Fender Mustang Micro—>Junk

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Warranty?
Good thought! According to this, it’s a 2 year warranty

But if you really sour on the Mustang Micro, this alternative has a 3 year warranty and costs less.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
The switch is just floating. Snapped off of its mount. I opened it up, no fixing it. I’ll call the shop I bought it from, not sure I have the box.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Low end fender electronics are the worse. I have a GTX100 and while IMO it is the best modeler in the low to mid range as features and tone go, it''s junk as far as build quality. The cabinet funny enough is nice....plywood instead of MDF and light, very good quality. The electronics, junk. Knobs and buttons are not gonna last too long but as long as i can edit it it'll be usable. But the data wheel was intermittently F'd from almost new and i'm sure at some point i'm going to have to replace it if i can find the part or similar and do a jury rigged hack job. And when you mix fender with super low end small devices like that micro which are already hyper prone to breakage due to the tiny plastic parts, it's a train wreck just waiting to happen. Jacks and buttons on devices like that are doomed.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
When mine was working, I thought this was a neat gadget. Not a year old and the power switch is kaput.
Ah, one unit with a bad switch makes yours junk. I suspect and hope you'll be treated well by Fender or your dealer in this case.

But to any who might be thinking it would be a good stocking stuffer for oneself, or another player, I can say it is a fine little piece of gear and a tech marvel - - to me. I can jam away while the wife is watching TV, and that alone is worth the price of admission.

Tmcqtele65

Tele-Meister
...to any who might be thinking it would be a good stocking stuffer for oneself, or another player, I can say it is a fine little piece of gear and a tech marvel - - to me. I can jam away while the wife is watching TV, and that alone is worth the price of admission.
I agree. I love mine for those times when I just need to make the least amount of ambient sound as possible, but still get some playing in. I also find it useful to really focus on technique by dialing up a transparent clean tone. Finally, my wife just got her first electric, and she likes to practice her keyboard with headphones - so she's excited about doing the same with guitar.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Ah, one unit with a bad switch makes yours junk. I suspect and hope you'll be treated well by Fender or your dealer in this case.

But to any who might be thinking it would be a good stocking stuffer for oneself, or another player, I can say it is a fine little piece of gear and a tech marvel - - to me. I can jam away while the wife is watching TV, and that alone is worth the price of admission.
Nah, looked inside to see if I could fix it. The physical switch is poorly designed and not made well. I totally agree it’s a great gadget/tool for what it can do; but it’s built like crap. I only used it 15-20 times before the switch came loose, making it disposable.

Blrfl

Friend of Leo's
But the data wheel was intermittently F'd from almost new and i'm sure at some point i'm going to have to replace it if i can find the part or similar and do a jury rigged hack job.

Most people would have something almost new replaced under warranty if it failed, but I always look forward to seeing a good jury-rigged hack job.

And when you mix fender with super low end small devices like that micro which are already hyper prone to breakage due to the tiny plastic parts, it's a train wreck just waiting to happen. Jacks and buttons on devices like that are doomed.

So far there's one reported switch failure. One. Uno. That doesn't make this product hyper-prone to anything other than the same non-zero defect rate as everything else.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Most people would have something almost new replaced under warranty if it failed, but I always look forward to seeing a good jury-rigged hack job.

So far there's one reported switch failure. One. Uno. That doesn't make this product hyper-prone to anything other than the same non-zero defect rate as everything else.
It’s built to break, IMO. This ain’t a Boss pedal. More like dollar store flashlight.

Last edited:

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
It’s built to break, IMO. This ain’t a Boss pedal. More like dollar store flashlight.
Only other thought I have is that, as far as I know, it is in its first production run, no version change for the hardware yet. If it's popular enough, and Fender thinks sales could keep happening, they'll revise the design. I -have- had charging issues with mine a couple of times, making me wonder whether there's a charging circuit deficiency, or just an inadequate battery.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's

1-the mustang is designated non field repairable by fender meaning they do not allow fender warranty stations to repair them or supply parts to do so. They only replace the whole unit in the warranty period and mine is my 3rd mustang and my GT did the same. It's cheap junk and what am i to do....send each one back every year? Nope. They won't even likely replace it till it got really bad which was at a point after the warranty was up.
2-reported by who? Online forums?

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
1-the mustang is designated non field repairable by fender meaning they do not allow fender warranty stations to repair them or supply parts to do so. They only replace the whole unit in the warranty period and mine is my 3rd mustang and my GT did the same. It's cheap junk and what am i to do....send each one back every year? Nope. They won't even likely replace it till it got really bad which was at a point after the warranty was up.
2-reported by who? Online forums?
The switch on mine just came loose and was just floating. Nothing snapped, it just looks like they use an adhesive to attach the thumb switch to the mechanism. Cheap.

However, perhaps my title overlooks what you do pay for, and that’s the tech that makes it sound good. I just hate the idea of how much crap I’ve tossed into the electronic waste heap. Jeepers, I’ve got a Japanese calculator from the ‘70’s that has an moving on/off switch. Still works. It can be done. I see nothing but cut corners when I look at the Mustang Micro.

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
FWIW I got mine when they were first introduced at Sweetwater. I use it nightly for at least an hour in my man cave so as to not disturb the significant other. I can play along via bluetooth and my phone and have no issues. I also have a Vox Classic Rock headphone amp and prefer the Fender. The Harley Benton posted above is inexpensive enough that I'll get one next. Thanks for posting it Tim S!

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
FWIW I got mine when they were first introduced at Sweetwater. I use it nightly for at least an hour in my man cave so as to not disturb the significant other. I can play along via bluetooth and my phone and have no issues. I also have a Vox Classic Rock headphone amp and prefer the Fender. The Harley Benton posted above is inexpensive enough that I'll get one next. Thanks for posting it Tim S!
Happy to enable (and nice to know I’m not posting to myself) 😀