Fender Locking tuners for Strat & string tree question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dgabbear, Feb 21, 2020.

1. dgabbear

dgabbear Tele-Meister

Hi I have a question whether or not these locking tuners Fender part number 0990818500 will allow me to get rid of the string tree on my Strat. They appear to be a standard locking tuner that has 3 tall posts and 3 short posts.
    Here is a link with the tuner in question
    Genuine Chrome Locking Tuners with Vintage Buttons

https://reverb.com/item/14261299-ge...with-vintage-buttons-for-strat-new-0990818500

Thanks for your assistance

2. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

I would say probably not. IIRC Eric Johnson only got away with this on his signature Strat by shaving a few millimetres off the face of the front of the headstock. Maybe some EJ Strat owners can confirm this.

dgabbear likes this.
  3. dgabbear

dgabbear Tele-Meister

Thanks Tony Foreman, I wonder how the Jeff Beck Model gets away without a string tree too

4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

The Beck Strat has the LSR roller nut; Fender has never put string trees on guitars with roller nuts from the factory.

dgabbear likes this.
  5. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

still need one tree on strat or one "button" on Tele

dgabbear likes this.
  6. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Holic

Yup above...the staggered with one tree leaves much less tension and friction. I usually use the newer USA string trees also...so similar to the Select stock below w staggered locking one newer tree.

IMG_20170913_041418.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    dgabbear and carpenter like this.
  7. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Holic

BTW the above is stock but for example the tele special USA. Non staggered older string tree. The tab needs to be filed off under the tree.

The symmetry will look right fender etc. But if you like or don't the downward pressure that is another story on the high E, I like a fair amount of downward pressure similar to 17 degree angled headstock over the nut. No string tree not so much as it's to little angle imo. I didn't like the EJ neck so to each their own. I do like the body and electrical.

dgabbear likes this.
  8. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I have a 2011 Custom Shop Deluxe. It came without a string tree, and it does have the locking tuners (which are fabulous). I added a string tree. Use the string tree.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.