1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Mustang 2 vs Super Champ XD?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by thischarmingman, Feb 17, 2011.

1. thischarmingman

thischarmingman TDPRI Member

Anyone tried both of these amps?

Looking for a general consensus here amongst the TDPRI crew.

I've heard some comments along the lines of; the new Fender Mustang amps make the older Vibro and Super Champ XD models obsolete.

So what's your opinion? Fender Mustang or *Champ XD?

And, given the choice... would you go for one of these modellers over something like a Vox AC4TV?

All down to personal preference & opinion, of course, which is why I'm asking. :)

2. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

I just tried The Mustang 2 out today...it's the real deal. However, If your looking to gig or play with a Drummer behind you, then go for the Mustang 3 model. For myself, Im going for the Twin in this Series which is the Mustang IV/4.

The sound is spot on for all the Amps that it simulates. These Amps make pedal boards obsolete..as you can now dial up from the Amp itself with ultra high quality effects..and you can go in and fine tune the parameters of any effects you dial up. This is a Pro sound anywhere you go without the all the foot switches and weight of a Tube Amp. Try one out for yourself and take your time and read the manual..not hard to do..and you will see what a Studio quality sound you can have with these Amps. ;)

3. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Tele-Holic

I really don't think so - they're two diffferent animals. The SCXD is a more "traditional" amp. Two channels, WYSIWYG, and you're good to go. The Mustang is a more "contemporary" modelling amp, with multiple presets, etc. They really appeal to two different markets. I don't like dealing with presets, so I chose the SCXD. Plus, I like the tube output section.

Other folks will like the programmable aspect of the Mustang, USB connectivity, etc., etc.

Either way, I think both amps are winners.

4. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

It's pretty much a personal choice so try both and decide. I have the M1 and SCXD and the M1 really opened up once I used the Fuse software to tweak the settings. For me, I prefer the M1 as once the settings are set, there's little tweaking when going from channel to channel versus the SCXD which requires it unless you stay in the particular amp type range.

5. Grandma's Tele

Grandma's Tele Tele-Meister

I like my Mustang I, it's good to have beside my computer, however, it doesn't look very sturdy. Time will tell but if I were you and had to carry the amp often, I would pick the SCXD unless you want to take a chance and enjoy the fact that the Mustang is as light as a feather!

So, my answer is it depends on how you want to use the amp!

6. jbdrumbo

jbdrumbo Tele-Holic

I agree that they are two different amps - the Mustang is a true modeling amp and the SCXD is a more traditional amp with an extra modeling preset channel.

For creating varied sounds, with no extra pedals, the Mustang will be more flexible.

I love the SCXD's normal channel, with a touch of reverb. The preset models on the SCXD are interesting, but I prefer the sound of cranking the output tubes on the normal channel, and using pedals for effects.

7. Kyluckyman

Kyluckyman Tele-Holic

I have a SCXD and love it! The first channel has excellent tone.

8. phillip lee

phillip lee TDPRI Member

The Mustang is in no way comparable to the Super Champ XD. I played a new and a used Mustang 11 at GC, the slightly used model vibrated through its' closed back like a hum monster.
    The XD I just brought home is a Real Amp, I mean this in a nice way, but the Super Champ XD is really the best deal going.
    I could see the Mustang being more versatile with a younger group who knows how to tweak it, as well as having more user-friendly recording features.
    Sound wise, there is no comparison, especially if you use a good 12 with the XD.

9. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I've had both and chose to keep the SCXD. Nothing against the Mustang but the SCXD sounds alot better to me.

10. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Hmm..Yes and no...you don't like dealing with presets and thats fine, but if you are using any effects and don't play with with one sound of your own, then the Mustangs are winners in this feild. It's has nailed all the classic amps and their tones without any exception..especially in the III and IV model versions. The onboard programming is a one stop shop without any pedals..if you use any pedals at all, this takes it's place hands down ;)

I own the Deville which is visible in the photo just above the Mustang IV, the Deville being a Twin Tube amp that it is,.. is top of the of line for a tube amp with it's sound quality..and this Mustang IV matches it all the way and goes above and beyound with everything else it can do..Im just being honest here:eek: My Deville cost 3xs what I paid yesterday for the Mustang IV onsale for $420. bucs :eek: Yes, it's made in China and the $$ exchange is 7 to 1...so it's much more affordable to make than it would be here in the States. The few comments on here about it being less than stellar are a surprise to say the least..check one of the II or III models out if your looking for a small amp at home..the III model will easily gig out but not so for the II...to low on power..but still very nice ;)

Attached Files:

• 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      56.4 KB
      Views:
  11. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Tele-Holic

Like I said the amps are aimed at two different markets. I use effects frequently, and would never be happy with a Mustang. I really dislike having to "program" things. I turn individual effects on and off frequently, so I don't like having to switch through presets. I use the SCXD and my pedalboard. Presets are fine at home or in the studio, but they don't work for me in a live setting.

Also, your comment about the M II may not always be true. It depends on how loud you need to be. At 40 watts, it will hold it's own in a lot of situations. My SCXD (at 15 watts) is my main gig amp. It will cover a small room just fine, and a bigger room with no problem if it's mic'd. I worked a medium-sized room last night. I used the line out on the SCXD into the PA, but ended up backing off some fo the amp in the FOH, as the amp was covering just fine. If you're in a really loud band, neither the M II or the SCXD is going to do a great job, but again, it depends on the situation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.