Fender launches a hand-wired ’64 Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sombrero Top, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Sombrero Top

Sombrero Top Tele-Meister

2. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Always good to see Shane and hear him strum a tele!
    Very nice little amp. I’m not in the market for one (jonesin’ for a Stapleton) but I’m very happy to see Fender keep the flame of old-stlye amps done the old way alive.

3. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nice!
    Tanx!

4. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I got to play one of the handwired deluxes, it is one of the best sounding amps I've ever played. but I can't afford one.

Crobbins likes this.
  5. Kitarkus

Kitarkus Tele-Meister

This is going to sell like wild methinks. Too much amp for me....but a guy can dream.

Buzzgrowl likes this.
  6. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Start saving ! And, hey, who needs two kidneys anyway....

Deathray likes this.
  7. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

The Good: It's a brand new hand wired PR with warranty.(for those who need warranty)
    The Bad: Labor and production costs are up there!

No mention what the price of this amp is. I'll guess $2,000+ USD?

Many of us on here? Build one!

8. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Nice, the list price of $2,300 is too expensive. At that price I would think you could find the real thing with some digging or pay less for a quality boutique equivalent. Glad Fender is making 'em though

Mike Eskimo, Alter and boris bubbanov like this.
  9. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

If we are to take inflation calculations at face value (questionable), I don't know how anyone ever afforded a today-value $2300 practice amp in 1964. Were guitar players really putting that much money into guitar amps back then?

Rjelecaster likes this.
  10. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I (and likely anyone with a good tech nearby) could have one built for about half of that. And with that you get to pick tolex/cloth color, maybe have it be a 12" or 2x10...

11. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

but it wouldn't be a fender...

Tim S and hdvades like this.
  12. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Most fender amps of today aren't so much fender amps of yesterday's lineage. Company names are pretty trivial these days, if you ask me. Most longstanding big companies have drifted away from the qualities that gave them their good names.

keithb7 and stevemc like this.
  13. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Or look for a $350-$400 handwired VHT 12/20 reverb-tremolo with a birch ply cab, 12" speaker, adjustable effects loop, 9 volt power jack, and both an on/off switch and standby switch on the front of the control panel, not to mention a bunch of EQ controls.

stevemc likes this.
  14. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

"Buddy Guy In A Box"

Band name alert.

Crobbins likes this.
  15. markos

markos TDPRI Member

FWIW, the PR in 1967 had a list price of $174.50, which is about $1340 in 2019. So yeah, this RI is pretty pricey. Labor costs are probably higher, but there could be other factors driving the costs.

16. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

assuming this hand wired amp has the same schematic as the not hand wired version, does an amp sound different if the solder joints and wiring are done by hand? Seems electricity couldn't care less as long as the circuit is complete.
    Are there other differences I'm not aware of? I'll admit I didn't watch the video (I'm at work)

Marc Morfei and DuckDodgers like this.
  17. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Assuming all the components are the same, there shouldn't be any difference in sound at all. That said, it is sometimes the case that a manufacturer will use more expense components in a hand-wired amp and that can make a difference. Hand wired amps are generally easier and less expensive to service than amps using a printed circuit board but that's not a tone issue.

Edit -- to add I am not remotely an amp tech, so would be interested if anyone with amp tech experience can chime in on this.

18. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

I don't know if anyone else noticed the "not so neat" lead dress in that amp (around 7:15)?

I assume it's partially due to the placement of the power supply caps. The original Princeton and Princeton Reverb amps use a cap can.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  19. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I get what you are saying, and it is a valid point, but...I think that we can safely say (of any fender amp made at any time) that it was made by, sold by, branded by etc. etc. Fender or not. Even if it really was made by some factory in china or wherever. e.g. A statement like "this bootleg amplifier, even though it says Fender on it, was really not made by Fender" could be uttered and understood my most people.

And my point is (whatever one might think about Companies) that a clone amplifier built by xxx, whether it is as good as, more expensive, cheaper, better, worse or exactly the same as some Fender amp, Is still in fact not a Fender amp.

I bet in common usage, you wouldn't sell your clone (whatever the quality) as a Fender. You would probably say (just like you did) that it is better than a Fender, and cheaper too.

Ironically I think that the 64 PR we are discussing, is the company usually referred to as Fender, trying to produce an amp more similar to the amps it used to make when it was still Fender (though I'm not sure if CBS was involved in any of their operations then).

20. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

For the same money you could buy three Lil Dawg Prince combos.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.