Fender launches a hand-wired ’64 Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sombrero Top, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The Custom Shop tag means little to me. I don't just assume its top quality because the Fender Custom shop tag is on it. Joyo are quite capable of copying that circuit on a budget too. Just like a guy in his garage is. The guy in his garage would more than likely take more care in doing it than the ladies working for minimum wage on the production line at fender.

Tim S likes this.
  2. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Unless you've played one, and taken one a part to inspect the supposed deficiencies that you mention, I suggest you zip it up. Otherwise, you're talking nonsense. Seriously, like you have no idea what you're talking about. Opinion and facts are not the same thing. You're just another blow hole blathering on about something that you know nothing about. "...the guy in his garage...". You mean, like "Joe six pack? You're exactly the reason I stoped coming to this site.

3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Are you sure it wasn't being called out on a obvious personality disorder that stopped you coming to the site?
    How about pulling your head in and using some manners. Have you played one and dissected it or are you just assuming its a high quality reproduction built in the exact same way as the original because Fender are making it? The guy in his garage refence was meaning anyone who takes the time to study the circuit and source the same parts as the original is capable of building one. I don't buy into the whole brand name mojo when dealing with a reproduction amp.

I can see that it's unsettling to you but the name attached to the circuit and components doesn't really matter if they are identical. What you are willing to pay for that circuit is a personal choice. I'd be tempted to purchase a $300 buck version of Fenders $2k amp if it sounded the same or close enough and was built in the same way.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Fender can't build a "handwired" that's like an original PR and meet RoHS recyclability requirements. In particular RoHS is a virtual ban on lead. There are several manifestations of RoHS compliance. You can't sell in the EU if you're not RoHS compliant. There are other countries we won't mention who export non- compliant merch and yet insist anything that comes in is RoHS compliant.

RoHS compliance means lead free solder.

It usually means lots of push- on connectors rather than solder joints.

Fender used exactly zero push- on connectors in 1964. Everything is soldered in an original PR.

If you open up a Joyo you'll see lots of push- on connectors. Open up a Fender... Hey, ho! Push- on connectors are well represented in the Fender "handwired".

You'll see switches clearly marked "Made in China" in both of 'em.

The nice Carling switches are made in Mexico, now.

I can't imagine leaving the house with two grand in my pocket and not being able to come home with an original Princeton Reverb. Pardon me but I'm a fairly shrewd horse trader. If we're talkin' SF Princeton Reverbs it's conceivable I could take a little more time and come close to buyin' two of 'em for $2k. Maybe two for $2k plus good and valuable considerations? That means cash plus trade bait, maybe a guitar plus cash.

@BobbyZ scored an original BF at a pawn shop for $900. They're out there!

David Allen's Sweet Spot is well under two grand. It's 100% no BS handwired and loaded with premium parts.

If you insist on a real Fender George Alessandro does handwired PRRI conversions in Pennsylvania.

There was a Handwired way, way up on the top shelf of the Aladdin's Amp Cave I was at Sunday. I gave it a glance. I left with a '70s Traynor Guitar Mate. I can buy four of them for two grand. It occupies a niche between a Princeton Reverb and a Deluxe Reverb. It's a single channel with reverb and trem. It was handwired in Toronto almost fifty years ago. Like any vintage Traynor it would likely survive a three meter drop on to concrete or a tumble down a flight of stairs.

5. Jared Purdy

Unless anyone of you who criticize this amp have actually taken it a part to inspect the build process, and found out the hourly rate of assemblers (and others in the process), I'm sorry, but you are speaking purely from opinion, which matters little. Facts are what matter.

What Fender has done with the PRRI or the DRRI is not necessarily the same, and unlikely the same, as what they have done with the Custom Shop hand wired versions. Seriously, you guys bash away, on a Fender forum no less, the very product that you purport to endorse.

