1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Locking Tuners Almost Same Weight as Standard

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by OzShadow, Sep 24, 2019.

1. OzShadow

OzShadow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I thought Fender locking tuners were supposed to be a lot heavier than the Fender standard tuners like the ones on my 2011 Tele.

The stock Fender tuners, all standard height with nuts and washers, weighed 213 gr or 7.50 oz for a complete set.

The Fender locking tuners, 2 tall & 4 short with nuts and washers, weighed 221 gr or 7.80 oz for a complete set.

I don't think 1/3 of an ounce is noticeable but the speed changing strings sure is.

Attached Files:

2. Gyprock

Gyprock TDPRI Member

Swapped mine out on my build and there wasn't any noticable difference. Worth it.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks for the “heads up”!

4. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

replaced my Cabronita with Fender locking tuners - easy change, work great and no perceptible difference in weight

5. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

I have never seen the allure of locking tuners. Takes very little more time to change strings with normal tuners anyway. Never been in that much of a hurry to change a set of strings anyway.

Did try a set once, didn't care for them, went back to normal tuners.

6. geektoad

geektoad TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

OK?

Confused regarding what that has to do with the OP.

7. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I love the idea of locking tuners.

I also love how vintage style slotted tuners don't expose any sharp string stubs.

"Thems both be my faves."

Good to know the weight difference is essentially 0; I am surprised they were over 7 ounces. I would have guessed three to four, but I've never held a tuner out of a guitar to get a feel.

Now that I think of it, 7.8 ounces for a set of 6 is 1.3 ounces each. That does seem about right.

Thank you @OzShadow for the overview and taking the time to "weigh in" (see what I did there? :lol:).

Wildcard_35 and Skydog1010 like this.
  8. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the field report -- been thinking of a set for an already-heavy old US Std but didn't want to add any further weight!

9. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Funny, I was thinking about coming back to the original tuners on my Duo-Sonic. I currently use a set of locking tuners and I thought they were heavy. They are the Schaller branded ones.

The Schaller and the fender versions look identical, and I think Schaller used to make them for Fender but now the « fender » ones are from a third party. I read somewhere that the Schaller locking tuners were heavier: 272g or 9.6oz. That would be more noticeable.

Now I have to weight them...

10. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

You could install a set of Gotoh Stealth, no locking available, but:
    72 grams for six!

11. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

It does sound like you got the satin set, the less expensive (works just as well) chrome ones I do believe weigh a bit more.

12. hudpucker

hudpucker Tele-Meister

I installed Hipshot locking tuners on my Duo-Sonic and also installed plastic buttons. Less weight now than the OEM tuners.

13. Skydog1010

I do not like the blood sugar check ***** of any tuner(s). Bled all over and acoustic yesterday. I was sad and mad, what a mess. I be really liking those vintage "stick it here - in the hole" vintage job-a-doos!
    Yes sir buddy make mine Vintage for sure, they are light to and now have carbon fiber technology backing plates. I like the sound of that, don't have any yet, but, I endorse positive technological advances in guitar components.

Tim S and howardlo like this.
  14. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'll stick with the safe-t-post Klusons. Light, and easy.

Lockers seem designed to solve two problems which don't exist, IMO: speed changing strings, and slippage. When I'm not playing a 6-on-a-side, regular 3x3 tuners simply do not slip, if a locking wrap is used. And that locking wrap only requires a single turn on the post, just as quick as a locker.

With Fenders, I much prefer the safe-t-post Klusons. Light, and easy. Just stick the end in the hole. The extra winds (if I don't use a locking wrap) need a bit of stretching at the very beginning, which I would do anyway with new strings. But the extra wrap has a function. I leave my D & G strings long (about four tuner spaces), and the extra wrap goes further down the post, creating a better break angle, over the nut. This normally shallow angle is the one weak element in Fender's neck design, IMO. Yes, you can get staggered posts, but it's nice to achieve the same result without relying on another feature (much like the locking mechanism itself).

I can't say if 1/3 of an ounce would matter, but I don't like to mess with extra weight on the headstock of any guitar. I'm sure most of you will scoff at this story, but... I dont' normally use headstock tuners, but one day I clipped that really tiny kind on the headstock of my Martin OM. I couldn't figure out what happened to my sound. The guitar sounded broken. Muffled. All character muted, or gone. I was really worried that my beloved guitar was screwed. Then I noticed the clip, removed it, and you guessed it, all my tone returned.

Obviously less noticeable on an electric, and I'm sure it wouldn't matter if I were playing with overdrive/compression, perhaps with other band instruments. But I play alone, through a clean amp, and extra weight is noticeable, not in a good way. I notice more fundamental tone, and increased sustain. Wait, that's good, right? Not always. Not for me, when the tradeoff is lack of harmonics / overtones, and a much less lively sound.

So, 1/3 of an ounce or not, it's moving in the wrong direction. It doesn't take much.

Alamo and howardlo like this.
  15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Are you sure you got your weights right?

I changed the locking tuners out on my Strat Plus for vintage style, and If I recall It went from 7 lb 12 oz to 7 lb 9 oz with no other changes. Maybe even 7 lb 8oz.

16. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Interesting. I've got some extra stock Fender tuners and some extra Fender locking tuners laying around the house... I'll hafta weigh em when I get home. I had convinced myself I could tell a difference in the weight.

17. OzShadow

OzShadow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

No I have the chrome set.

This set to be exact. https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-locking-tuners-0990818100/

I ordered an extra short one. That’s the only change.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Skydog1010 likes this.
  18. Skydog1010

Well, there's a psychological mystic to those things cause I swear they make my guitars feel heavier. Maybe cause most of my gear is that nasty ole Stratocasters rascal that I have trouble putting down. Just kidding I love'em both I'm a StratoTele feller.

19. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

I put the Fender lockers, usually crhome, on every single one of my 6-on-a-side guitars. They're very well priced, work great, and I've noticed no weight difference at all. The convenience is worth every cent to me. For what it's worth, I believe they're manufactured by Schaller, if you have any specific affinity or distaste for them.

20. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Compare them to vintage tuners and the weight diff is substantial, especially when it is on the end of a half meter lever.
    ... and, vintage tuners are WAY better than locking ones for at least 4 other reasons, but if you don't know how/why then, by all means enjoy your lockers.

beagle likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.