Fender MIM Tele, Asking for a friend...

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
That would've been an excellent price, in 2009.

Looks like the previous didn't play it much. Now, the fret finishing won't be quite on par with today's MIMs, and in those days a few messed up ones did sneak through, but this one looks real nice. Very well bought indeed.

AndrewG

Friend of Leo's
I do get Affinity vibes from the bridge.
Looks to me like the bridge on the current Player series, same as the old Standard line.
1656372156912.png

jamesepowell

Tele-Holic
Ran the serial number, looks like the guitar we're looking at. Tried to link it, but it won't work.

Anyway, if you go here & put in MZ2018019, you'll see what I mean.

For $282, if it stays in tune & the electronics work, it was a steal.

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
great looking tele! I had one pretty similar to that but it was not in that nice of shape....ahh the good old days when you could find MIM teles and strats for $250 and under....have not seen those days in a couple of years- I'd say he did real good. Only thing I might change is the pickups (I put nocasters in mine and never looked back)

SpaceAceman

Tele-Meister
great looking tele! I had one pretty similar to that but it was not in that nice of shape....ahh the good old days when you could find MIM teles and strats for $250 and under....have not seen those days in a couple of years- I'd say he did real good. Only thing I might change is the pickups (I put nocasters in mine and never looked back)
LOL - I think he has already ordered Duncan Quarter Pound Tele set!

rghill

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Great deal! That one is clean.

I bought a 2008ish Standard Strat at a thrift store for $180 a few years ago, but the thing was absolutely filthy, and the frets were worn. I still need to work on it some more.

Southboundsuarez

TDPRI Member
Yup, I thought it was just me??? But it seems as if I have some slight recollection of these MIM guitars being very low priced on the secondhand market, when they first appeared. Talking like same money as a Squire. But then again some of those Squire guitars have become pricey too. For instance there was nothing wrong with the quality of those Japanese Squire Strats and of course the world changed their opinion of the MIJ Squire Strat to the point that it commands a premium price, as do more and more of the Japanese guitars of the last twenty or so years.
I am not even going to say how much I stole a MiM Tele for in days gone passed. I just now wished I woulda done the same with a few of the MiM Strat deals that came across my table. I was too caught up in the designer label era.
What many of the Made in America purists failed to notice back then is the fact that Made in Mexico is in fact made in America. It is in fact even technically the North American Continent.
For those of you that still can't wrap your head around a Mexican building your guitar in Ensanada? Well I will bet you a dime for a donut that a great many guitars built back in Fullerton and later in Corona were built by the crafted hands of Hispanic folks, many of those folks with heritage closely tied to Mexico. So in some sense, you might say that many of Fender products have been built by Mexicans and certainly whether it was assembled in USA or Mexico, it is still a product of American origin. Perhaps that realization is why these MiM products are now known to have more legitimacy and command a more midscale price as a true player series instrument.
Sheesh, remember back in the 70's when ya could be a Strat for the same dough-ray+me?