Fender Mustang Guitar Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Fran1964, Sep 23, 2010.

1. 64Aneck

64Aneck NEW MEMBER!

I won my first mustang on a bet with my dad. Had to get high honor roll in 9th grade carrying a 73 average in one marking period. I hit 91 and he found me a 64 A neck. 1.5 inches wide at the nut. Rattled can grey with white over the red tortoise shell pickguard. One metal mini switch and a 70s start pickup in the neck. Been my main squeeze for almost 30 years

Brunodel likes this.
  2. Brunodel

Brunodel TDPRI Member

some picture ? Is It 24 or 22.5 scale ?

3. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

Well, I don't have a vintage Fender Mustang, just this 2017 Squier VM Mustang. Shown here with my other VM offsets.

Funny thing is that I never saw anyone have a Mustang or play one back in my band gigging days back in the 60's and 70's. Actually never have seen anyone playing one yet. I had bought a new sunburst Jazzmaster right after HS graduation in 1965. It was new but still a 1964 model. Got the sunburst VM Jazzmaster to replace that one which was foolishly sold in the late 70's.

Once I got the Squier VM Jazzmaster I decided to also get the VM Jaguar since my buddy and lead guitar player had a 1963 Jaguar (also sunburst) back when I bought the original Jazzmaster. I then decided to get the VM Mustang to complete the trio of Fender offsets that came out during my school days, already had Teles and Strats. The Mustang just made it's appearance before the end of my public school days, having come out in 1964 which was the beginning of my senior year if high school. The Mustang is a really fun guitar to play and as others have said, I love the trem on them. Very sensitive and always returns to being in tune.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    Brunodel likes this.
  4. Patton

Patton TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

72 mustang.jpg

My first really good guitar was a 73' Mustang (I found some old paperwork a few years ago and I had written the serial number down which indicates 1973). I got it in 82' and just loved it! I would sometimes open the case just to look at it. My brother had one from the same era but mine sounded way better. Our dad even used to comment on that. Somebody before me had put Strat pickups in it. No idea of the vintage of the pickups as I traded it in a year or two later on an Antigua Stratocaster. In retrospect I should have kept the mustang.

5. Patton

Patton TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Here's the one I picked up pretty reasonably priced last year. It didn't have a case so I sent an $800 offer that was accepted. It's a 1976, the last of the white pickguards with the older style logo and 700000 serial number on the neckplate. All original with no fretwear. As it's ash bodied it's a little heavy for a Mustang but the awesome neck MORE than makes up for it. 100_1347 (2).JPG

Pablo6 likes this.
  6. junkosc

junkosc TDPRI Member

All original 1965 Fender Mustang basket case for sale in the classifieds
    4D99C2EF-7535-4A5C-9729-95621880DD26.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.