Fender Mustang Micro-Direct to PA?

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Good day to all!

I scored this neat little tool/toy at Christmas. Most useful gadget ever!!

I'm wondering, I play sometimes with a Celtic band. They are mostly acoustic, but enjoy when I bring an axe to broaden the sound. It would be nice to show up with a guitar and this unit packed in the case compartment.

I don't plan to be near a live PA anytime soon to experiment, but anyone think this would work?

Blrfl

Friend of Leo's
It'll work fine. I've plugged mine into my stereo and the line inputs on Bluetooth speakers with good success. (The latter have a latency problem, but that won't be an issue with a PA.)

@Mike_LA's warning about the output connector is worth considering. A couple of wraps of the cable around the strap button and some slack will prevent problems.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks, all. I got me tricks for anchoring the cable to keep the plug stable. I find I'm always eventually pulling on my headphone jack by stepping or eventually sitting on the cable. I wrap it under the guitar strap the way I would a guitar cable.

I reckoned it would 'work', I'm hoping that when I try it a PA, the gadget sounds as good as it does on my cheap cans.

Junkyard Dog

Friend of Leo's
Seems like it would work fine. You could consider getting a 10-foot (or whatever length) instrument cable with a male connector at one end and a female connector at the other. That way you could set the Mustang Micro off to side or next to the PA board or wherever.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Seems like it would work fine. You could consider getting a 10-foot (or whatever length) instrument cable with a male connector at one end and a female connector at the other. That way you could set the Mustang Micro off to side or next to the PA board or wherever.
I’m thinking to patch into a tuning pedal and connect it to the FMM and then off to the board. 🤔

Last edited:

quadtele

TDPRI Member
Good day to all!

I'm wondering, I play sometimes with a Celtic band. They are mostly acoustic, but enjoy when I bring an axe to broaden the sound. It would be nice to show up with a guitar and this unit packed in the case compartment.

I don't plan to be near a live PA anytime soon to experiment, but anyone think this would work?

Had the same thought myself. Would be nice to have a backup rig in your pocket.

I'm sure it will work if you're using one preset. You can't expect it to rival a rig that costs and is meant for much more, but with reasonable expectations and in the mix it's worth a try. YMMV.

Obviously not many settings to tweak to adjust the sound but your PA should be able to help.

Obviously any effect that is stereo will not be the same in mono. Those Fender cleans with the modulated reverb might not sound as lush, but who knows.

Much of the above goes for any device you t try to map to random PA or room

telel6s

Tele-Afflicted
Good day to all!

I'm wondering if you've had a chance to test out the Mustang Micro through a PA or similar.

In addition to using the Micro as intended, I thought it would be an easy way to bring an electric to open mics or jams that are primarily acoustic and therefore just a regular PA to plug into. The kind of thing where I might play three songs, or sit in behind someone else for just one or two songs. In the past I've brought small amps or a couple pedals with a Joyo AC Tone pedal, but even that becomes a hassle unless I know I'll be getting a chance to play 7+ songs during the evening.

I get the possible issues with adapting the 1/8" to 1/4" plugs. I'm more curious as to how it sounds and if there were any level issues with the signal sent to the PA vs. an acoustic pickup with preamp.

Thanks in advance.

gupwupnup999

TDPRI Member
Oh I totally forgot. I actually from time to time hook my Vox Amplug2 Metal up to the effects loop return of my amp. I use a 1/8th stereo to 1/4th inch mono summing cable with a 1k ohm resistor. This should prevent any line level issues plugging into a PA or amp. I use one like this:

The Amplug2 actually sounds surprisingly good hooked up like this. It has bad to no IR/cab sim and running it into a real amp or IR loader helps a lot.

If you needed a long run you can plug something like this into a DI box and run the XLR out to a mixer or something. I have never played gigs or anything, but it seems like it would work to an extent. I would also use a female to male instrument extension so the micro would be somewhere safe and not hanging off the guitar. Or wireless as other suggested.

