1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Mid boost kit

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Gutterguy, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Gutterguy

Gutterguy Tele-Meister

Has anyone tried this? What’s it do and are you happy with it?
    Thanks.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Super happy with it. I've had it on 3 Strats. Have it on both now... for probably 10 years. Gotta have it. One a Strat, you have 5 way switching, now you add another dimension to that. It's like a tonal multiplier x 5.

Here's my typical uses:
    -Off/knob at 0. Your guitar will be slightly louder than normal which helps with a small amp.
    or
    -I roll the knob to 1-2 and get a bit of grit for chording, comping and fills etc. Great for Southern Rock type tone. Just adds a touch of "fat voice" to it.
    or
    -For slide guitar I really boost to 5 or so, more sustain, smooths the edges, takes away any brittleness. etc.
    or
    -Rarely... I bump it way up when playing lead with the bridge pickup. Fat sustain and "woman tone".

awasson and drmordo like this.
  3. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Fairfield Barbershop V2, used to boost, Strats,Telecasters, humbuckers and is great for slide and lap steel. One pedal for all guitars including bass.

Provides, clarity, boost, string separation and touch sensitivity.

YMMV

4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I left both of my Strats alone and accomplished what the OP asks for and more with a BOSS EQ-200 equalizer. I can roll off high frequencies to eliminate ice pick. I can roll off low frequencies to get tonal balance, especially helpful with nickel plated strings. I can boost mids. I can use the EQ-200 as a clean boost with the modified frequency profile without changing it. This requires a little finesse with the guitar volume and tone controls. I use the EQ-200 with my Telecaster, SG, and Annie too. The equalizer eliminates muddiness brought about by rolling down the individual volume controls and I can use the mud switch and still get "tone". Settings can be stored to memory and changed easily. All this with no soldering, rewiring, or any other internal changes. It's the best $250 I spent on anything ever.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Richie Cunningham and dswo like this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Didn't Clapton use it to get both Strat and LP sounds from his Strat?
    Was it maybe even made for him?
    It's basically a little boost/ eq pedal that fits under the guard, I think the 9v battery(?) last a long time but might be hard to fit?

Never had the Fender but I had an EMG Strat set with the mid boost replacing one of the tone pots.
    I found that I kept it boosted a lot of the time and didn't really like the unboosted tone, became an always on pedal.

I could see it being useful, but I still prefer my guitars be guitars only and my pedals be easily swapped.

6. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

That's cool - very versatile.

What pickups do you use with it? and do you find some pickups get along with it better than others?

Also...how's battery life?

7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. schmee

Battery life is only a year or 3. :lol: I've never had it quit playing, have to remind myself to replace the battery every couple years so it doesn't.
    I'm a hot pickup user, but it works well with low wind also. Not well with HB's, ok with P90's or minis.
    The mid boost requires a full set of different value pots etc that come with the kit.
    You can fit the board under the strat controls on most:
    [​IMG]

Ron C likes this.
  9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

So where to buy?
    Does Fender sell directly?

10. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

Fender sells them. I can't remember which, but I know I got mine new in a add-on kit from either ebay or reverb for ~$100 shipped.

You've gotten good advice from the folks with the MDX. It doesn't act like a booster so much as an active eq that shifts the tone from Fender toward Gibson.

The MDX kit also includes the TBX, which I like very much and can be used to brighten the MDX if desired.

My favorite thing about the MDX is the sound with it turned down all the way. When the MDX knob is off, the preamp boosts the signal just enough to really sing, and if I want a cleaner Strat tone I back the master vol down to 7-8 and it sounds beautiful. I use GFS Vintage Staggered Alnicos, and I just love it. If I add the MDX at all, it's usually just a bit. But it's worth having just for the "unboosted" tone you get.

After building my "Clapton-ish" Strat, I'm now utterly disappointed when I pick up my other Strat copy. I may very well end up installing the MDX in it as well.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    schmee likes this.
  11. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

12. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I picked up a GE-7 and sent it to AnalogMan for modification. I’m amazed at what it can do for the sound of different guitars.

JL_LI likes this.
  13. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I have an original early production Buddy Guy USA sign strat that came with the min boost. It really gives you like a another set of sounds to work with. You can go from glassy clean to full roar
    I have one that came stock in my Buddy Guy USA signature strat. It can take you from glassy clean to nicely overdriven sounds. It's great for blues and classic rock. I love the variety of sounds.

14. schmee

They used to be over $100, now common at $59 I think.

15. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

I should add that GFS sells a pretty interesting preamp that adds a adjustable overall gain boost, a mid boost pot, and a treble boost pot. They sell a strat version and also a Tele version with a concentric pot so you don't have to run three pots on your Tele.

I'm seriously considering it rather than another Fender booster. It creates a bunch of options.

1. Run it like the Clapton Strat (volume, TBX, MDX) but with the Treble booster switched on with a push/pull pot or another switch.

2. Run it with the MDX bypassed, but a TBX and Treble Boost pot. Perhaps less useful than #1, but I don't use the MDX much and the adjustable treble boost might be useful, and the TBX is nice to have from time to time.

3. Replace the preamp gain pot with a full size pot and have pots for master passive volume, full range boost, TBX, then have the treble boost on a switch. You could also have the MDX on a switch.

There are other ways to wire it in, obviously. And there are other preamps available.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Active-Preamps_c_51.html

16. Gclef

Gclef TDPRI Member

The fender midboost kit is the clapton kit, which is also taken from the strat elite from '84. It was upped to 12db midboost and 12db volume boost above 7. They were 6 db a piece on the elite.

Volume at 7, tbx at 5, midboost at zero is your basic strat sound.

Twist to taste.

On thing to note is that 25 db of gain is a ton!

When I turn up the mids, I rarely put the volume above 7. Between 7 and 10 adds slot of bottom end that turns muddy with gain pedals.
    It is completely different acting when you run you guitar clean through an edge of breakup sound.

drmordo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.