Fender Mustang amplifier and multi-effects pedals

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Ikky, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Ikky

Ikky NEW MEMBER!

Hello guys,

I've been trying to figure this out for a while now and i can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere. I even tried signing up for the fender forum but since i'm not in the US it seems i can't.

Anyways, i got a Fender Mustang II amp (as a gift) and some time later i got a Zoom G3x. Since both of them are actually simulators they don't really work well together. The way to make them work is to completely disable the amp simulation from the Mustang. So i searched and searched and all i got was "turn all the knobs to 0 and etc and get a clean sound". But that still wasn't enough.

Somehow a miracle occurred and i saw something on the internet that said to press the "tap" button and hold it while turning on the Mustang. And that seems to bypass it completely. And things are working fine, i think. But it's strange because that hold the tap button thing is not on any manual and mostly no one knows about it. I was just wondering if any one here has a fender mustang and knows about/uses/could try it. And what actually happens when you press those buttons, does it become a "monitor", i don't really understand. I really like the G3x and it seems to have everything i need right now since i'm very intermediate, but at the same time i didn't want to have to sell the mustang, too much hassle.. And if it is letting the G3x do all it can then it's good enough.

Thanks.

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't know about that little trick, but using fuse and setting a basic Studio Preamp works with an mfx unit.

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  3. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

I thought all you had to do was go to one of the presets that has a clean amp setting. Then you can use you multi effects pedal.

4. Ser_Bob

Ser_Bob TDPRI Member

You can either set a clean setting and use the G3x as a stompbox, but disable amp emulations there. Or you could perhaps connect the Zoom to the Mustang's Aux In and that should bypass the pre amp. But in that case you must use an amp emulation in the G3x.
    But if it is working for you doing that then why change it?

5. Ikky

Ikky NEW MEMBER!

It's not that i want to change it, i just wanted to know if anyone has tried that "trick" and what exactly happens when you do it. But it seems good. But since i don't have another amplifier i can't really compare. I'm not very experienced in guitar sounds so just wanted to be sure it's good.

6. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Glad I stumbled on this thread. Similar question here. I got myself a lil hosed on reverb. Was sold a v1 as. V2 mustang v. Didn't realize it until too late. But I have a Mustang I that I was going to give away. Now that seems to have all of the v2 amps and stomp boxes. Does anyone know if I could run the MI through the MV somehow? The version 1 has no solid state amp or I'd just try using that. (I had so much fun playing twins and Princetons and Deluxes through a nice cabinet that I didn't verify the year on the head. Dumb, I know). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

7. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

You have this backwards.... IMO ;)

Turn off the amp sim in the G3X... and use it just for effects. Dial in your Mustang as an amp...
    I use a G3 on my pedal board for all of my modulations and delays... I only use the amp sim in it if I don't have an amp.

8. Telebrand

Telebrand Tele-Meister

Just a thought, as I do not have a Mustang yet, but wouldn't a firmware update give you all the new amp models?

9. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Nope. Tried all that. No upgrades from v1 to v2. I think the reverb seller knew that. He listed it as a v2. So, I'm trying to salvage a bit of the situation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.