Fender Mustang or Yamaha THR10C?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by OwlPants, Sep 29, 2014.

1. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

Hey all! Slowly getting back into playing and plan to pick up a MIM Standard Tele in Lake Placid Blue very shortly. Previously owned a MIM HSS Strat but love the Tele punch (not sure if that's the right word but Teles have a punchier sound on individual notes to me) and the looks.

I know I want a modelling amp. The volume, ability to use headphones, recording interface, and overall convenience are a great fit for my current situation and skill level. Previously owned a Vox AD30VT which was a lot of fun but want to go in a new direction with the Tele.

Was originally considering the Fender Mustang II v2 (unsure if I'd be better off with a II or III. III is more volume than I'll ever need though I understand it's easier to use due to the LCD) and came across the Yamaha THR10 and then of course read about and listened to the THR10C which I think is a much better fit for the clean and/or blues style I hope to play. I am really drawn in by the convenience of such a small amp and the looks certainly don't hurt either. My fondest "amp memories" are of a family member's 70's Twin Reverb paired with Thinline Deluxe Tele so recreating that sound is a bit of a requirement too.

Looking for some hands-on recommendations as to which amp to pair with my Standard Tele for noodling around in the basement alone:

• Fender Mustang II
    • Fender Mustang III (for controls only, don't need the volume and would actually prefer the smaller unit)
    • Yamaha THR10 (can get a great deal used right now but I don't think 90% of the tones work for me whereas ALL of the tones on the C sound great to me)
    • Yamaha THR10C (likely will need to buy new)
    • Something else?

2. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Mustang 1 and a THR 10C.both work great .The 10C is the best for home practice IMHO as its tones are superb at its room lervel volumes .The Mustang is fine too .both do a great job .The THR is technically streets ahead of the mustang and does sound better but the Mustang is a"proper" amp and can be played anywhere .The THR10C has to plug phono out put to a PA board or even dare I say the aux input on another suitably equipped bigger amplifier if you want to blow the windows out or play .Does your Vox have an aux input?.If it does you are well away .others can say if it replicates a twin reverb .I usually find a real twin reverb replicates a real twin reverb and others just come near but the Fender amp settings do sound good on both .The reverb is great on the 10C.So not much in it for home use.If you play it outside then the Mustang has it but get the M3 ..

3. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

I no longer have the Vox so I don't recall. But definitely want an AUX on the new amp, which both the THR10C and Mustang offer.

Assuming they both sound great, I am beginning to lean toward the Yamaha. If I ever need more volume (unlikely), I have no problem acquiring a small tube amp that is appropriate for jamming. But for the foreseeable future, my needs will be purely practice and the idea of being able to move it around the house, onto the couch, etc. is appealing to me.

4. gnew

gnew TDPRI Member

I've got both too...

I prefer the Yamaha over the Mustang any day. Personally there was too much twiddling of knobs on the Mustang. I had no desire to hook it to my computer and download files, I just wanted to play. The Yamaha took care of that for me...very few adjustments and I'm good to go. The Mustang just felt like overkill for me as far as the modelling part goes. I understand some people are into that, but right now it just doesn't appeal to me. Plus the sound that comes out of the Yamaha is truly amazing for the size of the amp.

5. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

That's where I'm at right now too. I can get a little tied up with fiddling when there are too many options and every tone on the THR10C appeals to me right out of the box. I just want some nice basic clean / slightly gainy tones at my fingertips.

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't get it. I mean, I'm sure the TH series Yamaha amps are nice, but with a Mustang, you don't have to fiddle. You can do so if you choose, but it's optional

7. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

For me, I am thinking the THR10C has more models right on the dial that appeal to me.

8. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

you can use the presets but come on presets never sound great. you may like them tho.

chris.

9. blowtorch

From the Fender Mustang manual:

"AMP MODELS
    '57 Deluxe
    '59 Bassman
    '57 Champ
    '65 Deluxe Reverb
    '65 Princeton
    '65 Twin Reverb
    Super-Sonic (Burn)
    British '60s
    British '70s
    British '80s
    American '90s
    Metal 2000"

All you have to do is turn the wheel.

