1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Mustang Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bob M, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The other guitar player in our band just can’t seem to understand tone. He was playing a Strat through Line 6 amp and was getting a thin undistinguished sound. I have been using my Tele through a Super Champ x 2 with a 12” cab. He constantly has complimented my tone. He decides to buy a new Fender Mustang. This amp sounds terrible. To make things worse there are a million possible sounds which make it difficult to consistently dial in a good sound. Am I missing something? I realize that the SC x 2 amp I use is a modeling amp but I only use the DR voiced channel which I get a great sound out of. I have yet to hear a modeling amp that sounds as good as a basic Fender amp. I also have a DRRI which is a great amp. What is the appeal of these modeling amps? The cost? Does anyone really think that they sound close to basic tube amps? Am I just an old crank?

2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Conventional wisdom and my experience is that is should be possible to get at least an "OK" sound but you have to edit and save the sound rather than just flipping through 100 presets. This will require some effort to understand how editing and saving sounds works.

Then there's the guitar itself. A Strat has a few different sounds depending on the 5-way switch setting. I'm not enamored of Strats personally but I'd start with the neck pickup as it's the least "thin" sound available.

Once you get an "OK" sound, press whichever button "saves" it. Then it should be possible to get back to it.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

My Mustang IIIv2 sounds awesome.
    I've done tons of gigs with it.
    Super versatile

4. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

If he's using the presets, terrible comes as standard.

I start simple, start with a plain old amp voice you like and work with that. Add effects as you go along, build up the tone.

rickthescot and Rocky058 like this.
  5. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

You didn't specify which Mustang amp your other guitarist bought but one of my amps is a Mustang III v2 and I use it regularly, actually more often than my DRRI.

Just like with any amp it can take a while to dial in the right sound. When I first got the amp it didn't sound all that great but once the speaker got broken in it sounded a lot better. I use it on its own with a few presets that I've created or I connect the output of my Helix to the effects return of the Mustang. It works well for me both ways.

getbent likes this.
  6. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like he's trying to take mid-scooped bedroom rock tones to a live band setting, where our old friend Fletcher Munson wreaks havoc on those tones and turns the Hulk back into Bruce Banner.

Take a look at his presets. I will bet a million internet dollars the mids are scooped/set low on every one.

ce24, Frodebro and Digital Larry like this.
  7. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

Rule one for modeling amps: DO NOT use presets!

8. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a Mustang 1 v2 several years ago. It has sat in the corner having been played less than an hour in its life.
    All I want is a clean fat tone, all I have got is horrible noise, so it sits in the corner with the hope that some day I’ll figure it out. I am visually challenged and can’t really see the screen.

9. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I replaced my mustang 1 spkr with an 8” weber sig8. Use only the Bassman or deluxe model....maybe a touch of rev or delay....sounds great for what it is.

Tommyd55 likes this.
  10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

me too.

Got Twang, ZenGuitarist and blowtorch like this.
  11. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch TDPRI Member

I don’t know that amp in particular, but I echo the sentiment that most modeling amp presets are ridiculous - “Gee whiz check out this wacky tone!” Or “Steve Vai chorus/flange/distortion/compressor/more distortion but from a little practice amp not a full stack”, because that kind of stuff can catch your ear twiddling away in a store, but isn’t useful for a 3:00 song.

He ditches the presets, I bet there are useful sounds in there. I have a Fender R.A.D. (four very 80’s metal presets, with a “contour” knob), and even that can be convinced to sound alright.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  12. sluglas

sluglas Tele-Meister

You said it right there.
    He doesn't understand tone.
    It's not the amp's fault.
    Some people don't like modeling amps because they are not plug and play but if you put in the time to understand how it works you can get a good tone even out of ( do I even dare say it? ) a Line 6 amp.

13. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

I was in the same boat as you for many years.. That little amp sat in the corner un used. A couple of years ago I threw a Eminence 10" Ragin Cajun in it.. but never was happy with the thing..

Couple of months ago I drug it out hooked it up to the Fender Fuze program and messed around with it and now it is pretty dang good.. Not sure what all I adjusted but I really like it now.. I have 3 different guitars all with different style pickups and they all sound pretty good through it now.

I just hooked it up to my computer and checked in the Fuze program , it is set to Fender 59" Bassman with no enhancements added. It's just a good clean tight sound.. a good place to start probably.

gain 4

vol 4.5

Treb 8

mid 2.5

bass 5

presence 2

no pedals used
    no ext cab selected

You sure you have a Mustang 1 .. they don't have a screen..

Sounds like ce24 posting a few above has similar results to what I have found.. Sounds like a trend to me..

Marc Morfei and boredguy6060 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.