Fender Mustang Guitar Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Fran1964, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Rafale14

Rafale14 NEW MEMBER!

That just amazes me how you can get great steals just at your everyday yard/garage sale

2. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

3. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

Michelle Branch - "Best You Ever" (Live on Late Night with Seth Meyers on NBC, 2017.) :)Drummer for The Black Keys is playing... drums.

4. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

One of these showed up on our local Craiglist for $150. It's a Harley Benton MS-60. Looks like a cool guitar. Stock pickups sound good to my ears in these videos. Headstock doesn't look bad. :)

5. teleGramPete

teleGramPete TDPRI Member

Hello Mustang aficionados,

I am wondering what is your take on the Mustangs 90 guitars.

I am interested in buying the guitar mainly because of the P90 pickups in order to play something a bit more raunchy than my Telecaster - I find the humbucker guitars too dark and muffled as I play a lot of clean parts.
    How is the short scale aspect going to influence the sound?

Looking forward your thought.

6. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

I got two, neither a typical mustang, but that can be fixed in future. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mr Scallywag and BorderRadio like this.
  7. teleGramPete

Hey @PixMix ,

How would characterise the sound of these guitars compared to a Gibson with Humbuckers?

8. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

I think it’s hard to compare because the pickups are so different: SD on the burst one, Fender Enforcers on the blue one, an I have a Les Paul with Burstbuckers. However, with all their differences, the SDs are the clearest sounding of the three, still very humbucker, but articulate. Burstbuckers are full sounding, very typical Gibson tone obviously. The blue mustang sits somewhere in between, not as full as Gibson, not as articulate as the burst mustang, but it is the most versatile guitar I own. It’s not only that it has coil splitting options but you can also select which coil you want on. It also sounds great on a single coil mode, which isn’t the case with all splittable pickups.

Anyway, both of them sound great, for of a wolf in sheep's clothing, but not the typical mustang tone.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  9. teleGramPete

@PixMix,

If you won't mind, I will bother you with a second question: how does the short scale factor influence the sound of the humbuckers (having the reference of a Gibson)?

10. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

I really can't speak as far as sound goes, with all other things being different, but keep in mind that Mustang scale is 24" and Gibson 24.75", so only 0.75" or about 19mm difference. As far as the feel of the neck on the fretting hand goes, Mustang feels much more similar to Gibson than it does to Tele, Strat and Jazzmaster with them being 25.5" scale.

11. teleGramPete

Thank you for the responses, @PixMix!

PixMix likes this.
  12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Here's mine... it started with a JV neck I got online with the intention of making a body myself.....then I saw this body online locally and thought it might save me a lot of work...:D

looks like a custom body with an expensive paint job (the owner explained) .. a well made one, too .. the neck has a nice tight fit and every body screw hole lined up exactly.. pg and all.... that was a nice surprise...

put in a strat neck pu and a rails bridge... wired the front switch as a basic 3 way and the rear switch splits the bridge coils.. which gives me more blend options in the middle and bridge pos....

and weirdly.. without seeing it in the pics the neck serial # has my fav 333 numbers on it...:eek:..:cool:

Mustang headstock.JPG

Mustang neck heel sm.jpg

Mustang neck date sm.jpg

Mustang body face sm.jpg

DSCN1151.JPG

howardlo, nickhofen and PixMix like this.
  13. doguitar

doguitar TDPRI Member

I know it's not vintage but I kinda like hardtails in general. This is a newer one with Lindy Fralin's and Americanized wiring. I dig the light weight and shorter scale.
    IMG_1248.JPG

blackjaw likes this.
  14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

[​IMG] [​IMG]

PixMix and nickhofen like this.
  15. Ippon

Ippon Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

howardlo likes this.
  16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I was watching a YT video lesson last night and the guitar says "Fender Mustang" on the headstock and everything else seems correct except the body edge is much more squared off like a telecaster body. Was there such a thing in production?

17. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

Which set did you put in? I’ve been on the fence for a while on adding a set of the Lindy Blues Special to my pink mustang. Worth the upgrade?

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Okay, answering my own question. Apparently, there were some produced around 1966 that were of "slab" design like the teles.

nickhofen likes this.
  19. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Well in the better late than never category - I've been the owner of an American Performer Mustang for almost a year now. I was having some left hand issues, so the 24" scale has been a real boon for me. There were times when it was the only guitar I can comfortably play, but these days it is splitting time with a PRS Vela. I had been kicking around the idea of a Mustang after playing the most recent MIM variations (both the Mustang 90 and the "regular" Offset Series version) but when I found out they were finally going to have a USA-made model for the first time since I was a college sophomore I jumped on it - ordered one without ever playing one from Guitar Center in early December 2018. I guess I lucked out because I bonded with this one immediately

The American Performer has some twists on the traditional Mustang - slightly wider nut width, jumbo frets, 9.5" radius, and a slightly reworked bridge. And being totally honest I didn't even realize one of the reworks - there is a small hole drilled in the middle of the hot dog bar and in the middle of the bridge plate. You get a steel pin that goes through the holes to hold the hot dog bar in place when you restring. Of course I've restrung it about 4 times now before discovering the pin.:oops:

Here she is:

[​IMG]

And if anyone is looking for a case that fits a Mustang (or Duo-Sonic, etc.) I discovered that it fits well in this Roadrunner Boulevard tweed case I had hanging around the house:

[​IMG]

Mr Scallywag and nickhofen like this.
  20. Brunodel

Brunodel TDPRI Member

Hi
    Happy to be part of the club with my 1964 all original Mustang olympic white, 22 1/2 scale, A narrow neck..
    she sounds so good !
    Happy new year everybody
    Bruno

7876D785-4860-43BD-B3F0-9488BE915DBE.jpeg

8882AFC5-FEE1-4689-B915-C18C0A09B38E.jpeg

A6FAE569-1530-4DD3-89E0-3434EEC7DC62.jpeg

howardlo and Mr Scallywag like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.