Fender launches a hand-wired ’64 Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sombrero Top, Jan 17, 2020.

1. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

"Hand-wired" is irrelevant unless the hands are skilled and the components are superior. I'd rather have a good -- emphasis on good -- circuit board than a circuit assembled by underpaid piece-workers on an assembly line somewhere. Unless I knew that Fender was employing skilled labor and paying them well, and using upgraded parts -- and maybe they are! -- this kind of product has no attraction for me.

2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

This is indeed much the same as the discussion that came up around the '64 DR' handwired RI.

Here's the thing. You pays your money and you makes your choice. Fender has every right to charge what they do, I don't mean legally, but logically; they're not in business to compete with private builders or small boutique shops.

If you're on any kind of budget you'll almost certainly be just as happy with a PRRI. No need to wonder or worry.

If you have the dough, *and* you don't want to build or buy boutique (paths that can lead to a better-built, more personalized amp that actually sounds better to *you*) then this is a nice choice as you'll get the ease of service and internal happiness of knowing you got a handwired amp with (mostly) top-drawer components, Fender name, easy resale, etc.

Is it weird to anyone besides me that the big 'upgrade' in speaker was to go from Italian C10R to P10R? If you've tried ceramic v. alnico in a PR, you'll know they're different (and alnico will sound 'older' and 'tubier' and 'sweeter') -- but for $1300 you might have expected... oh, wait, business constraints and image management. Gotta be some reissue Jensen.

Finally, I'm of two minds about the lead dress. Sure, I hate the way that looks and would never have it in an amp I built. OTOH, PRs built in the '70s looked sorta like that -- loopy and loose -- and don't really sound much worse than the nice tidy '64-'66 wiring we admire. So maybe they should call it the '74 Custom Princeton Reverb. :D

3. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Just wait, that’ll be next year’s custom

King Fan likes this.
  4. ConsiderMeMiles

ConsiderMeMiles Tele-Meister

+1 for the Jim Campilongo shout-out.

5. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m interested in the ‘64 HW BFPR. I own a near mint 1965 Deluxe Reverb but I would almost be afraid to gig with it. It’s just too nice I’ve a vintage amp category. My next Fender amp was planned to be a SF Princeton Reverb. This Handwired BFPR might open some other possibilities.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    blueruins and ZackyDog like this.
  6. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

You must not have worked much in manufacturing. And I guess you wont be in the market for one.

King Fan likes this.
  7. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

Yup there's that QC and probably tighter tolerance components. Although the choice of Jensen P10R just makes me go blergh.

8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

I am very partial to alnico speakers, having been spoiled by The Celestion Blue, Celestion Gold and Jensen P10R. They always sound better to me, than their ceramic counterparts.

It's great to see that this reissue employs a Jensen (P10R) alnico:

[​IMG]

MickM and markos like this.
  9. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

New, legit Fender, handwired (fixable “forever”, e.g., no pcb or chip that’s going to be eol in 2026), has a decent warranty, passed a real factory QC. Unassembled comparative kit is going to cost ~ a grand shipped, at minimum. If you’re not a builder/tech, IMO this is good amp to get. Clones don’t really hold value over time but repairable branded Fenders do (65+ years of proof on that). In 2086 I bet you can sell it for triple what you bought it for :lol:.

Jared Purdy and RadioFM74 like this.
  10. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Yummy.

BFPR = best sounding Fender amp ever made IMO. Not loud enough for lots of things, but in terms of pure tone, in a vacuum, the BFPR is IT for me.

With a list price of $2,300, standard retail (M.A.P.) should be about $1,600.

Not the worst price in the world. Not the best price either if all you don't care about it "actually being" a Fender.

I am lucky enough to have a stock '68 (minus a speaker recone in the '90s), and I love it to death. Therefore, it's hard for me to judge what I'd spend on a new one, because it isn't something I desperately "need." Even so, I think $1,600 for a hand wired "actual Fender" in today's market really isn't that horrible. The '65 PRRI has a M.A.P. of a grand, for comparison.

Jared Purdy, loco gringo and gridlock like this.
  11. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

12. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

On an almost weekly basis I get emails offering 15% off the listed price from the online music stores. So you can get at least 15% off.

tho618 likes this.
  13. Caleb Cull

Caleb Cull TDPRI Member

Companies charge what the market will bear.

Every time a company puts out some limited edition, boutique-style hand-made vintage reissue whatever you get armchair accountants with their "well, in 1924 this would have retailed for $4.95 or $1,250.50 in 2020 money, so this is way overpriced" and you get your armchair engineers with their "heck I could knock one of these up on my back porch for one-third of the money, parts and labour", but in your haste to complain that that extra grand is paying for marketing costs, you're forgetting that the whole thing is a marketing exercise.

FMIC, although they do make a real profit on their high-end stuff, are in the business of manufacturing cheap goods for mass-market. The reason they have divisions that continue to fabricate the (perceived) highest-end, most desirable instruments on the planet is to maintain the brand image, so young kids will choose a Mustang amp over a Line6 Spider, or even a Hot Rod Deluxe over a Marshall DSL40.

Why do people bang on about how Squier's Classic Vibes compare favourably to a $4k Fender CS? You think Fender don't know people are sniggering in guitar stores over companies with the gall to charge used car money for guitars when there's one almost as good next to it for three days' wages?

A handful of people DO buy the highest-end stuff, and arguably they're overpaying for what the product actually is, although they would probably argue not, because when you have that kind of money to spend on luxuries, your priorities are different.

Uncle Daddy and Snfoilhat like this.
  14. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

School me on something...why would someone pay that much for an amp that doesn't even have the power for the smallest gig, unless you mike it? Even a Deluxe wouldn't cut one of my gigs,but we never mike anything.
    Lot better choices for $2400 that at least have some power.
    BTW my first amp ever was a blackface Princeton. Cost $55 at Straub music in Syosset in '67,brand new.

15. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Ummm... Because not everybody gigs.

16. Junior59

Junior59 TDPRI Member

4A31239C-CFA9-4BC5-98FE-75528A4716A4.jpeg
    I got mine back before they were hip, for $200. Came with a JBL (which I’ve heard was a factory option in ‘64). Also I think it was common in 64 that they didn’t install a badge on the grill cloth. I posted a video of a song called Blue Eyes that features this amp. The JBL is a huge part of the sound. It’s pretty distinctive.;)
    Blue Eyes https://www.tdpri.com/threads/the-last-song-americana.997181/

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Jared Purdy likes this.
  17. Mart the Hat

Mart the Hat Tele-Holic

Because for a lot of us, miked amps are the norm at anything larger than the smallest bars. I agree a 1x10 Princeton can struggle alongside a hard hitting drummer, especially if you want it warm and clean. But I gigged for a few years with a 1x10 Princeton clone and even at 900 capacity venues or outdoor festival stages I still couldn't turn it up to where it sounded best without upsetting the brass and violin in the band.

18. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Actually the Wonderdawg is a Deluxe/super circuit in a Princeton sized cab and doesn't have trem. I own one and they are great amps which Jim will builde up to 50 watts if you'd like. They don't have trem but I'm sure Jim could build a Princeton clone if requested.

MickM likes this.
  19. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Seems to work for mike campbell

Apache Snow likes this.
  20. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You start the whole thing with a false statement, for starters. For tons of players, myself included, this is the perfect “sweet spot” amp for small gigs.

And if a Deluxe isn’t loud enough for you, I’m not sure I’d enjoy one of your performances.

Tim S, Jared Purdy, LuthRavin and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.