Fender Mustang Floor Direct to PA- Live Gig Video

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by tapollok, Mar 9, 2013.

1. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Had to run Mustang Floor direct to PA last week....exactly the reason I bought it...a failsafe for tube amp failure.
    Had literally 5 minutes to set up by the time the first band cleared the stage.
    No sound check...just let 'er rip commando style!
    I'll post more video if this interests anyone.
    It has become integral to my rig...mostly run it into a Genz-Benz Black Pearl.

Important stuff:

I run an OCD in the effects loop...just above unity and hint of hair... with a variety of clean and just "edge of" patches.
    With the OCD (only had it a week) I can get everything I need from my guitar volume knob, and the OCD takes any hint of digital coldness out of the sound.
    If you look closely, you'll see I don't step on a pedal until after the solo break...
    I realized the OCD was NOT on! You can hear just ever so slightly more volume a little sweeter tube tone after it gets stomped.

Squier CVBSB with Keystones, 4-way Elek-Trix harness with treble bleed and .33 cap.
    Patch is a Dumble clone downloaded and tweaked...uses Twin Reverb amp model.

You'll also notice I flub some notes toward the end of solo and I hit the volume knob during the flourish when I squat down...you can hear the tone get fuzzy...it was at about 1/2 way up 'till then.

For those who poo-poo multi's...this was the best tone of all guitars that day.
    Everyone else went through the backline HR Deluxe.

Cheers,

Tom

2. PeteMac

PeteMac Friend of Leo's

I was at the local leg of the Fender Roadshow last week and watched with interest as they put the Mustang through its paces.
    I was pretty impressed. Seemed like a very useful gizmo.

3. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

Sounded great...the board, your pickin, and the whole band! Yeah, I take a multi-FX (currently have the Boss ME-70) along on every gig just in case also. And there was even one gig I played where no amps were allowed on the stage (the contract was very specific). I plugged my Telecaster right into a cheap Digitech that I had at the time, dialed up the Twin Reverb model, and gave the output to the pro sound company that they had hired to run this whole concert series. I have no idea what they did, but it was about the best I've ever sounded up on the stage!

4. DG_Griffin

DG_Griffin TDPRI Member

Is that patch on Fuse? If so what's it titled, I'd like to give it a go.

HigherCalling.BandPage.com

5. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

I did download a patch titled "Dumble Clean"....but I can't say how bastardized it is now.
    I will itemize the settings and post them here.
    I do know that it is a Twin Reverb amp model with post overdrive and a little reverb.

6. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Not a great recording...but this is. '57 Deluxe amp model...
    Lead patch adds a simple compressor stomp just to boost the signal...
    I think it's a good example of a tweedy setting that cuts thru the mix....
    We didn't run sound.

7. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

I traded in a Boss GT-10 recently and used the funds I got from it to buy the Mustang Floor. No regrets at all and the MF is better sounding in all aspects with the exception of not having enough dirt box models or as much programming flexibility though in a live environment it makes it easier to use. The Fender and VOX models are outstanding and the reverb, delays, and modulation effects are very good. The only downside is the lack of dirt pedals but that can easily be remedied by using dirt pedals in front of it.

8. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

That was my issue so I bought an OCD to pair with it.
    Huge difference putting it in the effects loop vs in front.

With OCD drive at noon...I go from clean to mean with volume knob...
    Awesome.

9. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

Funny you should mention your guitar is a Squier because I bought a cheap Squier Affinity Tele (one of the $179 ones) awhile back and put in Dimarzio Area T pickups, shielded the cavity and put in all new electronics with 4 way switching and shielded wire so it's absolutely dead silent with no humming whatsoever. Also dropped in one Graphtech saddles to boost the midrange and it is absolutely one of my best playing and sounding guitars in my arsenal and I have Gibson Les Paul, Gibson ES-335, Fender Strat, Schecter C-1+, and Ibanez RG series guitars. It really holds it's own against them very well.

BTW - great little bend you do in that first video. Love the Johnny Marr (the Smyths) type tones. I can tell you've been playing quite some time by many of the little nuances in your playing for that added finesse.

10. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Thanks...appreciate the complement.
    Reality is....I put down my pointy-headstock guitar in 1987 and didn't play until I built a Tele kit on a whim 3 years ago.
    This vid represents my 3 gig...ever. I'm just beginning to learn "how to play."

My Squier CV BSB is my #1...and the neck on my #2 cost more than the Squier.
    Yes, it has had Keystones in it for a month...but it is the best playing, best sounding, best looking of my 6 guitars.

11. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

Tasty playing sir.

12. bwires

bwires Tele-Meister

Nice job!

13. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

shame on you for not playing through a tube amp.
    After all, isn't that the ONLY way to get a decent tone. lol

14. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

It's getting harder and harder to tell the difference between modeling and real amps. I also have an HD500 that sounds like the real deal through an FRFR system; maybe a little better. It's a relief not to have to lug around an amp for every gig...:)

15. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Thanks guys...really appreciate the words.

Yeah, and it wasn't even a REAL Telecaster either :twisted:

Agreed.

I am not "in love" with the sound of the Mustang Floor either thru a PA
    or, commonly, in front of my Genz-Benz Black Pearl.

When practicing technique or noodling around, I AM in love with the sound of the Keystone-sportin' Squier straight into the BP....just gorgeous clean chime.

However, the Mustang presets and its flexibility on the fly combined with "really good" tones win out for live use in many instances.

16. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

I think I might do the dirtiest of all deeds on this forum:

Post this vid over in Twanger Central without commenting on the equipment and see what comments appear :twisted:

17. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Great stuff, Tom. The band is VERY tight, and everyone really complements everyone else.

Oh, and I guess your playing is pretty good too :twisted:

18. poiureza

poiureza Tele-Holic

Very nice playing and good tone ideed.
    Your bassplayer is extremely cool

Ok it's probably time for a coming out ...
    I had NEVER EVER heard about a "Mustang floor". Fortunately, Google is my friend.

19. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

Way to bust some myths Tom!
    And Your playing is awesome too!

20. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Nice playing and good tone, man!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.