Fender made in USA components, how many of these are made in the Mex factory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Skip to 11:30 and you can see metal parts being made in the factory.

Seriously? Are u saying that i said no hardware is made in the USA? Because thats what you seem to be saying, assuming this post is directed at me. And if it is you need to go back and do some reading. In fact, far as i know, no one here has suggested that was fact.

pi

Tele-Meister
No, that is not why they say "Corona, California" - they switched because California enacted stricter product labeling laws and requires the USA content to be 95%, but if USA components are not available you can go down to 90% USA content. That includes the raw materials like wood that isn't grown in the USA, and California also changed the "formula" used to apply labor to the raw materials.

Now American Standards were sitting at 85% USA content when that law went into effect in 2016; American Professionals are likely still somewhere between 80-85% USA content, but since the laws changed they now say "Corona, California". And it's not just Fender; it's almost all the major manufacturers in California had to drop "Made in USA": EBMM has this goofy "California Heritage since 1974" decal instead of the former "Made in San Luis Obispo"; G&L Fullerton Deluxes just say "Fullerton Deluxe" and CLF Research (and one assumes also the Custom Order models) only say "Fullerton, California".
How do you measure percentage of content on a guitar?
What percentage of my guitar are tuners? Is it by weight?

Hobs

Tele-Meister
The bodies and necks are very clearly made on different machines, with different fixturing between the US and Mexican plants. You can see this in the different fixture holes, and, in some cases the shape of the routes. I've never seen a US Fender with MIM style build details.
However, I have an '81 Lead 1 whose neck pocket routing looks suspiciously like an MIJ Strat of that era.

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
1-So let me get this straight....fender puts "made in taiwan" or korea or etc etc even tho THEY made the part? Ok you have me there sir. Makes perfect sense.
2- And there ya go...thats what my iniial reply to "all hardware is made here, i've seen it" was about....all hardware is NOT made here. Please explain to ne how my reply was misinformed or untrue. And please, i don't want to hear reasoning you conjured up because you had to make it up for your argument to be valid like the above. Made in taiwan .....Please explain to me why fender would make a part then label it made in an asian country.

But again, why am i even debating you, this is NOT the point i was making. This debate is mostly a waste of time because you miss the point i have made so many times i can't count them....i was NOT replying to the thread, i was replying to a post that said ALL hardware was made here. It doesn't matter in the least whether someone said tuners aren't, u did NOT say "aside from tuners". I was replying to....well...do i have to quote your post yet again?! Not gonna, you go back and read it because apparently you didn't or are just unwilling to accept the truth, which is all the replies like yours to me are NOT understanding that i was replying to that one statement, NOT to the thread in general and it's that reply that brought fourth all the replies like yours. If you actually think every piece of hardware on every fender named product is made by them then u r clueless and theres nothing more to say. If you believe ANY of them aren't made here then why are u even arguing with me? If thats the case it invalidates what your post said, and thats ALL i was saying. But then i get all this....geez...

So I guess Fender lied to me and the entire part of the factory floor where they're stamping bridges and cutting pickguards is just theatre for the guests.

And the idea of making production line parts in one place and aftermarket retail parts in another place, yeah that's inconceivable.

Allrightythen.

notmyusualuserid

Friend of Leo's
First of all guitars aren't cars there aren't 1000's of parts of various origins.
Some of the parts like tuners pots and jacks are brought in.
The pickguards at best can only be cut in house, Fender isn't in the plastics business.
But parts like bridges, trems, screws, springs, neck plates, shields, saddles, pickup covers and pickups are all made in the USA.

Except for the ones that are made elsewhere :D

notmyusualuserid

Friend of Leo's
So I guess Fender lied to me and the entire part of the factory floor where they're stamping bridges and cutting pickguards is just theatre for the guests.

And the idea of making production line parts in one place and aftermarket retail parts in another place, yeah that's inconceivable.

Allrightythen.

If you know anything about supply chains, materials and labour costs it doesn't make a lot of sense.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's

Allrightythen.
All you have to answer is one thing. Explain to me why a bunch of fender hardware at A FENDER AUTHORIZED PARTS DEALER AND WARRANTY STATION say made in *asia* but fender makes then here. Please, i'm dying to hear how you are going to explain to me why fender decided to package their hardware they make here according to you and print made in asia on the package. Can't wait to hear why they do that. By the way, are you not listening to the many times when i said in numerous ways that some may be made here? Did you not hear YOURSELF say "they make all thier own hardware? Seriously, did you just decide that wasn't you or what? Or am i wrong and according to you for some bizarre reason they make EVERYTHING here and label much of it as made in asia. You see, w/o ignoring these things and not answering them you prove what i already know....you're wrong and you ignore anything i say that disproves your argument. I bet as a kid you used the "i know you are but what am i" line a lot, huh?

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
All you have to answer is one thing. Explain to me why a bunch of fender hardware at A FENDER AUTHORIZED PARTS DEALER AND WARRANTY STATION say made in *asia* but fender makes then here. Please, i'm dying to hear how you are going to explain to me why fender decided to package their hardware they make here according to you and print made in asia on the package. Can't wait to hear why they do that. By the way, are you not listening to the many times when i said in numerous ways that some may be made here? Did you not hear YOURSELF say "they make all thier own hardware? Seriously, did you just decide that wasn't you or what? Or am i wrong and according to you for some bizarre reason they make EVERYTHING here and label much of it as made in asia. You see, w/o ignoring these things and not answering them you prove what i already know....you're wrong and you ignore anything i say that disproves your argument. I bet as a kid you used the "i know you are but what am i" line

My god the internet is full of keyboard warriors full of "facts" that are just assumptions or regurgitation of other assumptions they've read on other forums.

How many people here have been to the Corona, CA facility? I have. I went on the Fender factory tour. The ONLY things they do not make in house are the tuning machines and the pots/switches (which have been externally sourced going back to 1950). EVERYTHING else is made in house. The bridges. The saddles. The control plates. The pickguards. The bodies. The necks. The pickups. The finishing. ALL. IN. HOUSE. The only thing they don't do themselves is the chrome plating - so they have to stamp the bridges and then send the parts out to be plated.

I watched the workers stamping bridges, bevelling pickguards, machines winding pickups, sanding bodies, etc, etc, etc.

They make everything such that it's "just in time". So as the parts are finished they're wheeled over to assembly on carts just as they're needed. They don't have a warehouse full of stockpiled parts.

So there you have it. I saw it with my own eyes. Please resume pontificating over percentages of "Made in America" or how everything is secretly made in Ensenada and just assembled in California.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
ROFL. So what I see with my own eyes and have Fender staff show me isn't reliable? Ok.
Uh, are you just void of all logic? I don't doubt for a second u saw them making hardware. But are you so void of common sense and loginc that it didn't even occur to you that what you saw was NOT necassarily ALL the hardware they use? Your arguments all ignore common sense and logical possibilities like that !!! My god man, you SAID they make ALLL hardware here and ignore the country of origin on the packaging because it doesn't jive with the mistake you made in that one post.

Status
Not open for further replies.