1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Limited Edition Road Worn 50’s Telecaster - Classic Copper

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by heffus, Oct 16, 2018.

1. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

fender_road_worn_tele_copper_limited_edition_1_.jpg
    I ran into this while clicking around on ebay. I'd never heard of this and there is no info on the Fender website about this particular model. Is it a new model? Seems kinda weird that none of the major retailers have it, only smaller shops. 9.5 radius instead of the 7.25 on regular road worn 50's. Has anyone seen or played one?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  2. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Never heard of it, very nice indeed.
    Have you asked Fender? Maybe it is the only way to know for sure..

3. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

I think I have seen this a couple times listed on ads....I thought it had humbuckers in the neck maybe idk. That might be something else. They did release some LE RW in the past I believe.

4. Ron M

Ron M Tele-Meister

Could be brand new, maybe you're one of the first to happen upon it.

5. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

A quick perusal of the usual suspects shows it is a limited run of 200 worldwide. Plenty on Reverb.
    R

boris bubbanov likes this.
  6. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Fender does this sort of thing to give smaller retailers items the big guys don't have. They make limited run/special editions and distribute them to mom & pop kind of places. As mentioned above, they will almost always appear on Reverb in good numbers until they sell out.

They also never bother to put these on their site since they aren't widely available. Armchair research can often turn up really great instruments that other people miss because they don't look for them.

bravescoob likes this.
  7. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

why would it have steel saddles if it's a 50's roadworn?

8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

....because '50s Roadworns have rolled steel saddles. Fender used steel in the 1950s as well as brass. A decade is a long time!

9. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

Was not aware of that. I always see the steel with the 60's models. Learned something new!

10. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

One came through a local store and was sold immediately. It's the real deal, I think.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  11. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

It's not something I'd buy because I am not a fan of the color but I think it is great that Fender occasionally offers unusual colors to satisfy the demand of those who desire something different.

craigh9 likes this.
  12. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Seems to look more brown with visible grain than copper to me, at least in that pic, compared to the older 52 RI coppercasters.

52 RI Copper.jpg

Rocky058, RYAN1987M, Crobbins and 2 others like this.
  13. Kreepy

Kreepy Tele-Meister

Just scored this one yesterday and I'm loving it. 20181109_121533.jpg

14. tce63

tce63 Tele-Afflicted

HNGD, looks great

Kreepy likes this.
  15. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have zero need for a 4th tele but I would have grabbed that so fast! Congrats.

Kreepy likes this.
  16. Kreepy

Kreepy Tele-Meister

Same here. I sold one to grab this one. I've been looking for a black guard 50s tele to be a stable mate for my classic series 60s tele. Wish it had the 7.25 radius instead of the 9.5 but I can live with it. I love the color and wanted the nitro finish.

17. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The color is very cool. And I love nitro finishes. I have an MJT body in a metallic tangerine. Yeah, tangerine. When I first saw it I thought it was more a coppery/orange gold. It’s gorgeous with an black brushed anodized aluminum pickguard I put on it. I also have a 50’s Road Worn tele. The early version. In sunburst with the 7.25 radius neck. My first tele. The Tex Mex pups are terrific though I wouldn't call then classic tele sound. These copper ones have “Vintage-style single-coil tele” pickups? Hmmm....

I just saw on Reverb there are a lot of these copper RW teles. But new for $899. A bit rich for me at this time. I may watch for a used one some day and if it’s under $600 I might consider.

bravescoob, heffus and Kreepy like this.
  18. Kreepy

Kreepy Tele-Meister

I just saw on Reverb there are a lot of these copper RW teles. But new for $899. A bit rich for me at this time. I may watch for a used one some day and if it’s under $600 I might consider.[/QUOTE]
    Supposedly there are only 200 of these. The brad paisley model is selling used for about what this is selling for new. The paisley is everywhere and this being less common I figured what the hell. As for the pickups I like them. Not sure what they are. Some sites call them texmex and some say vintage style single coil. Haven't bothered to open the guitar up to see.

19. DesmoTele

DesmoTele TDPRI Member

HNGD, Kreepy!

I played one of these for a bit yesterday when I went to put my HW1 Texas on layaway. I really liked the guitar overall, especially the neck and the color. I was a bit surprised to find out about the 9.5" radius, as I have several Teles with that radius and the RW sure seemed 'rounder' to my new and unsophisticated hands. I might have to be on the lookout for one of these in a few years though, once I learn some more.

Kreepy likes this.
  20. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

I might have grabbed one if I hadn't already ordered this

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.