1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender MIJ/CIJ '62 Telecaster Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Martinussen, Jun 12, 2009.

1. slap dat

slap dat Tele-Meister

Here's mine. It's a recent ('07?) CIJ. It came stock with CS Texas Special PUPs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FiddlinJim

FiddlinJim Tele-Holic

No pics, but I inherited a 1988 (neck date) MIJ '62 Custom in sunburst this fall. It's my favorite playing and sounding Tele I've ever touched...

What's the fingerboard radius on these things? It seems like in between vintage and modern...

3. WickedMe

WickedMe TDPRI Member

Club me. 1997 Crafted in Japan '62 Reissue Telecaster Custom Candy Apple Red. Will post pics when not forum'ing at work. (No pics at work)

4. WickedMe

WickedMe TDPRI Member

Don't know for sure, but it´s pretty round (I like it) probably either 7.25'' or 9.something. No flat fretboards here.

5. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

Stylemaster wrote:

I've owned two Fender Japan '62 Customs. I still have the MIJ pictured earlier in the thread and sold a 2004-05 CIJ recently. Both have shallow necks. I'd prefer something with more girth, but I'd have to buy an aftermarket neck. I don't know whether the original 60s Customs had the same neck profile, but Fender Japan has a reputation for making faithful re-issues of vintage Fenders.

slap dat, that black Custom is gorgeous.

6. j2plan

j2plan TDPRI Member

Love mine this wat too!

I did the same thing to my bridge. This has been my fav guitar out of 16, mostly tele's. I caught three cheerleaders standing on it at a backyard party. Picked it up and it was still in tune. Plus a little chip. Funny ...right about where your chip is.

7. Angaliel

Angaliel TDPRI Member

I bought recently for my birthday a MIJ 62 CAR Red from 1985.

I just changed the saddles to brass compensated ones and put 11-56 strings.
    I also changes the pots and selector positions, so volume is front and selector is rear.

I love the feeling of the neck, and also the way stock pickups sound when I roll down/up tone and volume pots.....

Sonn this guitar is going to be my N1 !!!
    Strange feeling because its Poly finish, and all my others guitars are Nitro finish....

JP

8. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

Yep, here's my club membership entry... ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. david950

david950 TDPRI Member

Howdy all,

I've been a part time lurker here for awhile, but felt the urge to speak up after seeing this thread. Below is my current lineup, with my favorite front and center. The pic was taken for Jet City Amplification's Facebook page, as I recently became an owner.

I have a question that hopefully someone here can answer. I first fell in love with Telecasters for a real stupid reason - there was some movie that came out in the mid '80s or so that had a guy playing what looked like an MIJ '62 Tele Reissue, in Candy Apple Red. Does anyone know the title of that movie? I didn't even have a guitar then, but vowed that if I ever got one it'd be that one. Well, a couple of years later, my freshman year of college, I got a guitar, though it was a crappy Strat-copy. Eventually, a buddy at a pawn shop called me, and sure enough, there it was, but the buddy with me talked me out of it. A few weeks later, the pawn shop buddy called back, this time about the sunburst model you see below. Needless to say, I didn't pass it up the second time, though I still have my eye out for a red one. The Tele is still my favorite, even though the others occasionally satisfy my tremolo and humbucker needs.

So, if anyone remembers what I'm pretty sure was a forgettable movie, pass it on. Or, if anyone wants to let loose a CAR, that would be almost as good ;)

Dave

[​IMG]

10. Road King

Road King Tele-Holic

Newest member here. Picked up a 97 with rosewood yesterday. It's been "upgraded" quite a bit but I really like her alot.

11. korby

korby TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

12. dmarg1045

dmarg1045 Friend of Leo's

I have a '95-ish sunburst with Bardens. Pix someday.

13. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

need some color help please

i sent this pm to Martinussen, but i thought i reprnt it here for further opinions:
    hi,

i see the pictures in your #1 post, here:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/guitar-owners-clubs/166079-fender-mij-cij-62-telecaster-owners-club.html

i also saw another thread where you have thw same picture(s) and refer to the color as Cherry, or Traansparent Cherry.

