Fender MIJ/CIJ '62 Telecaster Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Martinussen, Jun 12, 2009.

1. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

if this is addressed to me...all i am going by, from what i've read, is neck serial numbers...bridge plate A+xxxx or whatever has nothing to do with dating...afaik.
    to get an exact date i guess you have to look in the neck pocket. my serial T+6 digits is '94-95 (purchased new from Japan 4 year ago), my original bridge plate has nothing but Fender Pat. Pending, no serial. My neck pocket indicates '95, iirc. back of neck (at heel) is fat letters (earlier should be thinner font), afaik.
    and mine, perhaps later ones, is Alder. not that Japanese bass wood or whatever. (nothing against bass.)

frankly, i find it difficult to believe that mine is 1995 because i bought it new in 2009.
    also, frankly, i was getting back into this style guitar so i wanted to start cheaper.
    when i received it, it pretty much.... needed A LOT or setup AND break in. first impressions were not good.

i later ordered a new neck, 9.5, with larger dunlop frets installed. that experience, although i play and love the guitar today, was terrible. immediately needed a new nut, all fret work, lost alot of fret, and he neck measures at various radii...bad experience.

got Callaham steel, Fralin pickups--waiting for a Big T neck to try out, as i type.

it's an alright guitar, just "alright". too low string dominant, thin. (in its "natural state"). :D

2. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

that's a Fralin steel pole 42.

3. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

all my innards have been changed too. knobs,etc. no biggie, but i do like the heavy knurl!

4. david950

david950 TDPRI Member

Well, I guess it was addressed at the link, which seems to be one of the ones that believes the bridge stamp is an accurate indicator on early MIJ Telecasters.

We're in agreement. The info in the pocket is the only reliable method of dating those early guitars, and even then, there are reports of some having missing information (though many of those have changed hands along they way over the intervening almost 30 years, so who is to say?).

5. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh289/ichisatori/guitars/Tele/c26bf4
    that part seems confusing, i just ignore that bit, the numbers below that last paragraph are back of neck heel letter plus number.
    like this, is what ha is talking about (these are the later thick lettering as well). my bridge plate has no numbers.
    original neck: [IMG]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh289/ichisatori/guitars/Tele/51a9f88310ad080c968dc376522575dc_zps5d060a8b.jpg
    new neck...
    [​IMG]
    original bridge plate...
    [​IMG]
    not clear, but all it says is Fender Pat Pend. i know some have these plate numbers. yes, i've read they are confusing in dating, but i'm no expert. nr does that site use them--except to try to explain some kind of transition...some do some don't i guess. but the numbers listed there are neck numbers, like mine.
    no?
    i thought i had pic of my neck pocket. the neck itself, underside of inserted heel, has model, but no date. errgh...can't find my neck pocket pic.

i also had to pot my pickups pretty quickly. later. got new ones, neck first! :D

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  6. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

more sites:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.blackman4/serial.htm

and this Fender link...clears up my own guitars date... its the new MIJ, i thought it just couldn't be the '94 era, no it's '07-2010.
    http://www.fender.com/support/articles/japanese-instruments-product-dating/ (as you can see my two neck numbes line up exactly with that 2007-2010 paragraph: T and U). sol-ved!
    there's another GREAT site....lemme see...oh, it's xhefri’s again...check this page out!
    http://xhefriguitars.com/page9.html

mine weighs in fully dressed, at 7.9lbs. fwiw.

7. david950

david950 TDPRI Member

Yep, it seems the later MIJs toed the line with numbering/modeling standards pretty well. The confusion seems centered around those early years - 85 and on, not sure for how long - which probably had its own confusion relative to the CBS Fender > FMIC switch, Fullerton > Corona, and so on.

My '86 has no neck numbers, def has a bridge stamp, has a model stamp in the pocket and a penciled in date on the heel.

[​IMG]
    IMG_3352 by davem_dba, on Flickr

8. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

9. david950

david950 TDPRI Member

Couldn't say. I can take a pic or two and post shortly, if you'd like.

10. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

What do you think?

I just opened up mine. No date on the end of the neck. As I have seen mentioned- some didn't get dated. Here are some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

yeah, some definitely do not have penciled-like exact neck butt date.

yeah, that's the thin MIJ lettering, too. ALSO indicating older, iirc. i guess "older" means 80's.
    some? of those were Sen, japanese ash, i think.

12. rebelwoclue

Thanks Ted.
    Of course, no date to confirm but it apparently has a history. The guy I bought it from (a reputable picker) said it had been owned by Nashville musician and made the rounds/tours- he had seen it personally played by Steve Wariner and also by Anita Cochran, although, that and $5 'll get you a cup of coffee but it's an interesting story.

13. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

history is good! my info on the guitars is...well, i'm certainly no expert.
    the are a few here somewhere that are, from what i've seen!

oops, i see my "new neck" pic wasn't showing up (above), fixed.
    i believe, simply put, that the fat font indicates new, not 80's.
    whether the 80's ones are any better, i cannot personally attest to.
    wood may be different, though, i think! :D

14. juancaca

juancaca TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

mine is one of those with "A" serial bridge plate,
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/cavj76/telecaster/20130110_185824.jpg

neck has no serial under "made in japan" decal (slim font) didnt have penciled heel date, and didnt have the "B" for bounded, only TL-62 :cry::
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/cavj76/telecaster/tele5.jpg

and body's neck pocket has some scratchs, no stamps, and with pencil crayon some ininteligible big lettering...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/cavj76/telecaster/tele8.jpg

:rolleyes: fender; whatta confussing system :rolleyes:

15. rebelwoclue

Buenas tardes, Juan. Yes it was very confusing at the time I guess.
    I see you have some Dimarzio pickups. I am thinking about getting some '62 custom pickups and trying them- apparently mine were changed out to Original Vintages at some point.

16. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

is that single bound?

what does that weigh?

17. juancaca

juancaca TDPRI Member

thanks!! if you decide to try dimarzios, i recomend fast track T (the bridge one) sounds great from heavy distortion to light OD, cleans are a little treebly for my taste but not bad :rolleyes: neck one sounds so good for soloing BUT NOT TELE sound... i mean sounds clearer than humbucker but for shure not as single coil... great distorted and clean sounds on line6 POD HD500 (humbucker-like), unfortunately doesnt balance good with bridge one because has a lot more power (260mv vs 180mv bridge) ...o and a final warning: this strat size pickup doesnt fit in standard tele neck pickup slot... thats why pickward has that awful cut and body has a little routing (of course i didnt do that mods :() im searching for correct pickguard to restore and planning to put dimarzio Area T neck in place of the chopper, to balance better the pickups :rolleyes:

unable to check weight, and didnt have reference, my other guitars are mahogany bricks... double bound, standard custom 62 reissue MIJ, more picks here :D:D is the topic i opened when was buying this beauty :D

18. tino7770

tino7770 TDPRI Member

Hello All
    I have need to sell a pair of Fender MIJ telecaster 62 deluxe Reissues.
    First is a 3 tone Sunburst from 1994/5
    The second is the same spec in CAR Candy Apple Red.
    Both are in absolutely mint and unplayed & collector condition.....not to say they should not be.
    Im in the UK in Hertfordshire if theres any interest...looking for sensible offers,absolutely any trial
    Cheers

19. christhebrit

christhebrit Tele-Holic

Have pm'd you

20. tino7770

tino7770 TDPRI Member

sent you my details,Im pretty certain you will not find a pair as mint as these

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.