Fender launches a hand-wired ’64 Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sombrero Top, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Retired Schmuck

Retired Schmuck TDPRI Member

Find the money. You won't be sorry.

2. Retired Schmuck

This is the real thing. Made in Fender Corona California US Custom Shop by first rate techs I trust. Any tech will tell you Fender is the real deal. Fenders have a clean logical layout. A boutique is not a Fender. Many no-names are a rats nest of wires. A clean hand wired Mesa Boogie California Tweed is on par technically but is even more expensive.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  3. Retired Schmuck

They never had Catalytic Converters in those days. There are dozens of manufacturing regulations that exist now that did not exist then. There are taxes now that did not exist then. There are regulations about wood, paint, metal, plastic, electrical parts, workplace safety, international exports, shipping, Homeland security.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  4. Retired Schmuck

The amps are made in Fender Corona California Custom Shop. You can take a tour every Thursday.

5. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Show me the numbers. I bet it stacks up to thin air in this case.

6. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Nice.

Good job on Fender for those who have the money this is a great option and very competetive price given the money.

They should do more stuff like this. This is going to be a massive hit.

A modern amp made with old school techniques. I love it. If I had that type of cash Id be on it now.

Good stuff.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  7. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You might not understand this but it isn’t 1967 anymore and the Reissue Princeton Reverb lists for around a thousand dollars

Jared Purdy likes this.
  8. RWB

RWB TDPRI Member

I haven't seen one posted on a retail site up here in Canada yet, but I'll keep checking. Sure it will be expensive but I won't rule it out. Modern PCB amps are fine and sound great but I don't have the skills or experience to maintain or repair them, but I'm good with hand-wired eyelet board construction.

And yes, even new equipment can have problems as I recall from my original 1965 Deluxe Reverb. It was only a year old when it went up in a puff of smoke one night. One of the 6V6 power tubes failed as well as the first cap under the doghouse. I could have fixed it easily if I knew then what I know now. I just had to pay the $20 for parts and labour!

Jared Purdy likes this.
  9. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

This is a good question to consider. I'm 49 this year. I have two smaller 70s Silverface Fender amps (no PR, though). I've repaired them both myself. Not stellar work, but I'm still new at it. They are working fine for my needs.

I'm going to live, what, maybe another 40 years, give or take?

I did repair them both for cheaper than taking them to a tech. I also got them for very cheap. A real original princeton would cost a lot more. But repair wouldn't be.

I don't gig for pay. So, it appears, at least in my case, that buying the new handwired PR would never pay for itself from an economic standpoint.

But I'm also a pretty extreme cheapskate when it comes to music gear. As much as I would love to have a princeton (new or old), HW or PCB. I can't justify the cost. I will never be the target market, anyway.

Still, it's a good though exercise. I'm sure there are people in the target that should weigh this out.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Jared Purdy likes this.
  10. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Have you ever put the tubes from the '64 hand-wired Princeton, into the '65 PCB Princeton, and used the alnico Jensen P10R, just to isolate the "amplifier portion" of each amp?

My gut instinct tells me the PCB '65 Princeton---using the same tubes and Jensen alnico speaker as the '64 hand-wired---would sound more similar to its hand-wired cousin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tim S likes this.
  11. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

12. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m very interested, it may be my next amp.

13. markos

markos TDPRI Member

The OP is talking about the handwired version, which does in fact list for about $2300. You're talking about the PCB version.

14. markos

markos TDPRI Member

No, $2300 today would be similar to around $280 in 1964.

LuthRavin likes this.
  15. Sombrero Top

Sombrero Top Tele-Meister

1967 Fender amp price list: Princeton Reverb was $174.50, Deluxe Reverb $[​IMG] 249.50

markos likes this.
  16. Caleb Cull

Caleb Cull TDPRI Member

I work in manufacturing and he's got a point. Regulations changes can double your materials cost in one year, let alone 55.

Beyond that, in any business your largest overhead is always going to be the labour cost. And people always make the mistake of saying "Okay, but even if it takes twenty man-hours at forty bucks an hour to make one of these that's less than a third of the price", except that it takes more people to make something than just the guys who physically hang it together. My company manufactures for the construction industry so we are very fabrication-heavy and employ lots of technical staff, but between one-third and half of our employees are non-production. You have to factor in the cost of R&D, project management, purchasing, stock management, facilities management, accounts, payroll, HR and so on and so on. And then you've got sales and marketing. All of those things combine to make 2020 FMIC a much more expensive company to run than 1964 Fender.

17. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I know, all I was really trying to say is you can’t compare prices from 1967 to current prices.

18. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

at first I thought that you were referring to the:
    Brown Hand-wired ’62 Princeton Chris Stapleton Edition@ $1,999.00

It's so danged hard to keep up with all of the revamped remodeled resized and colorized new and improved editions of basic reliable products.
    I just can not seem to keep up, it old age creeping in on the gray matter or maybe it's the road wear.

Tim S likes this.
  19. sferguso

sferguso TDPRI Member

It’s only irrelevant if you’re never going to modify or repair it. You have the freedom to buy what ever you want to, I really don’t think you are Fenders target customer. Nothing wrong with that, I don’t own a custom shop Telecaster either. Not to say I still wouldn’t like one.

So you would rather buy sweat shop produced products that don’t support your local economy?

20. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic

I'm sure there will be about 50 of them on youtube in the next year.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.