking very seriously at getting one until I heard about that

9. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

I thought that was an issue with the original ones and a noisy power supply that Yamaha replaced?

10. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

uh oh... trouble in Amptown?

11. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

Maybe not. If I unplug the guitar the buzzing stops completely, so I think I'm just not used to single coils?

12. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

If you use the software with the provided USB connection, I believe you got a noise gate, that could eliminate any buzz (hum)

Later models THRs corrected the battery compartment buzzing/rattling.

13. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

Yeah, I will have to try that. It's definitely an electrical buzz vs. a mechanical rattle.

14. shambeko

shambeko TDPRI Member

I bought a THR10C a few days ago and I am really liking it. It is to replace a Blackstar HT-1R in my lounge (Blackstar is being moved to my den where I can wind it up more). The only problem I am having is when I use the Editor on my laptop. It works great when the laptop is on battery power, but as soon as I plug it in the mains there is a load of interference coming through the THR speakers. My Mustang 1 doesn't have the same problem. Not sure what the problem is, tried it in different sockets but the same (same ring main though).
    Any ideas anyone.

15. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Single coils can be a problem. That's why the other pickups are called HUM-buckers. You can pick up buzz or hum from a nearby computer, florescent lights, TV, poorly grounded electrical outlet, etc.

16. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I have the THR5 and would take it over the Mustangs for what you want. The 10C is even better.

BTW, I have jammed with the THR5 and another guitarist w drum machine and vocals, and on the Boogie model it hangs fine.

It's a remarkable feat of engineering, revolutionary and one-of-a-kind.

17. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

I ended up picking up the THR10C and a shiny new MIM Standard Tele. Had it for a couple of days now and I am very happy.

The amp is exactly what I needed. I downloaded a couple of patches for it off Guitar Patches but killed the effects on them and I am even happier (I suck at getting my own tone right now!).

Wish it was more popular on Guitar Patches though. Either way, I think I've got a good sound for each model now.

18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Any luck with the hum/buzz issue?

19. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

It still seems a bit buzzier than it should but I am struggling to remember how much my Strat used to buzz on a different amp in a completely different house.

Tonight I will try different rooms, outlets, etc. and see if it makes a noticeable difference.

20. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I went with the 30w Blackstar ID:30. At $350, it's a little more than the Mustang III and nearly double the II, but I like it a good bit better. I think it has a whole lot of usable tones, and the effects are pretty sweet too. Whereas a Mustang III would likely be gig-worthy at (what is it, 60w or 100w?), not sure you could gig with this thing, but it's certainly plenty loud enough for what I do, just noodle around with, play along with songs, etc.

Dead quiet too, no hum.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.