1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Modern Player Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by joaopazguitar, May 12, 2012.

1. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Almost bought one of these. Lots of good sounds with the pickup arrangement.

2. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I've also swapped the original off-white pickguard on my sunburst MPTDL for a black one. Improves the appearance of the guitar considerably to my eyes, and I think it sounds better all by itself...:D

raysachs likes this.
  3. sgierling

sgierling TDPRI Member

Hey all. I have a MPTP and I love it. I've had it a few years and have only had one issue. It stays in the fine even with heavy bending but when I do need to tune I get some resistance that I think is from the machine heads.

I thought it was my nut. I was using 10-52 strings so I switched to 9s. That helped a little but not enough. So I replaced the stock nut with a graphtech black tusq and man I love the sound. It's more balanced across the strings but... It hasn't fixed my issue. I'm now convinced it's my machine heads. There is a little bit of play if you wiggle the post when unstrung. Is it possible that play is enough to cause a bind against the wall of the post hole when under string tension?

4. Tony474

Could just be. i haven’t noticed any such problem with my MPTDL, but a possible remedy is to get some of the finely powdered graphite dry lubricant sold by locksmiths, etc., and, with the strings removed, sprinkle some aound the base of the capstan while turning the key with a string-winder. This will allow the stuff to penetrate between the shaft and the bushing and provide lubrication without using oil.

Unscrewing the tuners and very lightly greasing the shafts with vaseline, etc., may be even better, but unnecessary if the first way does the trick.

5. sgierling

sgierling TDPRI Member

Thanks. I'll check this out.

Tony474 likes this.
  6. Ajtele

Ajtele TDPRI Member

6002AACC-D11D-4F77-A9D0-ACBBF009F6C5.jpeg Finished ..

emisilly and teleaddicted like this.
  7. Jsam

Jsam NEW MEMBER!

Hey everyone. Joined the forum because of this thread.

I’ve got two MPs as my first “real” guitars. I’m mainly a sax player but have been teaching myself guitar for some time. I can take apart a saxophone and put it back together no problem, but I’m completely lost as far as guitars are concerned, though I am learning. So I come here with some noobish questions...

Bought a MPTD in June and the pickup selector has self-destructed. Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement unit? I’m not sure if there’s a specific switch I should use because of the coil tap. Next question, what are some common upgrades to really get the best out of this thing? First thing I’m really planning on changing is the humbucker for a p90 of sorts. I’m trying to get a nice, glassy tone. I’ve also done the coil tap/neck on mod with the switch so I can run the split humbucker with the neck pickup. Might also flip the humbucker around as someone previously mentioned before I decide to axe it completely.

I’ve read a lot about upgrading wiring...does this refer to the actual wires that are used to connect all the electronics or does this refer to changing out the pots?

Next up is the thinline. Bought it last week and I have absolutely fallen in love with it. Loving the p90s although they do sound a bit too dark for what I’m after. I read here that changing the pots to 500k will help with that. What units should I replace the stock ones with? Do I replace all four?

And finally....I know a proper set up is definitely necessary. I do a lot of tapping and “mathrock” kind of playing so a lower action is definitely preferred and I’m generally trying to go for a brighter sound. Skinny tops/heavy bottoms seem to be what a lot of players use for these alternate tunings and I think that’s the setup I want for the thinline since I plan on keeping it tuned around dadf#ae but I haven’t had any issue with 9s. Just need to buy some new strings for it since I’ve just been enjoying it the way it came out of the box. I like the standard 9s on the TD since that one stays in standard or around facgce. The question here is: does anyone have an affordable and reliable tech that they go to in the San Fernando area in SoCal?

Also, feel free to call me out on any ignorance I may have sprinkled into this post. I’m not ashamed to say that I really don’t know what I’m doing, but I do want to learn. Any wisdom is extremely appreciated.

Thank you!

8. Tony474

Welcome to the forum! I don't know the answers regarding the Plus, although I should think a normal 5-way switch such as an Oak Grigsby will fit in the control cavity and will be much more robust and reliable than the original.