Unless you have taken one of these amps apart and inspected the build process, your comments are empty. Meaningless. Lets see some empirical evidence of the deficiencies that you speak of. Go get a 64' PR hand wired, or a DR hand wired and disassemble it, and point out the deficiencies compared to a similar priced amp. If you're not prepared to do that, then your comments are meaningless.

Manok and markos like this.
  6. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

The last time I checked, this was a discussion board. Facts are announced. Opinions are discussed.

7. Jared Purdy

There's a difference between someone who posts a comment that is stated as fact, versus a comment that is posted as opinion. I'm not sure what point it is you're trying to make? If people are going to post statements that are presented as factual, then they ought to be prepared to back them up with facts, otherwise they can begin with caveat emptor "my opinion, which is not based on anything real....." Nuff said. A discussion board is not necessarily devoid of facts, is it? If it is, then that should be made apparent, because there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here with degrees and diplomas in electronics, who might want to know if they are participating in discussions that are based on junk science and subjectivities.

8. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

This seems like a zero sum game when viewed over time, that encompasses the pursuit of an idealized sound over the sound , in this example, over the sound that I am currently using.
    not unlike searching for the holy grail, it's alway just out of reach glowing.for me I find things that work for me and work on utilizing those things in away that enhances my vocabulary.
    Admittedly my vocabulary is barely speech let alone poetry or even prose.
    when I hit the playback button, sometimes I hear something authentic that I want to say and most of the other times it's fragmented sub-vocalizations.This is not related to the tools that I am using ,it is simple a matter of how I am using them.
    A new hand-wired Deluxe reissue or a Vintage well maintained Model 26 Deluxe will not enhance what I am attempting to say in any meaningful way though one may massage my vanity better than the other.

muchxs and Tim S like this.
  9. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

You need to grab the bull by the (redacted) (that's the difference between a bull and a steer) :lol: and build $300 handwired Princeton Reverb replicas in Australia. Clearly we're talking Australian dollars. I suggest to cut labor costs you do as much of it as you can yourself. Build the cabinet. Bend up the chassis. Source all the parts, stir it up et voila...

Your stated goal is a $300 amp that acts and sounds like a Princeton Reverb.

That's everyone's goal, stated or not.

Guys like me have seen enough real Princeton Reverbs, we'd like to see something that looks right, that smells right, that even uses the correct color wire and is wired like the originals.

I build mine like a juxtaposition of '67 and '73. I haven't used any pass throughs, yet. That avoids a lump of wire under the trem circuit.

It seems Fender's plan is handwired for those willing to pay for them and Tonemasters for aficionados of the inscrutable black box.

There are numerous means to the same end. Fender's biggest competition is their own vintage products. Why buy repro when you can have the real thing?

As I've mentioned there are some very competent products from the boutique aftermarket. Two Rock should take a swing at it.

I can take off my glasses which literally blurs the differences between amps. Glasses on, a Traynor followed me home. I have a very forlorn 1980 PR already.

As a sometimes alchemist I'm working on reducing the approximately $700 parts cost for a Princeton Reverb. Georg Alessandro figured it out already. Start with a PRRI, dump out everything inside and build it back up with Alessandro handwired guts.

I'm going to do a Princeton Reverb conversion on a Guitar Mate. It has the right panel layout and controls.

Another idea is to swap feature for feature. I'm going to delete the trem, add a midrange control and a master volume. And maybe an FX loop.

10. Manok

Manok TDPRI Member

i did a A/B test with the HW and a limited edition PRRI in solide pine with a better celestion gold inside... same settings.. and i swear, we where laughing when plugged into the reissue!!! i'm broke, had to leave with the hand wired, (i just had a Morgan PR 12 before... no comparaison, this one f... them all :)) stop arguing and go..compare it, if you play guitar ;))

BlueCajun and Jared Purdy like this.
  11. Jared Purdy

Clearly you didn't read through the thread: I bought the amp, and I've had a PRRI and an original, stock 74' Silverface so I'm speaking from facts, not opinions.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.