1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Marauder owner's club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bugo, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Snitter

Snitter TDPRI Member

Fantastic mate. Thanks for doing that, it is very much appreciated. I think they will match better than the normal pearl ones.

I will order them now!

Cheers again mate

2. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

Ideas on replacing the pickups

I guess I'll try this.

I'm thinking of replacing the Triplebucker on my Marauder, as much as I like it. I think I can get a way nicer pickup in there, even if I switch to a three way switch and a bridge Dimarzio SuperDistortion pickup. I wouldn't mind installing a higher quality neck pickup in it either - one that sounds smoother with high gain. These stock pickups don't sound good when the gain is cranked up on my Marshall DSL100H and Avatar 212 cab loaded with twin Eminence Swamp Thang speakers. All of my other guitars sound great cranked thru this amp rig, but they have nice pickups.

I originally did not want to change out the Triplebucker but now I have changed my mind. I'm not sure if I would like a P-rail. I'll probably go with a straight nice humbucker and a more suitable JM pickup.

I might have a hard time finding a JM neck pickup that stands up to high gain smoothly and sounds good with the distortion instead of very brittle.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Note: I definitely don't mind going to a three way switch. I'm not usually too convinced with the split coil sounds from humbuckers, but I don't know anything about the P-rail.

The P-rail might be a great pickup. Does it have a great full humbucker sound. If so what humbucker would you compare it to?

I'll probably just go with a straight full humbucker of high quality that has the type of sound I like (SuperDistortion'ish, 498T, etc.), and a suitable JM neck pickup for higher gain.

3. rompo420

rompo420 Tele-Meister

Hi Duffy.

I put a Seymour Duncan JB and a 3 way in mine and couldn't be happier. I liked the neck pickup so I kept it. I did however put a Jazzmaster sized humbucker in my Jazzmaster recently and couldn't be happier. I got it custom made from Ken Rose at Rose pickups. Its called the Rose Picasso. You can pick your magnets, type of wiring, etc. Its a fantastic pickup for my JM and I'm thinking you might like it.

ForumRunner_20140117_063854.jpg

ForumRunner_20140117_063959.jpg

4. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

How does that JM humbucker sound when you put some decent gain on it and crank it up fairly loud?

I have an extra JB that I could put in it and that might be a good place for it. The JB is extra bright though and I like the SuperDistortion better because it has the treble EQ'd lower on the pickup itself, so that it is stronger in the mid and bass range.

The JM humbucker sounds like a good idea. I suppose I would have to change over to 500k pots because I think it has 250's in the Marauder. I'm not sure on that.

Maybe someone can correct me on that.

5. phutyle

phutyle TDPRI Member

Minor modding update. I cut slits for the triplebucker blades in the white cover. This makes it easier to set the height of the pickup, and I think it looks better than the flat white cover too.

[​IMG]

6. Snitter

Snitter TDPRI Member

Hello again all...

Im about to buy the graph tech ghost acousti-phonic saddles and electronics, and could do with a bit of advice. I need to fit an extra pot and a mini switch to the guitar. I think i will put the switch next to the 5 way. I was thinking of changing the mag vol & tone to a stacked pot, and replacing the tone with the graph tech one so i dont need to drill any more holes. Would this replace the existing vol/tone? http://www.thomann.de/gb/allparts_ep_4586_000_stacked.htm

Any idea what the spec is on the ones in there? I dont really want to alter the mag sound, as it is great as is. 250k? 500k? Log? Lin? No marks on the pots that i can see.

Got the jackamo inlays the other day and stuck them on. Aged white pearl block inlays. Really nice. My band keep wincing and telling me to stop dicking about with a beautiful guitar......philistines - lol!

7. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

I've had my MP Marauder for 2 years now and still love it. The only mods that I have done is replace the tone control with a TBX, which made a big difference. Other than that, I replaced the VOL and TONE knobs with Gibson Black/Silver Top Hats.

Believer likes this.
  8. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

I have two hybrid electric guitars; a Peavey tele stereo with twin covered humbuckers and the piezo acoustic saddles and processor electronics, and a Schecter C-1 electric/acoustic with piezo acoustic simulation saddles and the processor electronics, JB and '59 full sized covered humbuckers and stereo operation available.

The Schecter sounds incredible, even the acoustic simulation thru a regular good tube electric guitar amp sounds great. It is a super nice guitar and actually sounds like an acoustic. It is the best hybrid stereo guitar that I have ever played.

The Peavey double bound Custom tele sounds great when using the humbuckers but the acoustic simulation is not anything I use and to me it sounds very inaccurate, lacks tone control on the acoustic simulation, and does an unconvincing job of pretending to have an acoustic sound. I really like the guitar for its build quality, double binding, great neck feel, and beautiful humbucking sound. It is a really great guitar in the sense that it makes a great twin HB tele type guitar and it is beautiful.

So, I have a great stereo electric with acoustic simulation: the Schecter C-1. It's a beautiful guitar with great hardware and excellent construction.

I have decided that with my "Marauder" that I am going to modify some of the aspects of it.

I will not be doing any acoustic simulation with it and I don't like the idea of "stick on" fretboard inlays. I would rather clean and "dress" the rosewood fretboard with a straight utility knive blade - scraping the rosewood between the frets to smooth the grain of the rosewood, and then sand between the frets with very fine sandpaper, making the fretboard super smooth. At the same time I want to gently run the sandpaper over the top of the frets to smooth any irregularities on the tops of the frets, such as indentations that may have been caused by the strings being pressed against it for whatever reason. I'll finish the neck with some lemon oil and buff it off. This should produce a beautifully smooth fretboard, noticeably smoother to the touch.