But I can definitely say that 500K pots will alleviate the darkness of the stock P90s in the Thinline. On my example I replaced just the volume pots, although it can't hurt to replace the tone pots too. Beware, however, of one thing: if you buy CTS pots, generally considered the best, you'll need to ream out the holes in the pickguard slightly, because the threaded part is of greater diameter than the stock ones. I don't know whether Alpha pots are of the same thread size as the stock ones, but that should be easy enough to research and they seem to be OK in quality too.

9. waldru

waldru TDPRI Member

Here are my last mods:

Tonerider (2).jpg

Why Humbucker? I was not 100% happy with the P90, they humming to loud on stage. Now I'm happy - until the next mods ;)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  10. wade.o.matic

wade.o.matic TDPRI Member

I have the Fender Modern Player Tele Thinline sunburst with the MP-P90 (Chinese) pickups. After comparing it to a Tele with Fender "Black Dove" P-90 pickups - I found my Tele to be dull and uninteresting by comparison. Not terrible, just average and not exciting to play. Before the comparison I thought the guitar sounded pretty good. I don't know much about the Black Doves except that the guitar that had them sounded fantastic. (Classic Player Black Dove 72 Deluxe P90 Tele).

But having had good luck with TV Jones P90's before in other guitars, I replaced the stock MP-P90s with the TV Jones P90's (or T90's as they call them). The thing absolutely came alive! To me it was night and day different. I'm sure there are many great P-90 makers out there. But just saying, my Tele has been transformed with these - no question. Totally a new guitar! Ecstatic!

Tony474 likes this.
  11. Tony474

I can identify with that. I too found the stock MP-90s a bit on the dark side, although changing the volume pots for 500K ones did help.

However, I've bought a pair of Kinman Hx hum-free P-90s, Sweet Neck and Clean Bridge. The pickup cavities need deepening for these pickups. I have yet to install them because I haven't had time to rewire the pickguard and switch, but my experience of other Kinman pickups gives me great confidence in an overwhelming improvement in the guitar's performance.

The costs involved so far have been about the same as the price of the new guitar in stock form, but I don't care because it's such a nice guitar to play and I can see it becoming my default gigging instrument once the work's completed.

12. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have a Modern Player Thinline in transparent black with the P90s. I like it a lot, although I may indeed experiment with other P90s. I may consider either the Kinman or the TV Jones pickups noted above.

13. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I'm also considering the Mojotone '56 Quiet Coil pickups.

14. flux1968

flux1968 TDPRI Member

I just bought one and I love it but I think the neck pickup is s bit muddy. The first thing I'd like to try is to adjust the height. Does anyone know where to find specs on the pickup heights for this this model?

Fender's manual doesn't say and it's not on the Fender website.

15. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

The best thing is to find the height setting that suits your ears. Start close to the strings and lower it. Watch the balance between high and low strings and between the two pickups. If the bridge pickup is OK, write down the measurement of its height.

16. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Oh, and you should do that while playing thru your amp at your highest playing volume.

17. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

I gigged my for the 1st time yesterday and man through my Vox AC10C1VS she really sounded sweet! My RW 50s Tele which is my number1 only got minimal use. I couldn’t put this one down! Loved her tone and ease of play!

18. V1valas

V1valas TDPRI Member

Hi.

Can I ask, did you get the 5 way selector switch changed....?
    Mine pretty much fell apart and I have already bought an incorrect replacement. Do you know which will be right?

19. TommyBaltimore

TommyBaltimore TDPRI Member

I bought my MP many years ago now, sight unseen, used, from a GC in Minneapolis. I think it was Minneapolis...somewhere north and cold anyway. When I pulled it out of the box it still had the plastic on the covers and pickups and somebody had done a nice setup on it. I only bought it for the body and was going to change the electronics and neck to the one on my avatar. Turns out the guitar is a great player. I have gone out of my way to play everyone of these I can and mine has been the best by far of all I have tried. Total luck! With that being said a new nut and tuners were in order and I put some Lollars in it because why not?

20. wade.o.matic

wade.o.matic TDPRI Member

I swapped mine with a pearloid. Like it a lot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.