"you can use the presets but come on presets never sound great. you may like them tho. "

Now that part I do agree with. But it's not hard, at all, to get them to sound very good. You can even download one, that someone else already did all the work for you

10. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

That's fair. I suppose I meant all of the models on the THR10C appeal to me where as 1/2 of those on the Mustang do BUT it works out to roughly the same number of sounds on each that I enjoy so it's a moot point.

11. blowtorch

OwlPants, so when the grandkid comes over and wants to jam some White Zombie, with the Mustang you are all set!

12. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

Hahaha, I think I've got a ways to go before I will be worried about that. If I didn't, I suppose the Yamaha would prevent that...which isn't necessarily a bad thing! :p

13. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Mustang III v2 would be my vote.

I'd even take an M3v1 over the Yamaha. No comparison, really.

14. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

Thanks for the vote but knowing WHY would help a great deal.

15. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

I'd have to agree with pondcaster on the M3. I briefly own the Yamaha and it's OK for bedroom use or as a recording interface. But, you can't even play with a friend for a little two guitar jam. It's meant to be a personal amp. Turned up to loud and it rattles. Heck...even the marketing hype says that the name means it's your "third amp". In the end, I returned it as it just wasn't very good.

I've owned a M1 and M3. For what an M3 cost, you're getting an amp that can be a home amp...and a gigging amp. It sounds good at quiet and loud volume levels. The M1 and M2 are tiny but in order to adjust any of the interesting settings, you need to plug into a computer. On the M3, all adjustments can be made right on the amp. Sorry...I don't buy that it's a "tweaky" amp. It's actually really easy to adjust....and if you don't want to twiddle at all, you can just turns knobs like a normal amp. I'd personally go for a used version 1 of the M3. Just be sure to check if for any rattles. (mine was fine and all the ones I've played in stores were fine). So, you can have a real amp for the same price as the Yamaha.....and it's a recording interface...has some decent pedal effects built in too....and it's light to carry.

16. muffy

muffy Tele-Meister

The Mustang's usb aux in sounds terrible and very digital (at high gain). I wouldn't recommend it. If you want decent recording you're going to have to mic it.

17. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

Hmm, some interesting comments. I am 100% not concerned with jamming or gigging. Trying to determine which amp is more convenient for my current needs and not hypothetical (and unlikely) future needs.

Admittedly, the size of the Yamaha is a huge draw, especially when compared to the Mustang III. My gut says I would end up playing more with the Yamaha because of how small and unassuming it is.

I wouldn't hesitate to throw it on the couch or bed next to me, on the coffee table, outside on the deck, in front of the computer, and so on. It would also make a great headphone amp for those situations where I'm half watching TV with the girlfriend whereas lugging a larger amp into the room just isn't going to happen; otherwise I would like need an Amplug or similar and have way fewer options at my disposal. Something like the Mustang III is likely going live in the basement and not move, even though I know it's not that heavy.

18. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Technically you can hook up the Yamaha THRs to a computer and do a lot of the same kind of tweaking that the Mustang provides already. The appeal of the Yamaha in this case is that as a standalone, the options are limited, which helps prevent one with no will power from starting to scroll through all the different parameters such as as what the Mustang offers. If you have good will power, then the Mustang would probably be fine, but the III would be much bulkier to tote around than the THR. For what it's worth, Blackstar, Vox and Roland all have portable stereo amps that are similar to the THR. The Blackstar starts at only $99.

19. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

Will have to explore those options as well.

I just feel the III is too large. I was happy with the size and weight of AD30VT when I had it and the Mustang II is almost identical in this respect. The III is not that much larger but it is 50% heavier. A II with the LCD and controls of the III would be ideal for me.

I wish a good used deal would come up and solve this debate for me. I think I would jump on a II, III, or 10C - whatever comes first. So far only a few v1 I's for sale locally - and no good Teles either.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  20. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like you have your answer! :)

The Mustang III has a ton of customizable presets, a very user-friendly interface, and sounds great, but you DO need to devote some time and effort to "make it yours".

For a basement practice amp that will keep you interested, it sounds like the Yamaha is the right choice for you. Good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.