Also I have decided that I do not care for the Triplebucker when playing this guitar thru my very high gain Marshall tube amps. The overdriven sound of the pickup sounds too grainy or rough. I want to replace it with a smooth overdriven humbucker like my Dimarzio SuperDistortion or a nice Seymour Duncan such as my JB bridge humbucker or my Custom 5. A nice Gibson 498 treble humbucker would also sound great.

I want to replace the five way switch with a Fender American strat three way blade switch, and eliminate any coil splitting. So I will have three switch positions: neck, both, and bridge pickup selection options. Zero splitting.

I plan on keeping the neck jazzmaster pickup stock at least initially, possible an Antiquities some time later.

Note:

For those of you that have switched out humbuckers on the Marauder; does it have 250 or 500k pots?

Depending on what pots it has, is it advisable to switch the pots to 500k to enhance the new humbucker's sound, or would this degrade the sound of the jazzmaster neck pickup?

I want to get rid of the Triplebucker soon and replace it with a premium quality humbucker like a Seymour Duncan high gain one or a Dimarzio high gain one, with black open coils.

Unless, that is, I can find a chrome or nickel plated jazzmaster pickup cover. I'll buy the whole new jazzmaster pickup if I have to in order to get the chrome or nickel cover. I wouldn't mind getting a real nice modern sounding jazzmaster pickups, a high quality one as well; as long as I can get one with a chrome or nickel cover.

Does anyone know if I can get a chrome or nickel covered jazzmaster pickup or just a chrome or nickel jazzmaster cover for the existing pickup? Will just a new cover fit?

I'll go for all black pickups, as in the stock pickups if I have to, but I would like to go with chrome or nickel ones. I think a black neck JM pickup combined with a nickel or chrome bridge pickup would look unmatched. It might not look that bad though, considering that they are two completely different style pickups; such as in that a traditional telecaster does not look unmatched with the chrome covered neck pickup and black bridge pickup. It would just be the reverse of that - black JM neck and chrome covered full sized humbucker.

I have decided that my Marauder deserves a high quality real nice replacement humbucker bridge pickup that will produce a nice smooth but strong high gain sound thru my Marshall tube amps.

I do not want to put in a P-Rail pickup. I want to use a regular form humbucker.

Any suggestions from experienced modders are appreciated. I'm looking forward to some great feedback. The look I'm going for is the normal chrome or nickel covered humbucker. The sound I'm looking for is the nice sounding high gain of a JB or SuperDistortion humbucker - even a Gibson 498 or a Duncan "Custom Custom".

Thanks in advance for any feedback from those who have done this type of thing; moving from a five way switch to a three way blade, combining a single coil with a humbucker, etc.

9. Aziz

Aziz NEW MEMBER!

AWESOME!!

10. seedlings

seedlings TDPRI Member

It comes with 500k volume pot. I tried a 1Meg volume pot and it made the Jazzmaster unbearably bright, but the tribucker will sound better (more resistance to ground makes everything brighter). Mine is still a work in progress as far as tone goes... but I bought it for looks and playability =Wowza= in that department!

CHAD

11. simonrichie666

simonrichie666 NEW MEMBER!

Marauder Mod Ideas

I bought a black marauder about a year ago and love it.
    Having said that I still want to modify it to make it perfect. These are some ideas that I'd like to do but I'm curious to see if anyone else had done them and to see how it worked out.

I'd like to replace the current strat style bridge with a Tune-o-Matic and a jazzmaster style trem system. It looks like it might be a tight squeeze to get it on there. Anyone know for sure?

I love the triple-bucker but want to make my own triple-bucker with Seymour Duncan JBs. This sounds ambitious I know but I think with 1.5 JBs it would sound great but I know I'd have to have a larger hole cut. Has anyone else made Triple-Buckers out of other pickups?

12. seedlings

seedlings TDPRI Member

Still tweaking tones. Here is a DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the bridge, and I settled on the darker 2200pF cap:

And the Jazzmaster, along with 5-way series/parallel wiring:

CHAD

13. bugo

bugo Tele-Holic

It appears that Fender has discontinued the Marauder. I wonder how many were built? Will it be reissued as a cheaper Squier?

14. Hair Sun

Hair Sun TDPRI Member

Have you read that they are discontinued or are you just unable to find new ones for sale? Maybe they will be back/different versions in Modern Player III or some such.

15. pomegranate

pomegranate TDPRI Member

Hello! New Here!

Hi all!

Here's my baby Marauder. Daphne Blue, and a Seymour Duncan P-Rail in the bridge!

What do you think? :p

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      29.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      37.6 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      40.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      39.4 KB
      Views:
  16. pomegranate

pomegranate TDPRI Member

Sadly she's got to go. Gotta make ends meet... :cry:

17. pomegranate

pomegranate TDPRI Member

Is there a page on the forum for advertising guitars on eBay?

:oops:

18. Hair Sun

Hair Sun TDPRI Member

Great Color & combo!..... not sure about the ebay question

19. teleowner0196

teleowner0196 Tele-Meister

Could never bond with mine. Sad indeed, did sound good.

20. teleowner0196

teleowner0196 Tele-Meister

Pics of aftermath if you can manage it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.