Fender kills lacquer finish? An Obituary

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bravescoob, Jul 26, 2019.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No soy! It's lowers your "T"! I try to stay away from that stuff...and they try to put it in everything. Not my guitars!!!

:D:rolleyes::lol:

Chunkocaster likes this.
  2. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Never had a lacquered guitar, always poly. Like some lacquers but, out of reach of my finances as they are, I tend not worry about it. I think each have their own appeal. Never much liked black Teles, poly or lacquer, like red ones in either. Life’s too short............

El Tele Lobo, beagle and Chunkocaster like this.
  3. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

I think there are some contradictions in that post...

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Both need tuning. Both have their brand defenders. Both have modders. Both have supporters who like sped and flash. Both have supporters who prefer slow and spacious. Colours are more important than you think for something that has no effect on performance. Year of manufacture is vital in both.

Both need tuning. Both need servicing. Both require some technical ability to look after.

Cars and guitars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blue Bill and hellopike like this.
  5. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Cynical last point. Fender’s margins will most probably be tied to a lowest acceptable %age. They offer lower cost models because, if they didn’t, someone else would and they’d be out of the market. They will (probably) make less $s per guitar at the cheaper end but retain their GM.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not against lower cost models or using poly on them, I'm not happy about being overcharged for a nitro finished guitar though. It's just another way to maximise their profits using that stepped price policy they do so well. How else could they justify $4k plus guitars that don't differ all that much from their lower cost alternatives.

Lacquer finished guitars can be had for cheaper than fenders poly offerings if you get down to the nuts and bolts of the guitar and assemble your own. Parts are on offer all over the place that are equal to or better than what fender offer.

If you shop right and take care the average sub $1k partscaster will be indistinguishable from the $4k plus custom shop or masterbuilt offerings whether reliced or not. If you are a step ahead and actually build from scratch there are even more savings to be had and increased quality of materials.

What guitar lover wouldn't want a one piece body made from a 80yo light weight swamp ash and who would finish that body in a thick poly finish because it saved a couple bucks?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    TeleTown and El Tele Lobo like this.
  7. Guitar MD

Guitar MD TDPRI Member

The beauty of Leo Fender’s design is that these guitars may be easily reconfigured from Fender or aftermarket components.

Don’t like the fretboard or neck profile? Pick up Warmoth, Allparts, WMD or any number of Fender new/used replacements. Don’t like the poly body? Pick up an alder body and apply whatever finishes, paints, relic’ing your heart desires.
    Don’t like the pickups’ sound. Hello, Lollar, Seymour Duncan, ....

For me, this aspect remains a key attraction of Fender guitars. Some may feel that Fender should be serving these options up, and clearly Fender has come to recognize the market potential involved with vintage guitars. Personally, I find it a bit difficult to lament what’s on the Fender menu when, if you don’t like what they’re serving, you can shop for the ingredients you like and cook up something unique to your taste at home. This forum is loaded with recipes!

Currently removing satin ‘nitro’ off Warmoth neck (beauty of lacquer meets acetone) in order to aim for a more vintage relic’d result that will better match the (poly) Strat body it’s destined for. In the end, I’ll get a little extra pleasure from playing something I had a hand in (modified 5-way sw to mod middle position to be neck+bridge Tele-like combination, changed pickups, added copper shielding) though admittedly minor tweaks.

I’m sure this has been said many times in these forums, but “Thank you, Leo!”

stnmtthw and Chunkocaster like this.
  8. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

When is relic-ing a new car, to look like a beater, going to become a thing? You could pay an extra $20K to make that brand-new $150K Porsche look like it's been around the world a bit. Don't laugh, stranger things have happened.

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I think you may have the issues confused. Preserving rosewood is not about protecting the planet it's that it's an endangered species. As for nitrocellulose, I think it's more and abundance of caution about safety.

We have far more pressing problems about saving from the planet.

10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I do get them mixed up sometimes. They both result in much the same thing though. Costing us more money. I wish the two (money vs environment) could somehow be independent of each other but I cant see that happening in the immediate future. Thankfully with enough motivation trees can be replanted. When the population is engineered to keep expanding and growing in order to sustain our financial system it does reduce the amount of suitable area for those trees to be planted in as well as the consumption of that rosewood along with everything else.

11. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

Does this mean a soy finish would make the neck soft?

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That is one long paragraph trying
    to explain a misleading title.

Nitro is alive and well on Fender guitars.

Maybe go with - nitro currently unavailable on new mid-priced Fender line.

Except, whoops. The Roadworns are still available.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...aster-2-color-sunburst-with-maple-fingerboard

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Road-Worn-50s-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar.gc

As an aside, the neck finish on those has always been urethane.

13. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

True; there are still Roadworns in the warehouses, but once these are gone then there will be no more Roadworns until 2020 when Fender starts whatever new Vintera-series versions they will have. Of course there are also plenty of used ones available as well.

14. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

This is coming from a man who is thinking about adding more 2012-2017 Pure Vintage models to the arsenal because he loves the thin finishes.

I have a 2017 Gretsch Tennessean and a 1965 Gretsch Tennessean. The 2017 is not only built completely different but has a poly finish compared to the thin finish on the '65. You can't tell the difference plugged in with the same Hilotron pickups.

Once you plug in a guitar finish makes no difference in tone.

15. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

I hate those relic finishes. If you want a rough looking guitar, just buy an unfinished body and neck, paint them with thin coats of nitro lacquer, and within months, they will look like old, beat guitars without trying to make them look that way. On the other hand, most of the new Fenders I see in music stores look plastic coated. They look really cheap to me.

16. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Wait. So "lacquer" and "nitro" are the same thing? I thought this thread was about a third type of finish.

I've never heard that word used in this forum until I read this thread. It was always nitro or poly. Weird.

17. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nitrocellulose lacquer, the correct term, is a generic nomenclature... because . . . there are many, many different formulations of the finish in production.. some are catalytically cured just like Polyurethane, the correct name for that genera of finish.. some of which "air dry" using the relative humidity in the air to act as a catalyst...

In both categories. there are many formulations that would never cure unless the catalyst is added, and that catalyst can be Sound, Heat, Chemistry, etc etc, .. Commercial coatings is a pretty sophisticated science, and those two most think we're concerned with are far more complex than just two different types of "paint".

rk

18. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Trucks...

Blue Bill likes this.
  19. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Ahh ... Internet 101 .. When you've lost the argument you can always attack his grammar :D

hellopike likes this.
  20. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

Oh the intestinal fortitude and huge nuts that the anonymity of the internets provides. Face to face you would never have the nerve to say what half say.

Me on the other hand I give zero "f's" so I say what I mean most of the time with little filter. Like it or lump it if I would not say it to your face I certainly will not behind your back.
    R

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.