Fender Mustang GT Series Amps

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by pondcaster, Apr 10, 2017.

1. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Thanks but the ODs were definitely in front of the amp (to the left). Reverb was after the amp (to the right).

2. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Wife said the Mustang GT 100 was cute. That was enough for me to sell it ASAP ha ha!

3. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Ok, well i would suggest you play another one in the store if for no other reason than to see if yours was defective because i assure you mine doesn't do anything like that at all. I can turn the greenbox to where it's gain is at unity or a touch beyond and all you hear thats different is the sight tonal curve of the box. It had to be defective. Even if you don't want to get another,if you;re in a GC or somewhere that has one on display it would be great if you could try it and report back.

4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I really appreciate fender4life's reporting his impressions. His updates have been much better than the random, generic criticisms based on first impressions by others. The Andertons video was pretty decent IMO..
    I am not sure what folks are expecting out of a $400 amp (or $249 for the 40 watt). Is anyone really expecting a Kemper, Helix or Fractal?
    Anyway, I'll wait for more youtube vids, gear reviews and a little personal interaction before I decide if it fits any needs for me.
    Nothing in this price range surprises me. IMO, the Marshall Code is disappointing and the non-modeling Yamaha THR 10 series has better tones.

pondcaster likes this.
  5. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Would you happen to use ozcad or dazco as your user name on other forums?

6. DougF

DougF Tele-Meister

I picked up a GT 100 about three hours ago from the Edina, Minnesota Guitar Center. I haven't had much time to fiddle with it, but here are my initial impressions. First off, to my ears it sounds really different from the Mustang IIIv2. The amp models are a lot "cleaner" and I really like many of the factory presets, especially the Rockabilly Train one. To my ears the 65 Deluxe sounds awful. I agree with the others that I think the speaker needs a break-in period, to me it sounds a little sterile and stiff. I am by no means a vintage amp audiophile, but I think the Princeton and the Twin sounded better after I switched the cabs to a 1x12-65 Deluxe. Personally I don't find the sense in trying to model a single speaker to sound like multiple ones like the Twins or Bassman. Not really a Marshall or heavy metal guy, can't give a good assessment on how the amp models those tones. Navigating and changing the presets seemed mostly intuitive after playing around with the knobs a little bit, but I will be the first to admit I don't do much as far as signal chains and what not since my passion is early rock and roll. It is frustrating that the extended manual isn't available yet, and I haven't found the Fender Tone App available for Android. I am going to play with the amp a few weeks before I decide wether or not to get the four button foot switch.I am also curious to see what some of the posters from Fender Fuse like InTheBlues come up with for modeling patches.

JCW308 and pondcaster like this.
  7. Nolefinity

Nolefinity Tele-Meister

8. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

I've put my order in for a GT100, hope to have it in the next week. I have read all the documentation but nowhere can I find how many USER preset slots are available. Does anybody know?

9. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Limborg!

10. Ash

Ash Tele-Meister

I just quoted you! ;)

Don't all modeling amps have a full-range speaker, like something you'd find in a PA or even a stereo? How else do they model speaker cabinets? People don't seem to realize this. Putting a standard guitar speaker into a modeling amp might sound like a good idea to some, but it isn't how these amps are designed. They're not just modeling tubes and circuits, they're modeling speaker cabinets and combinations (4x10, 1x12, etc.).

11. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

It isn't physically possible to get 'full range' out of a single 12" speaker. I've seen pseudo full range 12" speakers (not recently) that have a central tweeter cone (used in juke bokes). For full-range you need a tweeter for the high end and closed back, preferably ported, to get the bottom end. A full range system could handle bass guitar, guitar, vocals and acoustic guitar equally well. Now, if you mean 'full guitar range' maybe it does have an extended frequency response but Celestion speakers are known for their mid range bark.

pondcaster likes this.
  12. tasothdevil

tasothdevil TDPRI Member

will it mute the speaker when I use the XLR line out?

13. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Nope

14. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to correct you, but this is completely inaccurate info. There is nothing "pseudo" about a 12" full range speaker. They are called dual concentric drivers and have a real tweeter in the center many times hidden by the dust cover. My Matrix Q12 FRFR monitors which were designed specifically for use with guitar modelers use them and have a frequency response from 40 to 20,000 Hz well above most hearing range. Tannoy has been using them in their high end audiophile speakers for a long time. They offer certain advantages over system with separate drivers , and they do not suffer from the same time alignment and coherency issues the latter do. Many of your modern higher end FRFR systems are using single 12" full range speaker or 2 of them if its a 2 x 12.

boredguy6060, opend and JCW308 like this.
  15. DougF

DougF Tele-Meister

Just a quick note to backup what other have posted, the old four button footswitch seems to work with my new GT100, just the LCD doesn't display correctly. I was able to record using the looper function, just a matter of following the steps in the now available extended manual.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  16. tersec

tersec TDPRI Member

Why not just return it and get another one or your money back? Why would someone want to buy a defective one?

boredguy6060, dragonfly66 and Ash like this.
  17. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

It's not defective. I just don't like it and don't feel like making the trek back to return it.

18. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

As the poster you were telling to said, it is not possible to get a SINGLE 12" full range speaker. The Matrix has a 12" driver and a tweeter. This is not what Fender is calling a "full range" speaker.

I have an original Fender GDEC which has what Fender calls a specially designed "full range" speaker. Looks and sounds like it was specially designed to be as cheap as possible to manufacture.

dobrojoe likes this.
  19. Mullet Man

Mullet Man Tele-Meister

I made the journey last night to look these over. For once the GC was empty (was 8PM). I didn't find the GTs so I asked the dude in the guitar area if they had them. He pointed me to the MIII. No idea these were out/announced. I blame the store mgmt for that. Another guy, in the live section, offered to look them up in the inventory system. Nothing listed, not even at the distribution center.

FMIC is HQ'ed in Scottsdale (30 minutes away), but try finding anything other than a standard model of any guitar, or a American Pro or two, and your out of luck.

Oh well, saves me money.

You guys are lucky to be able to walk into stores and put hands on gear.

20. jgat

jgat TDPRI Member

* Plywood now, MDF in earlier models *

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.