Fender Locking Tuners

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by teledandan, Jan 18, 2020.

1. teledandan

teledandan NEW MEMBER!

I have a 2013 Squier Affinity Tele (string-through, made in Indonesia, purchased as part of a guitar/amp package). I love the guitar, but it wouldn't stay in tune. I just replaced the stock tuning machines with Fender locking tuners (0990818100)—$49.99 at Sweetwater. They weren't drop-in perfect (I had to carefully drill 12 small holes for the positioning posts, but it wasn't hard, and boy do they make a difference. Tuning is rock solid! Makes me see my Affinity Tele in a whole new (and vastly improved) light!

image0.jpeg

2. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I put them on my Cabronita - which was a drop in switch - rock solid tuning and negligible weight differential.

3. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I love Fender’s locking tuners. Much easier to restring

shupe13 and DougM like this.
  4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

The string can be played out of tune and locking tuners will keep them that way. What a good idea.o_O

5. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

They take about five minutes to install on any American or Mexican Fender guitar with modern, not vintage, style tuners with the two guide pins, and no screws holding them on the back of the headstock, as it's the screw in bushing around the post that holds them on. I put some on my Am Pro Strat, and as I said, it took about five minutes to take of the old tuners and put these on. Good stuff, and priced right too.

6. CavalierX

CavalierX TDPRI Member

What? You are kidding right... ;) they can still be tuned. The STRING is locked into the TUNER. The Tuner is not locked.... it makes it really easy to restring and use less wraps on the tuner, therefor there is less string to stretch or be effected by atmospheric elements like temperature. :)

They aren't bullet proof or fool proof but I like the couple of pairs I have. Lots of people think they are gimmicky, but they do have an application. In the end I find the vintage style split head tuners very stable and easy to restring also. I did put a pair of these on an Affinity Strat though and they made a big difference over the stock tuners and are very easy to resting. GL

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I was kidding.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.