Fender mint and parchment pickguards just look white to me

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by OzShadow, Oct 12, 2019 at 10:08 PM.

1. OzShadow

OzShadow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I was looking at the actual specs of a Tele and a Strat I have. One has a parchment pickguard and the other mint. I had no idea. Both just look white to me. Anyone else not really notice a difference?

2. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

It's fairly apperant in person, but still subtle on some colors. (It's very obvious on a white guitar though)

Obsessed likes this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Depends on the light conditions also if you put a mint and white guard next to each other in a dimmer light I think the difference is more evident than if they are both in brighter light

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Mint green is obvious to me, but parchment is subtle depending on what color the guitar is, except for white.

JL_LI likes this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They are easy to tell the difference. I really dislike pure white pickguards on most guitars.
    On black and really dark guitars or guitars with darker or roasted maple necks I go with light cream. The light cream looks like parchment if the maple and body is dark.

Pure white would be blinding and make the roasted neck look even darker than it is.

Cream guard with roasted neck.
    20190330_072007.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 11:33 PM
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

The pick guard on my avatar Telecaster is parchment, not white. You can see the difference against white copy paper or next to the white guard on my Strat. The parchment is a really close match with the dots on the rosewood neck. I brought home a mint guard by mistake and it clashed with my Tele's candy apple red finish. The differences appear very subtle in the store and are nearly impossible to distinguish on line, but one or the other of them will look better than the others on a particular guitar.

7. OzShadow

OzShadow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My parchment one is on black/maple. Mint is on sonic grey. I guess white, parchment and mint would be more distinct stacked together.

8. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Re mint vs eggshell

Here's my Fender MIJ Hybrid '60s Telecaster in Sonic Blue

Mint (stock)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eggshell

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Naked

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Re mint vs parchment

And, if this is helpful, the difference between a Fender mint green pickguard and a Fender parchment pickguard on a Sherwood Green American Special Tele...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Re white vs parchment...

My first Warmoth - a hardtail Strat in Lake Placid Blue with a white pickguard and white plastics...

[​IMG]

My second Warmoth - a Tele in Lake Placid Blue with a parchment pickguard...

[​IMG]

To me, pure white looks sort of 'cheap'. It's too stark and too bright and makes the guitar look like a cheap Costco/Walmart guitar.

9. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

Mint.

[​IMG]

10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I love mint green, but I'm not particularly fond of it in my sea foam green 60s modded Vintera Tele, I may go for a white vintage plate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.