1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Locking Tuners ~ staggered, advice please

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Razzle, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Razzle

Razzle Tele-Meister

Can someone please explain this? I bought these Fender locking tuners (#099-0818-100) brand new. I put them on my tele project and didn't even notice at first, but then I noticed they're staggered. I just put them on randomly so it was total unrelated how the pattern is hi/low. I'm guessing each set of three go on the high then low string sets. I am putting them on a Fender Elite tele neck and it does not have a string hold down T.

What am I missing? thanks in advance

[​IMG]

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

The three tall post tuners go on the low E, A and D strings, the 3 short post tuners go on the G, B and high E strings.

As an FYI on the American Elites, American Ultras and MIM Deluxes Fender has gone to all 6 being short post tuners; but prior to that the 3 tall/3 short post set was used on American Deluxes going back to 1998.

LPTyler, Gary135r, drmordo and 2 others like this.
  3. Razzle

Razzle Tele-Meister

Thanks. So is there any reason that I couldn't just go with 3 short? My thoughts are to just sell these and get some different ones.

4. Razzle

Razzle Tele-Meister

Or if anyone wants 'em I can trade 'em.

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Why not just move them? I upgraded mine to locking tuners with the stagger.

40806F61-9E9A-4635-9F43-1D5BE0CF930B.jpeg

LPTyler, etype, Razzle and 1 other person like this.
  6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

You mean 6 short? No reason to sell them; I'm not sure why Fender made the change because all these guitars still have string trees. Plus I don't think anyone sells that 6 short set as an accessory.

Razzle likes this.
  7. Razzle

Razzle Tele-Meister

Well I obviously don't know teles. And I can say I don't. Although I've had several teles I've never had one with tuners like this. Looking around I see it's pretty common.

Thanks to everyone for your quick reply.

8. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Just switch the 2nd and 5th tuners. You'll be fine.

DougM, Maguchi and etype like this.
  9. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Meister

The shorter posts allow for an enhanced break angle of the strings at the nut.
    I do have a question too.
    Is it necessary to have a couple of "wraps" around the post with locking tuners? Maybe at least one wrap?

10. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

No, you don't need any wraps. Pull the string through the hole tight, turn the thumbscrew to lock it, clip and tune. It's the best tuner ever IMO, and negates the need for a string winder. I put some on my Am Pro Strat, and it's the best $45 I've ever spent.

Ronzo, LPTyler and Gary135r like this.
  11. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

great topic, many of us who have gone to locking tuners, me included, don't (didn't) really understand how or why they work

-Different heights - IF THEY are differrent. This is supposedly to correct for Fenders FLAT headstock and the angle of the string tree coming off the NUT thru the string tree. Remember, Fender necks are a single piece of wood, probably 2" thick, thus a FLAT headstock and string trees.

- Loosen the lock wheel, guide the string thru the post, some minimal slack, LOCK THE LOCK WHEEL. Its a entire purpose is to secure the string so when we turn the tuning key the BEND stays secure. IF we do this wrong , our tuning will slip. Locking tuners do not secure the TUNING, they secure the BEND at the post. Thats all.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  12. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

False! Show me how a string that's locked by a pin in the hole can possibly slip. It can't.

13. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

No wraps needed. If you string them right there won't be a wrap at all.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  14. T Prior

HUH ??? What are you talking about, that's not what I said. maybe re-read what I wrote !

When I said "if we do this wrong" and plenty of people can and will, the locking tuner will not function properly, meaning if you manage to have TWO bends or DO NOT lock the wheel BEFORE turning the key. You may be shocked to learn what some people will do wrong and blame something else for its poor functionality.

The trick to locking tuners is to first line up the HOLE in the post with the NUT , or as close as possible. Slide the string thru the hole, leave a bit of slack,THEN tighten the locking wheel to SECURE the bend. The entire purpose of the LOCKING TUNER is to LOCK the BEND at the post.

15. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

What Guitarteach says, just swap ‘em to the right positions! They’re designed to be used with no string tree(s). When I got my AmericanPro I had the shop fit them their (very good) tech wasn’t in on the day so one of the guys on the shop floor did it. Wasn’t ‘til I got home that I realised he’d fitted the short ones to EBG and the talls to DAE. Swapped them but not before I’d e-mailed a pic. to one of his colleagues!

16. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I get the not tightening the wheel but am struggling with the ‘two bends’ scenario?

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The O.P. seems to have dropped out of the conversation.

I think this thread is a reminder, that some people are so immersed in playing, they probably should leave monkeying with the guitar to someone else. To me it seems like a lot of people chase this mythical advantage of locking tuning machines on a hardtail bridge guitar. All they do, IMO, is add weight and sometimes make the neck dive. Or they correct a faults in the usual die cast tuning machine design, a fault that doesn't exist on most "split shaft" tuners.

18. T Prior

Not knowing how to use them , too much slack, turning the key and wrapping before locking it down. The initial bend can move. If we think all guitar players know how to change strings correctly we are very mistaken . Something so simple sometimes can end up in a nightmare. thats all... Its a reminder is all. Many players are brand new to LOCKING TUNERS

19. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Yep, can see it now.

20. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Meister

Well, my number 1 has locking tuners. I absolutely love them! It seems to me though that the "bend" - that point of tangent between the string and the post - almost develops a memory, and "wants" to be there - in tune or not. This seems to be true with locking tuners or not. Just an observation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.