Fender launches a hand-wired ’64 Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sombrero Top, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

My PRRI is a 64 /65 BF re-issue and not hand wired and has a Ceramic 10" Jensen speaker, But Oh it sounds ssoooo good.

Junior59 likes this.
  2. markos

markos TDPRI Member

Looks great. Never knew JBL 10 was an option on those. My 64 Deluxe has the grill cloth badge, but most small amps didn't have them.

That looks like my Dano I sold years ago when I lived in Cali. 3-pup model. Neck was too fat for my childish hands.

Junior59 likes this.
  3. Junior59

Junior59 TDPRI Member

if I needed another one, that's the one id buy

4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

How long is a PRRI supposed to last?

"It's easier to repair" is an odd reason to buy this hand wired one. How many repairs do you have to do to make up for it being more than 2x the price of the PCB one?

And no way it's the same as the original anyway.. the original ones wouldn't pass CPSC/UL/whatever requirements would they? This is another RI amp that has a different circuit/design than the original but that tries to get as close as possible to the sound of the original, no different than the PCB RI version.

Buy it if you like it, don't try to justify it.

Tim S, LuthRavin and Junior59 like this.
  5. Caleb Cull

Caleb Cull TDPRI Member

Comparatively few guitarists, and even fewer owners of handwired valve combos, consider "loud enough to gig without a PA" to be the deciding factor in their choice of amplifier.

Sure, if you only play dive bars you'll need a rig that keeps up with your rhythm section unaided, but I'm not sure why anyone would budget anything in four figures for that purpose.

Jared Purdy and Junior59 like this.
  6. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

I would buy one if I weren't so old. That's right I couldn't afford one when I was young. Youth is waisted on the young. We should have youth when we are old and can afford stuff.

7. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Some of the closest available small builder options are the Allen Sweet Spot, $1,749 with 10", the Morgan PR12, $1,949 (12" speaker), the Carr Sportsman is $2,190. Vintage models have been selling for $1,250-$2,500 (depending on BF or SF and condition). I have a 1967 I bought a couple years back for $1,800 and I wouldn't trade it for this new one. If I were going new, I'd opt for the Allen (the 12" version). Still, If they sell everyone they make for $2,300, it was the right price.

Junior59 likes this.
  8. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

In stock at the candy store, hmmm, I'm amp poor at the moment... :

Jared Purdy, loco gringo and Junior59 like this.
  9. Junior59

Junior59 TDPRI Member

In the 80’s I played a half stack, got tired of being told to turn down. Traded down to a vibroverb 2x10, got tired of being told to turn down. Traded down to the 1964 PR. Just right. And any venue with an actual stage, has sound reinforcement (around here at least, nowadays). My PR has gotta be my favorite and most versatile amp. But I do still love playing a half stack when I can.

Edit: Any amp I use is always fully cranked, I like playing playing loud, and I like the fully cranked sound. Easier to do that around polite company, with a small amp.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    ZackyDog likes this.
  10. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Small amps through a PA is a lot more controllable than trying to balance everyone’s amp, and for a lot of venues, genres, and bands, a PR is more than enough. A friend of mine plays bar gigs with a fairly loud rock band using a 12 watt 2x6V6 amp. Julian Lange gigs with a Vibro Champ.

Apache Snow and Junior59 like this.
  11. Junior59

Junior59 TDPRI Member

My 1964 PR has been heavily gigged by me since 89 or so. And it was pretty road worn when I got it. But I’d take to a tech periodically for service and it was always good to go. Then in 2015 on a two weeker Cali to Tenn (and back), it failed the second night out, and I had to do the whole rest of the tour with my back up (a Champ, every venue had sound reinforcement). Took three different techs to get it sorted after that. Still my sweetheart amp but retired from gigging pretty much.

So to answer your first question, to my way of reckoning? 51 years.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  12. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I saw this in my local CL.

Vintage Fender Princeton Amp. Brownface 1962 - $2200 (Ventura)
    image 1 of 2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Vintage Fender Princeton Amp. Brownface 1962. Xlnt. Cond. No tears in tolex or grill cloth. All original. Oxford speaker code 465-219. Original transformers. 606236 & 606237. Tube Chart marked LJ ( Oct. 1962 ). No footswitch. some what looks like white paint specs on lower back panel. Probably easily removable. Great low wattage amp. Runs quiet and sounds fantastic. Tremolo sounds unreal. $2200.00 firm. Leave a phone # if interested.

13. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

How does the circuit differ from the vintage PR's?. I thought they were supposed to be the same circuit.
    Al

14. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

As much as this amp appeals to me, I'm holding out/saving for a Matchless Spitfire...

15. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

I'd like to know where Fender sourced the transformers for the 64 Custom PR. There's no mention of anything high end in the sales blurb.

16. Sombrero Top

Sombrero Top Tele-Meister

NAMM video said "Schumacher transformers".

17. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Doesn’t mean much anymore, the brand’s been bought and sold. Just a name at this point. In my Drri, some didn’t have markings besides eia code, but the reverb transformer was definitely chinese.

18. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

That’s top of the mark for a brownie. I paid hundreds less this fall.

Crobbins likes this.
  19. Retired Schmuck

Retired Schmuck TDPRI Member

Believe me the '64 Hand Wired Custom Deluxe or Princeton is definitely different than the PCB and the Deluxe Tone Master. I have all of them. I can sell the PCB now because it is expendable. The Hand Wired '64 Custom Deluxe and the Tone Master are both indispensable. The hand wired just for pure beautiful sound, lush reverb and the output tube bias tremolo which the PCB definitely does not have. The Tone Master for the decent sound and the IR recording output bypassing the need for a mic when you want to record and you don't have an environment or time to set up for recording with a mic. Both amps sound great, one or the other or both in stereo. The power scaling on the Tone Master is definitely another killer feature. Leave the hand wired at home. Take the Tone Master to the gig where nobody but me knows the difference. The hand wired is pricey yes but if you love great tube sound, hand wired is the only way to go. PCB if you don't care. My Supersonic 100 PCB is strictly a backup amp. The Hand Wired and Tone Master are the go-to amps. The Supersonic PCB has already been in the shop for tubes and diode replacement, it took 6 months for the tech to locate the problem. The Hand Wired or Tone Master could be serviced in days but no trouble yet. Remember what Bruce Zinky (Vibro-King) said about guitar amps: "Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence."

Jared Purdy likes this.
  20. Retired Schmuck

Retired Schmuck TDPRI Member

I have been running a Champ 25 SE since 1994, bought new. So that's 26 years. By accident, I broke the input jack and had it replaced in hours so not a fault of the amp. It is a heavy amp compared to my Tone Master Deluxe. On Stage, I like the Tone Master better. I will get a new set of 6L6 power tubes for the Champ and then compare. The Champ 25 SE was about $400 back in 1994. So still a good investment a quarter century later.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.