There is also another picture of red one in that link above, post #12.

Then there is the Fender Japan page with these guitars:
    http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/fender/2008fender/telecaster.htm

...at that link I cannot tell whether yours is the Cherry or the Candy Appler Red (check it out).

I just ordered a Cherry one, but I'm hoping it the color of yours.

What do you think, please?

Ted

I will add to this post that in this thread:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/174461-62-reissue-made-japan.html

at post #5, where Martinussen refers to his #1 post pictures here as Cherry, a transparent cherry.

Please take a look at the FJ page I linked here.

Thanks!

14. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

anywho.. i just ordered a new cherry one!

15. vai777

vai777 TDPRI Member

I just ordered a black one and bought a candy apple red off another forum....those 2 (i'll have soon, hopefully) after I got my first a few days ago...they are fantastic guitars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Krijn

Krijn TDPRI Member

There's one in Amsterdam too!

Her's my recently aquired Custom '62 CIJ. Love it, and it gets some love every day.

Attached Files:

17. Superc_1

Superc_1 Tele-Meister

SQ MIJ Tele

This is one of the earliest SQ squires made; 4-digit serial number. This is one amazing guitar that plays better than most fenders and has good as a original blackguard ( I know I use to play an old girlfriends dads nocaster that was stuck under the bed in the back room of their house). It's like butter in your hand and makes you play better from just the way it feels.

Attached Files:

18. redstringuitar

redstringuitar Poster Extraordinaire

Deal me in...here's my '04 CIJ...

[​IMG]

19. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

mine, bought last July, via Ken at Tommy Guitars. Ken is in Osaka. this tuitar is.was new.
    bad picture, sorry:

[​IMG]

only things i have done to it are:
    1) wax-potted the pickups
    2) manually bent the 3 intonation screws (shown here, looks bad but it works great)
    http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh289/ichisatori/guitars/Tele/intonation_bends.jpg
    (i tried to take that pic straight overhead, but alas it was my phone's camera)

i also drop a bit of 3-in-1 on the saddles, they rust real quick, wish i would have down that first, i "pour" sweat all over it.

oh, i also tightened the truss rod to flatten it out a bit.

i want a fret job, as i like big tall frets, and i want some fralins for it. but it's workin quit well as is, i just have to use the tone knob a bit more than i normally would, *sometimes*.

i play it through an ethos > LXP=5 (pitch shift) > Boss SE-70 (slapback -- se70 is overkill) > LXP-1 (reverb); all those are half-rack devices i keep in a two space canvas/portable rack and into ch 2 of a (a bit modded) 1966 Super Reverb with CTS (original) alnico spkrs.

it kicks everybody's ass. ;-) "it" does, not me!

20. Stefano Biondo

Stefano Biondo Tele-Meister

Just joined the club 1985 MIJ 62 reissue telecaster custom in CAR

[​IMG][​IMG]Hello just got a 62 reissue tele custom 1985 mij (paid 800) of my own. I let slip by a CAR Esquire version at Guitar Center for a surprising 400 USD with case(somebody must have been asleep), that played wonderfully to answer a page from the Hospital.
    (hate when emergencies interfere with guitar lust) So I just go delivery of this guitar, it has the same nice sound and great feel of the Esquire 62 Custom reissue. This may not bee for die hard Telecaster fans, as noted by a previous post the neck is thin for a tele and it may also be a little more mellow sounding than piercingly twangy. I love it, like the neck and sound and the light weight. As I have discovered these had basswood bodies as they were for export to US and unless you got one in Japan or it says EXTRAD it is not going to be Alder or Ash. I do not really care. As you know Leo used Pine for the first ones and now there is a Pinecaster movement so there you go. See posts an Utube by Arlo or search pinecaster. Am currently making a pinecaster Esquire to make up for one I missed.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.