1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Lite Ash Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tle4, May 31, 2015.

1. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

I was offered a trade for my MIJ 50's Hot Rod REissue Strat for a 2005 Lite Ash Tele. They looks like they are same in used sold values. Anyone play one of these and can comment on the quality?

It has a Birds Eye maple neck. Upgraded compensated barrel saddles, cts pots, orange drop cap and shielded cavities which are all a plus. I am more concerned with the quality and feel of the neck. How are the stock Duncan Alnico II pickups?

2. Classic50

Classic50 TDPRI Member

I've owned two.... Black and butterscotch... Great guitars!
    The logo throws a few off but the necks are great.
    Tough to see the position markers on stage though.

3. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

Great guitars. I had an early Korean LA and now have one of the last Indonesian-made models. Comfortable, fast neck, looks good and the Seymour Duncan pups sound excellent. They fetch high prices now in the UK.

4. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Real nice Teles, IMO. I had a MII, sweeeet guitar. Beauty, too. BSB with nice grain & big bear claws on front & back. Neck was a little rough at first but I gave it a little TLC & it ended up being oh-so-comfortable. Birds eye maple & abalone markers looked fancy, got tons of compliments. Looked & played top notch. I swapped out the cheap stock tuners to fender vintage ones & put electrosocket in. Yeah, the logo on headstock looks like a bad fake but I loved the A2s so much, I have one in the neck of my favorite partscaster.

I bought it new for $285 when they were being blown out by some stores and ended up selling it on eBay for $450! Only time I've ever really done that.

I say go for it, they're normally nice guitars and seem to be harder to find.

5. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Ok... He is gonna bring it by today to check out. The guitar he wants to trade for is a mij 50's Hot Rod Strat. I am just not a fan of the Floyd Rose. And the neck is a little thin. Would like something with a little more to hold on to... How is the neck on the lite ash?

It looks like both sell used for about $550 give or take

6. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

The LA necks are a bit chunkier than those on USA Standards. Plus the satin finish feels very nice to play. The abalone markers may be a bit flashy for some but i really like them.

7. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mine has been my #1 stage guitar since I got it in 2008. One of the finest guitars I've ever had my hands on. The neck by the way is not the slimmest; I think you'll like it.

8. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

I did the trade. The neck was what sold me on the deal. Feels great. I have not compared it yet but it reminds me of the neck on my 52 Hot Rod Tele. It does feel a little chunkier than an American Standard

9. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Way to go!

Congrats, that's a great deal imo.

POIDH.

10. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Took some quick pics ImageUploadedByTDPRI1433112841.633493.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1433112860.033403.jpg

11. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Here are some pics sent to me by the original owner showing the mods done..
    It was shielded, upgraded electronics, neck pickup made to be adjustable heght, frets leveled and polished.

Attached Files:

12. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

more pics

Attached Files:

13. haggardfan1

Mine is a really great guitar. I've upgraded the switch and jack, but only because I was having it refretted anyway. Oh, and a bone nut, and I installed an Electrosocket. Those SD pickups can't be beat in my opinion.

Congratulations.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

A Lite Ash Tele selling for about $ 550 used?

That would be a super high price; an amazing rebound for a guitar you could buy for half of that.

I would probably prefer this Korean Tele over this particular MIJ Strat, but I think your Strat is worth 50% more.

15. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

I hae found sold listings ranging from $399 to $560.... Though the 560 one was a Made in Indonesia. Dont know if Indonesia made guitars effect the price from Korea. They looked pretty much stock except for maybe a pickguard change

Anyone know what these guitars originally sold for? They have been discontinued. I have found from google searching saying $650 to $850 retail

16. boris bubbanov

I had tons of opportunities to buy them from $ 300, $ 350. They were marked $ 395 much of the time.

Now, when the production was shifted from Cort/Korea to Cortek/Surabaya, the actual cost of production went down, I was told, 35-40%. Having said that, I think the actual quality and consistency of the Indonesian ones is better. There were some nice Korean ones, there were more nice Indonesian ones. Try out the Advanced Search function, when one company in Upstate New York blew out a bunch of these, new and NOS. For $ 350 or $ 400 as I recall - maybe 3 years ago.

17. haggardfan1

Just a year or so ago I emailed Fender with my serial number for some basic information and specs. Thanks by the way to Jeff B. at Fender customer service for a quick and concise response. :D

I just rechecked his email to be sure...original Fender MSRP: $899.99.

18. johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten Tele-Meister

You got a deal just to rid yourself of a Floyd Rose equipped strat!

19. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks... I guess that could put them in the $650 range retail sold in stores price. Not that it makes a difference

I just did a setup on it and had to actually raise the action a little higher where I like it. Also did the intonation and plays perfect for me now. If I was blindfolded, I don't think I would be able to tell the difference between an American standard or this in quality.

20. boris bubbanov

Oh, yeah.

The MSRP was positioned to be above the Highway One on the FMIC price structure. But these did not get the reception that Fender hoped for, and I'd see the Lite Ash guitars languish while other models with lower MSRP sold more quickly - and ironically, the cash price of those guitars was higher than most of the Lite Ash guitars sold.

We just need to recall that some of the old prices we bought things at are historical anecdote. Telling people I bought 2006 "Cubic Zirc" American Series Teles (superb nos condition but no case) for under $ 400 doesn't do anyone in 2015 any good. Clearly the exchange price on these Cort/Korea T types, used, has come way up off its bottom.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.