Fender launches a hand-wired ’64 Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sombrero Top, Jan 17, 2020.

1. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic

It would de-value the reissue Princeton if you could buy it for roughly what any number of guys are offering as very well (maybe better. probably better) built clones.
    But it's their amp. It's their design. So it's 23 hun. No one will be forced to buy it.

For $2300, it should have a death cap, I think. I mean, come on.

corliss1 likes this.
  2. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

My local shop Parkway Music, already has one in stock. Looks and sounds like a princeton!

3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

David Allen can build you one for several hundred bucks less.

Jared Purdy and muchxs like this.
  4. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Good point, really. I have Fender amps made in Corona. Though I suspect the components were not all USA-made. Yes, I do try to buy gear made in the USA, or, secondarily, made by real people in a decently-run shop elsewhere. I do this when I can -- which is usually --and because I can. I respect that others think differently and/or are stuck with what's affordable or available to them. And finally, I would certainly not buy a hand-wired amp so that I can mod it! First off, I try to buy stuff that I don't need to mod, and secondly, I have almost no trouble modding circuit-boarded amps (or effects, for that matter). Haven't screwed on up yet.

5. Fuga Mante

Fuga Mante TDPRI Member

You know what really bothers me about these hand-wired offerings by Fender is that having the chance to help bolster production of era correct parts (like they are pretending on doing with some of the signal caps) they rather “update” the AA1164 circuit with mount-on-board filter caps—when CE Distributors are currently making excellent can caps right here in America.

I made it a priority to source the closest to form and quality components for my AA1164 clone, and the result was stellar. Since, I’ve always feared loosing the ONLY company making can caps a la Mallory, given the fact that there’s no way my OCD would leave me alone if I were to build another clone laking such an integral part of the “look”. Yeah, probably the amp is way more serviceable without one... but come on! Let’s endorse American products whenever we can, Fender...

6. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I may well buy one of those. I was tempted with the hand wired Deluxe, even at the price. But it's more amp than I need. I'll definitely take a peak at the had wired PR though.

I checked out their current reissue incarnation with the pine cab and the Celestion Creamback. Beautiful looking amp but way too much bass when compared side by side to the stock, PRRI. I was told by the clerk in the store that my observation was a common complaint.

7. Jared Purdy

$3000 in Toronto. Still, I want to hear one. Fender won't be doing this forever, so it'll hold it's value.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  8. Jared Purdy

Cosmo Music in Markham, just north of TO. $3000 has it listed on their web site. I'm going to call them today to see if they have it in stock. Otherwise, try Tundra. They're in TO. Last time I was there, about two weeks ago, they had the new hand wired Deluxe.

9. Jared Purdy

As per usual, we get stiffed when trying to see US prices in the US. That link won't open, and when I type fender.com into the browser, it brings up the page with the amp, but no pricing. O e local store just outside Toronto has it listed for $3000CDN, which is roughly $2300US.

10. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

David Allen can build you a better one for several hundred bucks less.

There. Fixed it!

While we're at it George Alessandro is doing handwired conversions on PRRIs and '68 Customs.

Tim S and Jared Purdy like this.
  11. Jared Purdy

I'm 60, and I'm working on an excuse to buy one :lol: And even at my relatively younger age than you, it'll never pay for itself. But if that was the only reason to buy one, much like fishing, I would have given up long ago!! :lol:

Tim S likes this.
  12. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

I dug into one again at my local dealer. Stays cleaner a bit longer than my ‘73 did, great reverb and trem. Had more clarity than a standard reissue to me.

13. Jared Purdy

Well, that's true, and there are a number of other builders who can build one for several hundred dollars less too. However, it will never be a Fender Custom Shop hand wired, 64' PR, built to spec in 2020. I suspect that the mojo that Fender has, deserved or not, will out last most of the boutique builders.

14. muchxs

If I remember correctly you're the same guy who was smitten by the handwired goodness of his Xits.

What changed?

There's a reason "boutique" amps are boutique. The real world tangible quality of a handwired boutique amp generally starts at a level higher than would be plausible at Fender. Bonafide "boutique" amps range from high quality to exceedingly high quality.

I played a Morgan, an Amplified Nation and a Carol Ann today. They're so much better built than anything from the Big F it's not even funny.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Tim S likes this.
  15. Jared Purdy

Not sure where you get the Xits reference from. You must be thinking of someone else. Never had one, was never Jonesing for one. I've played through one, and a good friend has one, but that was it. What's the reference to the Xits, anyways?

I have been quite taken with Swart amps, and I've had two. Build quality is off the charts. But, I couldn't settle on the tone. Never played a Morgan or a Amplified Nation, but I have played a couple of Carol Ann's and I wasn't happy with either of the ones I tried. To each their own, right?

