Fender LSR roller nut experience, opinions?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by mexicanyella, Apr 5, 2020.

1. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I was rooting through a box of basement junk and pulled out a roller nut I never installed and don’t remember buying. It has a pair of tiny ball bearings caged on each side of each string slot.

I’d like to hear from anyone who’s used one of these. Any future trem use I plan to do would be in the retro Bigsby wiggle spectrum, not the harmonics pulled five steps up followed by string flap dive bombs. So I may not need what it offers. Also, I don’t have a fresh set of the .011-.049 strings I use to check if those will even slip through the (tight-looking) string slots. Anyone ever used .011s with one of these?

Did the roller nut impart any feel or tone difference you could detect?

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I installed and used one for a little bit on a allparts strat neck and didn’t notice anything really different about it tone wise, I’m sure it helps with trem use but the neck had fret issues so I didn’t use it to long and got a better replacement neck and haven’t fixed the lsr neck up yet.

And yes those strings will work I used 12-52 and they were fine

I don’t think it will makes much difference with a bigsby of the nut is cut properly, are you going to install the lsr your self?

Here’s my terrible handiwork/keep in mind this was the first thing I ever did “work” on. Despite how it looks it’s actually lined up well
    2097A108-13F0-49DC-A479-8B7D4B5636F0.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I’ve owned two Fender Strat Plus guitars. One was an E4 serial number 1987 that had an early version of a roller nut that did not like heavy strings. The second was a ‘96 that did have the LSR roller nut. It was not as picky about string gauge.
    I have never been a trem user, so I derived no benefit. Having sad that, I didn’t see a downside other than the non traditional appearance.

I thought it made my guitar look like it had been to the orthodontist.
    But, I also think Bigsby’s look like the leg braces they made Forrest Gump wear as a kid so don’t mind me.

Jakedog and Fretting out like this.
  4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I bought a Jag that somebody installed a LSR and locking tuners. All that work but it had a crappy TOM bridge on it, so to compliment the rolling action, I put a ABM 2400 roller bridge on it. It’s a virtual Floyd Rose, right?

Well, not exactly. The nut still pings. Other than that, it’s very tuning stable, and the tone is more metallic on open strings, just like the brass nuts I’ve used. Not a big deal, since once you fret a note it’s not in play, and plugging in, doesn’t really matter. I use 10s, but I’ve been advised it will take heavy gauge strings.

C7D60107-6F74-4B1C-BB95-3FF7FF5769C2.jpeg E732EDA4-1664-46D9-A94D-35097F22EA14.jpeg

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had several strat plus and deluxe guitars. Probably a couple dozen. They all had that LSR nut. In those days I was playing 11-48 exclusively, and they worked just fine. I never had an issue with the nuts. They seemed fine to me. If one is stickler for an authentic vintage look (I’m not) it’ll be a problem. But I’ve never had any performance related issues with them. Worked just fine for me!

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Yup, it was the earlier versions of that nut wouldn't accept the 3rd or 4th string on a set of 11s (the ones that were twice as wide and without bearings). The prior owner of my '89 Strat Plus did a terrible job of trying to file those two slots wider. Looks awful and still won't accept a set of 11s, lol.

7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've installed 3 of them. Amazingly each one came out perfect height just using the depth of the standard nut. I think they are fine, I didn't hear any tone deficit at all. I don't have one anymore though. They didn't solve any tremelo detuning issues for me.
    I no longer believe that tremelo tuning issues are from the nut (or tuners for that matter) unless you are really deep diving, I don't think the strings actually move over the nut with normal trem use.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had one on my purple Jeff Beck Strat.
    It worked beautifully, and gave me no trouble.
    If I recall, it’s roller nut used needle bearings, and was proprietary to the model.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    telemnemonics likes this.
  9. wrvond

wrvond Tele-Meister

I've installed them on a few Strats and had a few come with. I like 'em. No filing required, never wear out. In combination with staggered tuning machines, completely eliminate the need for any string tree(s).

brookdalebill likes this.
  10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, everybody! Good info.

To clarify my earlier statement, I don’t plan to use an actual Bigsby...if I install this thing it will be on a Strat-type mongrel. I just meant that I won’t be doing Steve Vai tricks with the trem...

11. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I had (of all things) a 95 MIA standard tele that someone had installed one of those and Noiseless pickups on. I hated the pickups, but never had an issue with the nut. That guitar went out the door maybe 15 years ago...

12. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Those were the Wilkinson units.

Bergy and wrvond like this.
  13. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Off topic, but that’s got to be the prettiest Jag I’ve ever seen!

BorderRadio likes this.
  14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Hey, thanks. I added the tort guard and that’s about it :)

mkdaws32 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.