Fender MiM "String Tree" height and tuning problems

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by RedStratMaster, Jul 14, 2019.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Find a shirt button and put it under the butterfly to raise it up, if it works for you then find a permanent spacer.
    File the underside of the butterfly so no burrs to catch on the strings.
    Graphite dry lock lube in the nut slots. Number 2 pencil will work but lock lube is better.
    Did you 'upsize' the strings from factory 9s? Then likely strings are binding in the nut slots. Either file the slots or go back down in string size.
    Keep the factory nut, some of the graphite ones are too soft and the strings dig in and stick, some people mess up their nut replacement -- it's a critical functional part of the guitar tuning system and not to be trifled with even though it is small and 'easy to replace' from first glance.

2. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

Yes, I would do that

3. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I put the 'butterfly" string tree of my MIM CP50's Strat on a short standoff. It was screwed right down to the headstock and put the strings on too much of a downward angle going from nut to the tree, resulting in an upward angle from tree to tuning post. I prefer a more horizontal string angle from tree to tuning post. I have no tuning issues when playing, and I float and use the trem although not to the same degree that I do with my Strat Plus guitars.

4. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Where is the pic ?

5. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Exactly. It should be done, regardless, and is the easiest and cheapest place to start. A short (1/8") spacer should be sufficient, but string tree placement/location is a factor in choosing.

6. RedStratMaster

RedStratMaster TDPRI Member

Sorry, here it is:

Attached Files:

7. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It almost looks as if the spacer is sitting on top of the tree instead of underneath it. Maybe someone at the factory accidentally installed it wrong. Either way, I have had Strats with and without a spacer under the tree and they always tuned up fine with a properly cut and lubricated nut.

8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The tree just needs a slight downward pressure to keep those strings from ringing. But still, I dont know about tuning issues, maybe because it's pretty wevere, but check you nut slots. Pull the strings up after restringing. Play some and do that again.

9. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

D
    Dunno if that's original ?, the screw head is too big for the butterfly.
    I'd chuck it and buy one with a spacer and the right size screw.

10. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

To me, it looks as if the string comes off the nut at too extreme of an angle going to the tree, then makes a fairly steep angle back to the tuner's posts. I'd at the very least try a taller string tree (with the correct screw, as Mase said above here).

I seldom use my trem, but have great luck with the Graph-Tech stuff. Their string tree kits are reasonably priced, as is their pre-slotted TUSQ XL NUT I'm using. I have a nut file set, and needed to make the slots a tiny bit deeper, with a downward angle on the back side of that nut. Worth the effort, as it stays in tune, even with the modest amount of tremolo use I give it, and it tolerates my bluesy string bends. Hope this helps!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  11. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I had similar tuning issues with the G string on my partscaster Tele. What I did was switch to modern style staggered tuners, 2 with long posts, and 4 with short posts. Anyway, I ended up taking it to a luthier because I was still having probs with the G string. What he did was swap the long post on the A string, with the short post on the G string.

Somehow, reducing the angle from the string post to the nut, made the difference. This fix leads me to believe that string angle from the post, or a string tree has a definite effect on tuning stability. So if it was my axe, I would DEFINITELY put a spacer under the butterfly string tree.

As you can see in my pic, it has a modern string tree for the B, and E strings, which places them a fair amount higher off of the headstock than yours, and tuning those 2 strings is not an issue for me. The fix on my guitar looks a little weird, but it worked like a charm! I hope this helps you sort it out...good luck!
    TeleTuners 2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  12. lost sailor

lost sailor TDPRI Member

I replaced my MIM string trees with American ones

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.