Something that is better built means little if the tone that you're after isn't there. You sound like you've got an axe to grind. Getting bitter in your old age?

16. muchxs

Everyone goes by nicknames here. Some sound like others.

It's too bad you don't have an Xits. They're really well built. The amps are still around and holding their own.

Lotta musicians view their amp as The Inscrutable Black Box. That's a topic I'm going to explore further in coming weeks and months. The (often prevailing) concept is an amp is an inscrutable black box. If you don't know what's going on inside that's what it is... an inscrutable black box. Then it doesn't matter what's inside, tube, solid state, analog, digital. We very quickly get into subjective judgements of quality and tone. If we don't understand what is going on inside our amps our judgements by necessity become subjective.

We can check off boxes such as "must be a reissue of a vintage amp" or "must be handwired". Or "Must have FX loop." Or "Must have 'powerscaling'." Or whatever.

Subjectively judging by tone is a quick way to buy similar amplifiers over and over. Many of them are a tweak or two away from where they need to be.

Sidebar: I'm not terribly concerned with solid state and I'm not at all interested in modeling amps. As far as I'm concerned a modeling amp is a computer pretending to be a guitar amplifier. There is an entire container over at the transfer station filling up with computers and flat screen TVs. Thankfully the personal communications market is leaning towards handheld devices, otherwise it's a matter of time until we fill our landfills with obsolete electronics.

The product cycle of personal electronics seems to be accelerating. How long did it take to get to I Phone 11? How much bloated code do we need to require "5G"?

That's all rhetorical. Point is as far as I'm concerned the voice of rock 'n' roll or for that matter music in general is the 12AX7 tube. Little light bulb goes on at this point for tweed Deluxe owners. "Wait! Wait! Mine has a 12AY7 tube!" Anyway, the idea is for the most part the first thing your signal sees in just about any (tube) guitar amp is a dual triode tube.

The SS and modeling amp guys got hip to that. They started using tubes in their SS and modeling amps.

Next part of the plan is to make that dual triode tube loud.

It's not very complicated and there aren't endlessly diverse repetitions on the theme.

Trick is to dichotomize similarities and differences. Group similar circuits. Draw lines between amplifiers with familial relationships.

Let's backtrack to yesterday's "Tone Adventure":

I had a "Guitarcenter- esque" experience although it wasn't at Guitarcenter. It was at a shop I visit about twice a year. I guess I'm all set for 2020 with one visit on Saturday and another on Sunday. You know it wasn't Guitarcenter 'cuz how many Guitarcenters have a Carol Ann stacked on top of a Ceriatone Dumble clone on the shelf next to an Amplified Nation which is next to a couple Friedmans which is across the room from a formation of Morgans and I'm probably leaving out the vast majority of their inventory. A room full of Good Stuff.

They have a nice inventory of used Canadian amps. That's why I was there.

The several guys who were riffing out were trying to decide on which $2000- plus guitar was comin' home with them.

Me, I just wanted to be sure the Traynor I was looking at was nominally intact and hadn't been attacked by a drill wielding lunatic. Initially, it doesn't really matter to me what it sounds like or even if it works. I can take care of that when I get it home. Within reason I can make it sound like whatever I want.

I absolutely couldn't abide by my amp bein' an Inscrutable Black Box. It would bother me. I absolutely don't want to get stuck on the endless GAS treadmill buyin' guitar after guitar and amplifier after amplifier chasing after some elusive "tone in my head".

Decades ago I achieved my personal "phase alignment" so to speak. The tone in my head is aligned with the tone in my amps. Tones in my head, plural. From what I've heard the tones in my head match up nicely with other musicians' "Bucket List" tones.

I decided I'd celebrate with a lavish expenditure. I left with a cuddly little candy apple red Stratocaster. It cost me fifty bucks.

:D :D :D

Fuga Mante and Tim S like this.
  17. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Cool, I wonder how long it will take until Joyo releases one for a fraction of the price.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  18. muchxs

Considering Fender and Joyo are using the same myriad of push- on connectors... that's not as much of a stretch as you might think.

IMO all those push on connections should be soldered connections. The push on connections are used for production expediency. Sure, it's "hand wired"...

:rolleyes:

Chunkocaster likes this.
  19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

With Fenders short cuts and high prices it's not surprising others have started cloning their products and can still turn a decent profit from them without the need for a strong reputation in the market.

20. Jared Purdy

You're putting a Fender Custom shop amp in the same ball park as Joyo? Seriously? This is when these discussions just start to fall apart into meaningless debasement. Let's bash Fender, let's bash Martin, let's bash Gibson, and on, and on, and on....

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.