1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Limited Edition Road Worn 50’s Telecaster - Classic Copper

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by heffus, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

I made my own a few times .... 20180609_185120 (1).jpg 20170826_160906.jpg FB_IMG_1496507067909.jpg

boris bubbanov likes this.
  2. telebaby

telebaby TDPRI Member

I have a butterscotch Roadworn tele that I don’t play due to the 7.25 radius neck (zero fret wear) - I’ve been looking for a 9.25 neck...lemme know if you wanna swap!!!

Kreepy likes this.
  3. Kreepy

Kreepy Tele-Meister

I'll keep that in mind. Why don't you like it? I've got a classic series 60s tele with the 7.25 and I love that guitar.

4. spayne99

spayne99 Tele-Holic

What’s the “oiled road worn” neck finish on the copper road worn tele? Does that mean the maple just has an oil rubbed finish, and no poly like the other road worn necks have?

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Also, the idea of the Road Worn is that little things got changed on the guitar as it got heavily used. The smaller diameter steel barrels were current production - no doubt a number of people owning earlier Telecasters "upgraded" theirs. Easier than pulling frets, leveling a board to 9.5 and installing bigger, replacement fretwire.

I hope they're all set up as nicely as the one in the image. That looks right on, or as close as you can get with the eyeball.

6. boris bubbanov

Where the "original" coating on the neck has worn away, the workers in Ensenada just apply a wipe on wipe off finish to seal up the areas that are pretty close to raw maple. This is pretty close to the way the Roadworn has always been done. I would say the first year or so, too much grime and not enough wipe on wipe off finish. And this is why folks seemed to have to go get fret levels so often, with those early Roadworns.

7. spayne99

spayne99 Tele-Holic

I’m always on the search for a counter to my American Standard Tele and couldn’t help but pick up one of these 50’s copper road worns. It arrived from Willcutt Guitars with a pretty good setup and I’m looking forward to spending time with it this long holiday weekend. Really liking the worn feel, the vibe, and the fact that it’s a Tele that makes its presence known with sharp edges and no belly cut (in a good way) which is different than the refined feel of the American Standard.
    IMG_9647.JPG IMG_9649.JPG IMG_9650.JPG

8. spayne99

spayne99 Tele-Holic

duplicate message

9. spayne99

spayne99 Tele-Holic

whoops, deleted duplicate message

10. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

11. tele_player

tele_player Tele-Meister

I saw this at Nicholson's in Folsom last week, loved the look.

Purchased it yesterday. 6.96 lbs on my digital guitar scale.

Frets needed some work - they protruded a bit and were sharper than I like; the shop's tech did some file work before I picked it up, now it's very playable.

The guitar worked great on yestday's happy hour gig.
    Too soon to say... but it might replace my Nocaster.

IMG_0165.jpg

Nubs, 50hz, RYAN1987M and 1 other person like this.
  12. Spockguitar

Spockguitar NEW MEMBER!

New member :)- bumping this thread I guess... I just bought one of these this weekend and am loving it so far. I’ve been a gigging musician for several years and have bought and sold a number of guitars. I keep the great ones and this is one of ‘em. Best neck in my collection. Super resonant. And the weight is perfect for me at 7.2 pounds.

For a MIM and at this price point, the relic job is actually pretty good. It has some pretty convincing looking paint checking. I assumed I’d upgrade the pickups, but after running it through the paces this weekend at home and at practice, I’m not sure I’ll even bother... it sounds amazing.

3BD115CB-8F8A-4E15-99B0-8A17B72B237E.jpeg

RichCuellarPDX, 50hz, dalezjc and 7 others like this.
  13. HiFiTele

HiFiTele TDPRI Member

I just bought one yesterday and the sales guy told me it was the last in stock in North America. I liked it immediately. It plays beautifully and I love the finish. It's light, but not too light that you don't feel it. I picked it up off the rack, sat down and played it for 5 minutes then turned to the 2 sales guys at the counter and said, "I'll take this one." Very nice.

Mike Eskimo and boris bubbanov like this.
  14. boris bubbanov

Good looking guitar.

I hope FMIC authorizes the production of another batch.

15. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations, looks nice!

16. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

This just works for me, roadworn and the copper/blackguard effect is really nice, shame they never offered a lefty version, but shouldn't be too hard to replicate. Nice.

Nubs likes this.
  17. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Dave's had one of these that I played a bit before it sold. Had I known it was such a limited number maybe I'd have given it more thought, but other than the fact I think it looks amazing the playing experience and sound didn't grab me I recall.

They do look completely bad ass.

18. dellerton

dellerton TDPRI Member

First, let me say I am fortunate enough in my middle-age to own some nice guitars that I've had for years. I play in a bar band and my main gigging guitar (a Gibson 335 '59 reissue) was starting to get really beat up and I was worrying about it. So, I thought to myself: let's get a beater tele to take to gigs that are on the rougher side. And, to be honest, we were starting to play more funk/dance tunes in the band so it made sense. I stumbled on one of these in my local shop by accident in March 2019. I picked it up and fell in love. It plays and sounds (on the bridge pickup) great. I did add compensated saddles for some intonation help, but right now she's stock. I will say that the neck pickup leaves something to be desired IMHO, but I normally live on the bridge anyway. I will replace that pickup, though, someday (suggestions?).

I have played EVERY gig with it since the day she came home (I played THAT night with it). It feels worn in, plays great, stays in tune all night, and sounds like a Tele should. The nitro feels right to me and it shows some great gig wear already (on top of what was there). The neck is smooth and true. I love this guitar!!!!! I do bring a backup with me (I have a Reverend Airsonic that I really like, too), but have yet to use it during the dozens of gigs (inside and out) I have taken the copper beauty to. And, I don't worry about this thing one bit. A perfect fit.

RichCuellarPDX likes this.
  19. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Just drooling over this thread. Still, haha.

Wish I didn't miss the boat on one of these Copper beauties!

20. tele_player

tele_player Tele-Meister

I like the one I got last year (see post #31) so much that I just bought another one. Should be shipped tomorrow or Monday.

NicDo and RYAN1987M like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.