Fender Modern Player Tele Plus Humbucker without the split coil...

James64

TDPRI Member
Hello,

I have a Fender MP Tele Plus (Tele neck, Strat middle, Humbucker bridge (3 wire plus bare, wired in parallel which I like). It has a 5-way switch. I had replaced all the pickups with Fender Vintage Noiseless. And I replaced the coil split switch with a neck on switch. The noiseless neck is ok (could be brighter), the noiseless middle is my least favorite middle pickup (I really don't like it at all) and the noiseless bridge is ok but a bit bright (I'd rather have a bright humbucker (a little bit thicker). I guess I really just don't like the noiseless middle.

Anyway, I want to go back to the original pickups, but without the coil split (the split coil was too weak for me and the 2nd position didn't have any magic with that weak split. If I put the original pickups back in, without the split, I'll basically have something similar to a Strat SSH.

The green and bare go together to ground and the red (hot) goes to the volume pot. So, my question is... what do I do with the white wire? Just leave it hanging (taped off)? When I tie the green and bare together and then measure resistance between that combo and the red wire, I get 8.68k ohms. I'm confused as to how this guitar will work with the white wire just "floating".

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• Fender MP Telecaster Plus Wiring.jpg
    Fender MP Telecaster Plus Wiring.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 25

Tuxedo Poly

Friend of Leo's
You can tape it off and ignore it.

The 2 coils in the humbucker are joined internally and the white wire is connected to the point they are joined to allow splitting. The method used to split the HB in the Modern Player is to put a short circuit across the red wire coil leaving the output on the white wire.

This diagrammatic representation may help.

Normal Operation
Humbucker_3_wire_split.jpg

Coil Split
Humbucker_3_wire_spli_operated.jpg

James64

TDPRI Member
You can tape it off and ignore it.

The 2 coils in the humbucker are joined internally and the white wire is connected to the point they are joined to allow splitting. The method used to split the HB in the Modern Player is to put a short circuit across the red wire coil leaving the output on the white wire.

This diagrammatic representation may help.

Normal Operation
View attachment 1040496

Coil Split
View attachment 1040497
Thank you sir!

Its interesting because it looks like that that drawing is in series... yet so many people think that the Fender Modern Player Humbucker is wired in parallel. It certainly sounds brighter than other Humbuckers. Series makes sense though since I once measured the humbucker at 8.4k and the split at 4.25k.