1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender MIM vs Warmoth necks

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by JSMac, Oct 25, 2020.

1. YYZman

YYZman TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

The problem is that can't select the wood from either company. I have some olter Squier necks that are beautiful and a MIM Strat with really blah maple.

For Fender, it’s really just a question of maple, rosewood or pau ferro fretboards.

Warmoth offers a wide range of wood species and you can put together some interesting combinations. They might not be cheap, but you’d get what you want.
    I had a bass once with an exotic canary wood neck, capped with an ebony fretboard.

2. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

I'm going pretty vintage on this build (Esquire) so fancy woods aren't really in order anyway. A little birdseye might be nice though.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

You should be aware that their "standard thin" profile is more "thin" than "standard" to my way of thinking. Think shredder guitar, or Squiers. I like their '59 profile a lot, its about identical to a PRS Wide Fat profile or a good Gibson Les Paul 50s style. Not huge, but substantial. I am custom ordering a new neck from them soon, and that's what it will have. I also once owned an "SRV" profile neck - it's an unusual assymetric shape - which I really liked and can't remember why I sold.

4. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

Yes, the side truss rod is very cool. I like that option a lot and I will get it if I can on any new necks from Warmoth.

RomanS likes this.
  5. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

I'm a little concerned about the standard thin contour. I have really small hands but because of how I grip the neck I like a little chunkier neck. I didn't get along with a Classic Vibe Strat neck but my CV Tele is fine. My AVRI '62 feels nice and it's a C shape and fairly thick.

Roasted maple might look good on a white body. Saves some money too.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  6. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

Hmmm, I'd say you have much more consistency with Warmoth, plus if you have a need for custom specs (as I and many others do) i.e. wider nut width, thicker profile, flatter radius, larger frets, than it's a no brainer to go Warmoth. If you are happy with the stock feel/specs of a Fender MIM neck than do that one all day long because it will likely be cheaper and easily available. You can buy one probably with tuners and nut already in place from somebody buying a Warmoth neck... lol

7. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, their Standard Thin is quite thin, the first neck I ordered from them is one of those. Thickness is similar to most contemporary Gretsch or Squier necks.
    My other Warmoth necks have their Boatneck and Fatback profiles. The Fatback really is a handful, I love it, but its definitely not for everyone...
    The Boatneck, while being nominally just as thick, feels a lot more slinky, because of the lack of shoulder. In addition, I took off about half a mm of the "spine", to make it more rounded, super-comfortable now.
    Unfortunately, there aren't any no-upcharge options between the Standard Thin and Fatback/Boatneck profiles, I guess the 59 should be right in that spot.

The last three necks I got were roasted maple ones, love that option, I put a single thin coat of TruOil on them, and polished them up - looks awesome, and feels even better, just like raw wood, no poly/lacquer stickiness.

Jakedog likes this.
  8. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

To be clear, the truss rod side adjust mechanism is offered on Warmoth Modern necks. Their Vintage Modern necks have the truss rod adjustment at the headstock, while their Vintage necks have truss rod adjustment at the neck heel. Their terminology is a little confusing between the Modern and Vintage Modern, but their website is pretty good about illustrating the differences between the three neck construction styles they offer.

I have a Vintage Modern neck with the '59 Roundback profile on one of my Telecasters and I love it for the most part. I'm not a fan of the compound radius, but its not a deal breaker. However, I won't be ordering compound radius again.

9. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

MIM covers a few decades. A 2020 Player neck I have no issues with. A 1995 MIM is another matter entirely

10. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

I was considering a new Fender neck.

Edit. I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on a simple $300 Warmouth with specs that I want.

Telecentric likes this.
  11. Cooper_aus

Cooper_aus TDPRI Member

I know this a guitar forum so it should be expected, but the few threads I’ve been involved in have been filled with similar guitar/luthier snobbery rhetoric as above. I would go with the warmoth, get what you want and love it. I doubt Hendrix cared the bevel on top of the 17th fret was at a slightly different angle then the rest of the neck . I certainly can’t wait for mine. Worse comes to worse in 12 months take it to a professional and get them to give it a one over.

12. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

I haven't sensed any snobbery in this thread. Just opinions, which I asked for.

13. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

If you were referring to posts like mine

The point wasn't to single out warmoth for bad fretwork (the necks are fine in that regard but so are MIMs). My point was that when you buy a warmoth neck you're paying for customisation options and not necessarily meticulous attention to detail.

14. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

Personally, if I wanted a basic Maple or Maple /rosewood neck I would not pay $300 for a MIM neck. I would rather have a $130-$150 Fender Licensed neck by WD or Allparts with no logo than one that says made in Mexico. I also would not order a basic maple or maple/RW neck for $300 from Warmoth. If I'm going to spend $300 on a neck, I want something different or unique. Maybe that's just me. For the unique neck, it's Warmoth all the way.
    Also, I don't ever expect to buy a neck, slap it on a guitar and it be set up perfect. Sure, sometimes it's pretty good right out of the gate but most times not.

15. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

The problem with WD, Allparts, I can't get the combination of specs that I want. You take what they offer.

Edit: I see that the stratosphere has some that the Allparts site is out of. Much better prices too. Still, spec choices are an issue though.

16. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

If you want bolt on and play - no muss, no fuss, no fooling around, this recommendation is a good one. I've purchased quite a number of Fender MIA and MIM take off necks from Stratosphere and been absolutely thrilled with every single one of them!

Fender new-take-off necks from Stratosphere are necks which have been installed on guitars by Fender, with nuts cut perfectly - ready to roll. Just bolt it on your body, do a quick set-up and you're in the music! And, this is a neck which has strong resale value and marketability!

If you don't mind cutting nut slots, and perhaps other finishing work... and you want some exotic looking woods, and don't care about resale... go with a Warmoth.

17. Wodja

Wodja TDPRI Member

I just got a MIM neck, was surprised to find one with the exact specs I was after. 12” straight radius, maple board, narrow tall frets, & satin finish. Was about quite a lot cheaper than a warmoth and I’m really happy with it. Got it from stratosphere.

Asmith likes this.
  18. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

I considered a MIM neck but for this build I don’t want the Fender Logo.

I’ve done a lot of parts swapping and upgrading but this will be the first guitar that I put together with all new parts. I tallied the cost and decided to save some on the neck and use decent hardware and electronics.

I ended up ordering a finished Allparts with most of the specs that I wanted. About half what the Warmoth would have cost. Not sure what I’ll think of the vintage frets but there was no other choice with the other vintage specs.

19. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

This thread is a mix of fact-based advice and nonsense. Good luck sorting through it all. A few realities to consider: For a bolt-on, it is not possible to have a nut "finally" slotted prior to installation unless you want it slotted way too high. A decent final slotting shoots for "low but not buzzing on the first fret" and that depends on the installation and resulting exact neck angle, something that will not be known in advance. There are guitars with crap nut jobs than decent ones, by far, and you can't do a great setup when starting with a wack nut. Half of the information posted here about Warmoth necks is wrong or BS. Go to the website if you want prices and options. There are some pretty silly generalizations posted here about Fender necks, too.

20. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

I got a Warmoth roasted maple neck the way I wanted it for $260. Stratosphere is a rip off (IMHO), look at what they are asking for Squier Bullet necks o_O

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.