The amount of stuff involved makes it seem like other solutions are worth going for instead, but it would be fun to impress a crowd with something that small.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
You could also pick up a reasonably used modeler for short money with a (robust) 1/4" output and a choice of line out types (i.e. line, Fender, Marshall) - along with EQ for the output, etc to get it right. Set up your sounds at home. Then when you plug in to the PA, you just tweak for the PA and hopefully all your tone packages are ready to roll.

The advantage of a modeler is that they are designed to have features that help them match up with a PA whereas the amps with an output are generally amps that happen to offer pre-power amp output as a side feature.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm wondering if you've had a chance to test out the Mustang Micro through a PA or similar.

In addition to using the Micro as intended, I thought it would be an easy way to bring an electric to open mics or jams that are primarily acoustic and therefore just a regular PA to plug into. The kind of thing where I might play three songs, or sit in behind someone else for just one or two songs. In the past I've brought small amps or a couple pedals with a Joyo AC Tone pedal, but even that becomes a hassle unless I know I'll be getting a chance to play 7+ songs during the evening.

I get the possible issues with adapting the 1/8" to 1/4" plugs. I'm more curious as to how it sounds and if there were any level issues with the signal sent to the PA vs. an acoustic pickup with preamp.

Thanks in advance.
I haven’t had the opportunity to try this yet. I’ve only patched it into the usb on my MacBook and then used it with GarageBand. This hookup sounds great and there were no latency issues.

I think this will work well patched into a PA. I’d probably opt to use a long 1/8” cable and then just convert with a plug at the mixer. There I think it’ll sound good, based on the monitoring and PA quality.

Activateclint

Tele-Meister
I haven’t had the opportunity to try this yet. I’ve only patched it into the usb on my MacBook and then used it with GarageBand. This hookup sounds great and there were no latency issues.

I think this will work well patched into a PA. I’d probably opt to use a long 1/8” cable and then just convert with a plug at the mixer. There I think it’ll sound good, based on the monitoring and PA quality.
How did you go with it?
I had the same idea, will get one for practice mostly though. I've seen vids where they've used it as a pedal board platform plugged into the last pedal and sounds great via YouTube anyhow. Seems to take pedals well. Also maybe in that case you could keep it plugged in and on charge at gigs while playing if it's not directly in the guitar jack.
Hope it's worked out for you :)

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
How did you go with it?
I had the same idea, will get one for practice mostly though. I've seen vids where they've used it as a pedal board platform plugged into the last pedal and sounds great via YouTube anyhow. Seems to take pedals well. Also maybe in that case you could keep it plugged in and on charge at gigs while playing if it's not directly in the guitar jack.
Hope it's worked out for you :)
Ugh. I haven’t had the opportunity to try this out. I got busy with my cover band and trying to figure out our new digital mixer. I’m going to pack this for rehearsal on Wednesday, and try it out while jamming through in-ear monitors.

Activateclint

Tele-Meister
Ugh. I haven’t had the opportunity to try this out. I got busy with my cover band and trying to figure out our new digital mixer. I’m going to pack this for rehearsal on Wednesday, and try it out while jamming through in-ear monitors.
Tell me about it haha. I have a 5 month old boy and try to squeeze 2 gigs in a week. Haven't learnt any new songs for ages. Glad you're out gigging also.
I'd be super keen to hear how it went :).

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Well, alright! I must stress that our rehearsal was monitored through IEMs, so caveat emptor. But for a few songs, this little sucker sounded great. I used the ‘Soldano’ setting to play Hash Pipe by Weezer, and it sounded killer. There are more than enough sounds here. However, it’s limitations become quickly evident, for example, nothing to boost, no playing clean and slamming into distortion (there’s no way I’m changing settings on the fly while playing, let alone singing). I could certainly limp through a gig, but I have no idea how it would sound through a PA.